AF: Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by NWbyNW, Sep 21, 2020.

1. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Alfa Romeo's sports and passenger cars are going to fade away if Automotive New's 'brand new' info is correct. The Giulia is on limited time and all future sports cars are not happening. Think of all the money FCA wasted on Alfa just to now forget about it and let it linger... like Chrysler and Dodge. Really this is nothing new as other outlets have been reporting similar stories, but this just adds to that list.

Automotive News Article
    Autoweek Article
    The Detroit Bureau Article

The Italian press also reports the future looks pretty bleak for the Italian company, as Alfa Romeo continues to struggle with sales as a whole. Right now, many models aren’t expected to get a successor, with the brand focusing instead on the production version of the Tonale SUV.

In Europe, the old Giulietta is ending production as well.

2. Chebby7

Chebby7 Active Member

Sounds rough

3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Alfa Romeo line up could consist of up to 6 models with 4 of them Giorgio based and none of them with 2 or 3 doors.

Sedans will live in some form including Giulia.

I can not comment on AN article because it's for subscribers only.

serpens likes this.
  4. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

The articles you site really don't say anything new. Although the Automotive News article is dated September 20, it references a call Mike Manley held with investors back in November 2019.

As for the Autoweek and Detroit Bureau articles, they are dated Nov. 11, 2019 and Feb. 13, 2020 respectively. Given that this company appears to change directions more often than Italy changes Prime Ministers, Isn't it possible that this information may no longer be 100% correct, and has had a tweak or two...(or more)...since then?

I only have one other thing to say right this minute:

CARLOS!!!.....HURRY!!!

#4 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Tony K and pumadog like this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Giulietta ended production a long time ago - I’m pretty sure it was 2019 - and cars on sale now are from a stockpile. This sounds like outdated news.

Tonale is moving to production. Two Alfa models were shifted to Maserati (the car that was revealed as Alfa 6C became Maserati MC20 most likely for pricing reasons, and it seems that the Stelvio LWB is not going ahead, to not overlap with Grecale), but the latest information is that the remainder of Alfa’s model plan will proceed. That’s three CUVs (the C-segment Tonale, a new B, and a new E CUV cousin of the Giorgio Grand Cherokee) and a 4-door coupé larger than Giulia.

So, yes, Alfa will “concentrate on CUVs” (4 CUVs, 2 sedans), but have you seen the sales figures for other premium brands? Why would they not?

tlc, T_690, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  6. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

Are you sure? As far as reports from the plant go, it hasn't ended yet. I read in a German forum that you can order a new (individual?) Giulietta until end of September.

As for the articles: Nobody knows until the Stellantis product plan is public next year.

jorisr likes this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

@pumadog fair enough. Either way, the end of production for Giulietta is not some new development in the way this article implies - it has been planned for a long time, with Tonale taking over the role of smallest Alfa. Tonale starts series production within the next 12 months.

Some parts of the product plan are already in train: there is some confusion over what platform the Alfa B-UV will use, but very little over whether it is going ahead or not. Everything is in place for the larger Alfa SUV, as it will be a (slightly smaller) twin to the next generation Levante, sharing an architecture with WL Grand Cherokee. Of course, that could be cancelled at the last minute, but I think the margins BMW makes on its X5 would be too tempting for Alfa to leave unchallenged (the low overall sales numbers hide the fact that Giulia and Stelvio have done well in converting BMW’s more lucrative customers)

HotCarNut, pumadog, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

One thing is clear. Alfa is going to end up where Dodge and especially Chrysler is now. Moved on to something else. They seem to think Maserati is where the cash needs to go now. I agree, Carlos please hurry.

page2171 and Chrysler UK like this.
  9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Giulietta was in production already in production first months of 2020, the production line had to be dismantled by march-april 2020, but it was delayed because Covid-19.
    From what I read some time ago it was not sure if last lot of cars (orders and last stock) was produced or not before the lockdown.
    It was the MiTo production that was stopped first.
    Maserati MC20 is produced in the refreshed plant of Modena where was also produced the Alfa Romeo 4C.

HotCarNut, pumadog, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  10. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Yeah, it's not like Giulia's basic structure is going to need a major (or even minor) update in the next few years. They can refine Giulia and have a car in its final years that not only outperforms an M3/4, but also is more reliable, stick in in naysayers' faces, and laugh all the way to the bank, per unit. They CAN. That's an IF, and historically a BIG one...but it's totally within their capability. Despite all the early problems, the signs based on the latest versions are positive. We've even seen faint praise in the automotive press.

pumadog likes this.
  11. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Giulia Q is already less maintenance-hungry than the M-cars (for high-performance cars like this, maintenance is reliability). Also, the lower-tier Giulias are as, or more, reliable than their BMW equivalents.

