AF: Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads | Page 27 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by humdrum, Feb 3, 2017.

1. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Have seen plenty of them in California

2. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

Everyone,
    We all in this thread is stating the same theme about Alfa: FCA Has to EXECUTE,PERIOD!

Having a fresh,nearly from scratch Dealer Network with New People,New Rules,and New Culture is HUGE advantage in winning & retaining New potential Luxury Customers. But again FCA Has to EXECUTE.

The disagreement in this thread (in my opinion) really comes down to the various levels of faith in FCA's ability to Execute. Given the many billions,chances,and years blown on Cadillac with so-so execution by GM Management( John Smith,Wagoner,Barra come from the same cloth) Alfa with FCA Management should deserve one chance at Executing in the "Luxury league".

Bajanbuoy, Devildodge and Prabhjot like this.
  3. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I join you in that. I usually say, "I hope they sell a million of 'em".

{ But a million sales isn't their model }

4. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Say what?
    I tell everyone how good my 300C has been and how few problems I've had. I also point out that IMO the key is staying out of the dealership. But I've had far less problems than my neighbors/friends/family with their Acura, BMW and Infinity G's.
    Heck, I even hold school almost weekly with Acura, Lexus owners who must not see the Hemi badge on the rear trunk. I even extend my classes to the occasional BMW 3 and 5 series owners.
    185K and the Hemi is still kicking butt on the highway. LOL!

Bajanbuoy and caine440 like this.
  5. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Watching grammys, best part was the All Dodge commercial. A lot of the show needed sub titles, audio needes to be mixed for a large screen tv speakers. Don't have Dolby 7.1 system. The CMA comes across better and seriously the Beatles became a hit on pocket transistor radios. Anayway Dodge should have gotten best of show!

JavelinAMX likes this.
  6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The 500 has received reliability awards. I know you had issues with the 500L but you should not just throw a blanket over the whole brand due to your issues. I know many people who have had zero issues with there 500's and absolutely love them.

The 500L had the wrong transmission and did not sell well in general.

Mike

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, quality has improved. But the early 500's didn't have it. The 500L still has a poor engine choice. Even if Fiat began producing perfect cars tomorrow, it would take years for the perception to improve. Sorry but the early cars reinforced all the old stereotypes. Look how long it took Hyundai to recover. Many years of "America's best warranty" commercials and the quality to back it up. That's the kind of work Fiat has ahead of it.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Someone needs to tell you that the Fiat dealers are not new. They have been around since 2010. The Maserati dealers have been around even longer.

The dealer network has been established and the buying public knows those dealers. Very few, if any, pure Alfa stores are being built. So, this is not from scratch.

Those dealers need to EXECUTE even more than FCA. FCA's work is done (with the exception of stocking parts). The dealers will need to impress customers now and FCA needs to back them up. If that does not happen.........

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And those Fiat dealerships are often owned by the same dealer group that has a CDJR franchise with the same quality of service and facilities. Alfa won't succeed unless it has better.
    I can't speak for the Maserati dealer reputations or facilities. I've never set foot in one.

10. Erik Latranyi

Remember that those Fiat "boutiques" were purchased for $1 million each on the promise that a full lineup of Fiat/Alfa vehicles would soon follow.

Instead, it was a very slow trickle of slow-selling Fiat 500 variants and no Alfas until just this month ago (4C excluded). Those Fiat dealerships survived on selling used vehicles and many have closed. Many of those that are open have unhappy owners.

It will be interesting to see the dealer margins on Giulias as well.

Now, some here claimed the Alfa Giulia US delay was to prepare the dealers. We know it was due to certification problems instead, but, there is NO EXCUSE if the dealer's are not ready and not providing the most amazing customer service in the industry.

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Can You post the link to certification problems of Alfa Romeo Giulia? (I am curious :) )

T_690 likes this.
  12. Erik Latranyi

Mike V reported this in the "Will Giulia Make it in 2016" thread.

13. Mike V.

Yet, just like your anedoctal evidence, I know owners that will completely disagree with you. There are many 2011-2013 Fiat 500s that have been good, reliable cars.

This is why I say you can't simply throw a blanked on it and claim that they are all bad.

