AF: Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo/Super Bowl ads

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by humdrum, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Lol.... Ditto.

I will say, that the 730 in my 13' leaves a little to be desired. There is no quick way to access contacts besides VC which sucks at recognizing any command, besides dial and the #. Pairing with the phone while simple and consistent, it does not display the artist, song, genre, etc of the song being played. However, my 14' Sorento does all of these flawless, and even reads out my text messages... Hoping that my 20' SRT Durango has Android Auto, as I fell in love with it when I rented a vehicle on vacation.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

It does. It was confirmed having Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. RedRiderBob posted a video that had that confirmation from the Chicago Autoshow.

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  3. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I still use my phone to navigate for some reason. Haven't really tried to figure out the built in navigation.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  4. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I've been told your American navigation is not as good as ours in Canada. Ours is a Garmin, not sure if it's the same down South. Mine works marvelously, minus having to pay for updates.

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

We have garmin too, at least the dart is. most people don't like it because you have to pay for updates while your phone is always updated

npaladin2000 likes this.
  6. aldo90731

I want a GPS on my Jeeps because many times there's no cell reception where I'm going.

7. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Offline map mobile apps such as Navmii are very good also. They use the GPS receiver in your phone so you do not need data or a cell signal. I use them quite often.

somber likes this.
  8. dakota21

Supporter

That's a good point. Why would you pay for a nav update for your car when one for your phone is free? I'd like to see the records for car nav update sales.

9. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

This hits the nail on the head (IMO). For example, a guy I work with had a Honda Accord with about 200,000 miles. The first transmission went bad at 90,000 miles, the second at 200,000. He was going to have a third one installed but decided to get a new Accord. When I asked him why, he said because it is a very dependable car. When I mentioned the transmission issues, he said that just happens and the dealer gave him a break on the cost of the first replacement. When my daughter's Accord started having transmission problems at around 90,000 I searched the Internet and found MANY posts regarding Honda transmission failures, yet very few negative. The people who own these cars are so convined they are reliable, even hard experience won't sway many from their opinions.

Now this guy at work will say my PT Cruiser is junk, even though it has 373,000 miles, had the first transmission last 292,000 miles and didn't require an engine rebuild until 345,000 miles. Why? It's an American car. All perception, and perception is critical.

AlfaCuda, tlc, Bajanbuoy and 4 others like this.
  10. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

To me, Alfa Romeo has always had a certain mystique to their name. My age has something to do with it (57) as I remember the Alfa Romeo slot cars I raced, and watching the racing movies like Grand Prix and seeing the Alfas in various scenes. Even my daughter and son in law, around 30, raised their eyebrows when they saw the Alfa Romeo commercials during the super bowl; not because they thought Alfas were junk, but because they'd heard of Alfa Romeo and were interested in seeing what they were like. Much different than the Fiat reputation which produced "Fix It Again Tony". EVERYBODY remembers that as well as "Found On Road Dead" from the same era.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Perception is critical indeed, and that's why the time to turn around a quality image takes so long. You've got to delivery a quality product a long time before the reputation changes.

12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Yeah but no one listens to us! ;)

13. aldo90731

Yup. When Chrysler minivan transmissions were failing, so were Honda Odyssey transmissions. But you rarely heard of Honda transmission issues. Why? Because Honda took care of their customers one way or another, while Chrysler argued with theirs.

Bajanbuoy, djsamuel, somber and 2 others like this.
  14. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

....and if unhappy Alfa dealers argue with customers, regardless the excellent performance and styling of the vehicles, the brand is DOOMED.

Bajanbuoy, GasAxe, somber and 2 others like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Or if FCA can't supply those dealers with parts for those Alfas in a timely manor, Alfa is doomed (says the person waiting 11 weeks for a part for my 2017 Durango).

wtxiceman, jerseyjoe, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Neighbor down the street had a 2000 Honda minivan. The first time the transmission failed, yes, Honda took care of it. When it failed the 2nd time at only 90,000 miles, they wanted $5,000 to replace it. He stopped being pro-Honda. The next vehicle they bought was a VW Beetle. Meanwhile the 41TE in my 2000 T&C Ltd was running just fine with 161K miles when I traded it in.

aldo90731 and djsamuel like this.
  17. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Quiet Grandpa... lol... It seems as if every generation thinks we've "seen it all".

It must be frustrating seeing the same mistakes from the 20's being made again, and again... lol.... Just kidding

Seriously tho, even at 40 (about to be 41), I've seen my dear-old Chrsyler have several near-death experiences. It's always heart-wrenching.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  18. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I would be out there pulling the part off on in the lot.

19. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

While generally this statement is true, it's more complicated than that, the greater the (N) number of the group that you are sampling, the closer your sample represents the general population in a normal distribution curve. But, let's say you are surveying a group of auto buyers, who are geographically unique and have higher living standards and education and conceptions of luxury may distort the conclusions that you may draw. Or, the group that you draw upon, ends up being disproportionatly performance oriented (by the luck of the draw), their standard may be different than the general population and may end up skewing your results.

It depends how carefully you craft your questionnaire and define you target population. That's why I don't really trust surveys that aren't carefully spelled out in their goals and methodology. I just don't.

So, if you are telling me to believe these surveys, you will have to show me how you have defined your variables and controlled them. How you have defined your target group and isolated for error. Just for starters.

#579 humdrum, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Prabhjot likes this.
  20. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

That's what I would think. A friend of mine has a 2016 F150. The alternator failed. He was driving a loaner Focus for over a month, although the dealer said it would take up to 3 months. The dealer said there were none in the stock system and they would not take one off of a vehicle on the lot. He was not happy.