Press reviews have generally praised the Alfas but questioned the long term reliability. When it was all-new, that was fair comment, but Giulia is over four years on the market now, and sooner or later, opinion has to catch up with facts.

tlc, pumadog, jorisr and 2 others like this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

AFAIK plans for Alfa Romeo cars for new models are the same as in the late 2017 which BTW differs from what they've presented as a plan in June 2018 plan. I'm excluding sports cars and Coupés. Absent from 2018 plan were B-SUV and E-segment 5 door fastback.

Now in 2020 we have C-SUV (Tonalé) and yet unnamed B-SUV in official plans.

What still is not official are E-segment SUV which originally was planned in parallel to a Grand Cherokee WL and sedan-Coupé i.e. 4/5 door fastback. They are waiting for Carlos Tavares to give them green light.

I wouldn't be surprise if fastback is a long wheelbase Giulia with higher price tag and more options than Giulia. Car which will sort of replace E-segment sedan in the line-up but at lower costs and also lower costs of industrialisation because such car can be built alongside Giulia, Stelvio and Grecale.

For now Tonalé is the most important car. It's going after very hot segment at the European market. From what I've gathered it could have some all new powertrain options.
    FCA should launch GSE 1.5l MHEV engine which will be mated to a Magna/Getrag 7 speed hybrid DCT. This is nothing like a MHEV on RWD based FCA cars. It can go on electric only from a standstill to 30 or even 50 km/h.
    Also ZF 9HP should be absent. Something new will replace it. Who knows if it will be ready in time for Tonalé's launch.
    For a long time I described ZF 9HP as a bottleneck for FWD based FCA cars both in terms of performance and fuel economy.

tlc, pumadog, patfromigh and 2 others like this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Giulia and Stelvio will receive major refresh (FCA calls it MCA) in 12 to 15 months. New and bigger infotainment, new fully digital instrument cluster, more and more modern ADAS... So MY2020 was just a minor refresh. Ah, we can expect some powertrain improvements for MCA. Switch from Giorgio to what some are calling Giorgio Global is included.

Tony K, jorisr and KrisW like this.
  14. M.O.D.

M.O.D. Well-Known Member

In summary:

1. Make a 5 year plan to make AR the next BMW
    2. Launch the first 2 vehicles in the plan
    3. Cancel variants of said vehicles because entry level versions make too little money and upper scale variants are too expensive
    4. Scale down the plan 'cause you see that AR is not making BMW volumes
    5. Scale it down further because the problem is surely with the brand, not the products
    6. Realise volumes are abysmal
    7. return to point 1

This plan worked wonders for Lancia, it's giving pretty good results for Dodge and Chrysler (and Fiat), I am sure AR can thrive with it.

sad

15. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The GIulia is the only Car they need to have, Other models can be Crossovers. seriously what other Sedans do Alfa Romeo need?. we already seen this coming as the Giulietta Replacement (Tonale) is a Crossover. This does not mean the Giulia is in trouble.

16. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

@M.O.D. I like that sarcasm! So true. :D

Where does that big sedan-coupé suddenly come from? Anything more than wishful thing?
    The car that'd be a no-brainer for me is a Giulietta successor. C hatchbacks are still one of Europe's biggest segments and not going away. Alfas biggest seller. Could easily share architecture with Tonale or forthcoming VMP.

jimboy likes this.
  17. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

I know I said Chrysler should be BEV only, but I truly feel those vehicles would sell better if the infotainment cluster and bumpers were differentiated between the Alfa and Chrysler versions.

GM does it with different bumpers/interiors across Chevy/GMC/Cadillac - why can’t FCA?

And this isn’t badge engineering of the 90s/00s, these are completely different customer facing parts that actually look different.

Tony K likes this.
  18. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

I'm not happy to hear any of this, since it sounds like they wasted money on a brand that never stood a chance as many said. The brands that could have been making money barely got anything except refreshes and or one new product. With the merger, I see the Grigiro platform being quickly shifted to Jeep, Dodge, and possibly Chrysler, so that they recoup their losses on the development.

Donte Lindsey and Adventurer55 like this.
  19. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I wonder if sedans will make a come back one day. One wouldn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Especially brands like Alfa were IMHO resurrected based on their history of sport coupes and sedans. While this is somewhat true for BMW for example, too, they have had the X5 since 1999. Same goes for MB. So there is now over 20 years of history, something Alfa is missing. Alfa connecting with your heart and emotions based on its history made sense in my opinion. I guess it will be FCA's equivalent to Audi but one wonders how many more SUVs the world needs...

HotCarNut, Morty and Tony K like this.
  20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I prefer calling it EMP2 v4 because that's what it is and they called it that way before it became official. I presume that the 308 III will be on EMP2 v3. For example current 3008 is on EMP2 v2.

Currently there is no plan for hatchbacks or sedans on EMP2 v4.

Maybe from the people "inside". This is not something new. Maybe it's just a D segment.