Mike

djsamuel and Morty like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I never said they were all bad. But they were obviously below average.
    I've had a lot of trouble free Chrysler and Dodge cars, but I'm not going to deny they have quality issues.
    I've yet to see any studies that showed the early Fiats in the USA with anything but dismal quality ratings.

15. Mike V.

"Obviously below average" is your opinion.

Again we can go back to the quality ratings and see that a lot of the complaints were based on the stereo/cellphone system and we all know the studies are weighed more towards people who are unhappy than happy.

We can agree to disagree, but your statement is more opinion than fact and you are throwing a blanket over all "early" 500's... I can't believe we are now segregating by year just to try to prove a point. Do we go to build date next? :)

Mike

16. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Guest

FCA has to execute on quality, getting additional models in production,and Cultural markets (NY,LA,D.C.).
    Someone needs to tell you about that not even the majority Fiat U.S. Dealers are selling Alfa at all, and "Nearly from scratch" .

Much of the Luxury Customers will just be introduced to Alfa Brand for the first ever time in their lives.Far from "establish" while Maserati Dealers should already know how to provide an Luxury experience.
    This is not taking an Built-up 900+ Dealer Network, and attempting to "rebirth" .

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

JD Powers 2016 Vehicle Dependability Ratings shows results by category. Fiat's worst performance was "Body and Interior" not "Features and Accessories".
    Fiat never performed well in any US survey I'm aware of during its first years here.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Right now about 1/2 the Alfa Romeo dealers are paired with Fiat and half with Maserati in the US.

19. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The market's overall perception of FIAT or Alfa Romeo is not made of one indiviviual's experience any more than of one survey result. Instead, market perception is the cumulative effect customers have, over many units sold over many years, as well as their exposure to not just one, but the cumulative effect of all of them, in addition to print, tv and online reviews, and interpersonal experience.

Firstly, this is why past deeds matter. Even if you are 35 years old today and can't remember what FIAT or Alfa did 20 years ago chances are your dad does, your boss does, your neighbor does or, worse, your wife's older brother does. And word of mouth --both, positive and negative-- is among the top three most influential sources of information when buying an automobile.

Secondly, it doesn't matter if FIAT --we still have to wait on Alfa-- got 100 fewer pp100 in the latest JD Power quality study if it was dead last, or 2nd from the bottom in the prior five years. No one is going to rush into a FIAT dealership because of one number. At best, they will wait and see if FIAT keeps that trend for a few years before feeling convinced.

Thirdly, consumer will not remember exactly what they read on each magazine article, but they will, subconsciously, "categorize" brands and models into various buckets, and any brand or model that fails to impress them will get thrown into the "other" category. Four out of five reviews I read on FIATs have been lukewarm at best. And I don't ever recall a FIAT winning any comparo, getting endorsed by anyone or making the cover of anything. So most consumers likely have FIAT categorized as "other" in their heads. That's a tough place from which to build a franchise.

Fortunately, Alfa has been getting positive initial reviews, and it's even made the cover of a few magazines. That's a promising start. We will have to see how it fares when it starts getting pitched against established competitors; hopefully it will score some wins to help consumers categorize Alfa Romeo into the "winner" bucket.

Then will come the quality studies: consumer will want to see Alfa land, consistently, above industry average at the very least.

Finally, Alfa needs to generate sufficient positive word of mouth momentum to overcome any remaining negative impressions still dormant out there. Unfortunately, focusing on the styling and performance while ignoring its past quality sins won't be enough. Through the use of creative marketing, Alfa will want to communicate how much better than ever its vehicles now are. It may want to brag about state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, or about Italy's long-standing tradition making precision instruments and machinery, or emphasize the incredible attention to detail that goes into making a Giulia or a Stelvio. Because it will need to give all the ammunition it can to those 35-40 year olds considering Alfa to shut up dad, their friends, or their envious brother in law whenever they quip "Alfas are crap." And it better keep this up for 5-10 years to overcome long-rooted beliefs, and help buyers coming to market in future, not just in first six months.

#539 aldo90731, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    AlfaCuda, wtxiceman and Alexbucks like this.
  20. Mike V.

Yet the Fiat 500 received a best in class award from JD Powers APPEAL award in 2015 and JD Powers best in segment dependability award in 2016.

It's all relative right?

Mike

aldo90731, Devildodge and Morty like this.