AF: Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers... | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by NWbyNW, Sep 21, 2020.

1. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Because now GM has the problem of the new Cadillac XT6 having less perceived value than the Hyundai/Kia 3-row SUVs. We know what the result of GM's ill fated brand management philosophy is.

I live a part of town with a lot of senior housing. It amazes me how many older vehicles I see still on the road. The older sedans were the real deal. I'm talking about vehicles from the 1990s to early 2,000s. Such sedans had good ingress/egress, large trunks and were mostly square. I don't expect an Alfa Romeo sedan have that any more, but the brand use to offer such sedans.

CherokeeVision likes this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It's been stated before that Giorgio isn't able to handle a V8. Is this still true with this so called Giorgio global? If so, would this platform fit at Brampton?

3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Relevant Hoovies Garage

View: https://youtu.be/iCEEBxDaC9I

This guy has historically made the case for land yachts for a while.

4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Well that's a lie it could handle at a minimum the 392, hellcat who knows but none of us our engineers here for fca

Tony K likes this.
  5. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

No one is cross shopping an XT6 and a Kia. No one. It makes for good Internet forum banter though.

jimboy and Tony K like this.
  6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about power or torque. It has been stated in prior discussions that this platform in Giulia form is not able to be fitted with a V8. Did this change with the so called global version? And again, is it able to fit inside Brampton with line they have now? Or would a complete redo of that plant be needed?

7. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

And that's the end of Alfa as we know it. Just another truck.

jimboy likes this.
  8. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Actually, people are crosshopping the XT6 and top trim Telluride and Palisade, although not in any huge numbers. I just saw data on that last week. They've managed to garner interest from luxury buyers at what I would consider to be a decent clip surprisingly.

If you want to go to the purely anecdotal route, you can just search "Telluride" on BMW, Audi, and Lexus forums. Plenty of people discussing it.

9. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

What do you propose to differentiate on then for Alfa and Chrysler for an E segment vehicle?

10. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I would dial out any sportiness in the Chrysler version and keep the focus on economy, durability, and practicality (see: Toyota). Leave the dramatic styling, emotion and fun for the enthusiasts that gravitate towards Alfa Romeo. I would expect the Alfa to come with a price premium and its own switchgear.

11. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

People want a luxurious Chrysler branded E segment SUV that feels z and looks premium. It doesnt need Jeep Off road tech. Give it a Nice AWD and all of the features of Pacifica and more. It’s not rocket science.

12. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

No use tossing good money after bad, if their 3 series competitor doesn't sell, a 5 series competitor really won't sell. I've said it before, they should let what they have runs its course and pair the brand up with Ferrari and sell it from those stores, then just build high dollar, low volume sports and super cars. Same as Ferrari at a lower price point.

HoboChangba likes this.
  13. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

What if they gave Chrysler and Jeep the Tornado?

Chrysler UK and Donte Lindsey like this.
  14. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

If Alfa is to offer itself as a premium, sporty(ing) Brand, then it needs a convertible. They have a connection with Mazda already via the 124, re-work it into an entry level Alfa roadster. You want to sell Alfa in the North American market, start out with something affordable AND romantic. (see "The Graduate") This is how N/A remembers Alfa, that is the last car sold here, so bring it back, just like they originally planned to do, before Fiat got it.
    Then let them 'graduate' to the pricier models. Bmw still offers entry level vehicles as do Audi and Mercedes, pick your poison. It's known as a halo vehicle, and if you only make 1 Euro off each one you sell, it's still an incredibly worthwhile investment. This is just basic marketing and I cannot understand who, or what, is driving the decision making process at this company? Once again they are going to throw out billions of dollars of investment capital because they can't figure out what to do with the product they currently have. It's simply incomprehensible to me.
    Sadly, I question whether or not Stellantis can save any of our beloved brands in some kind of recognizable form.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  15. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

SM stated that Alfa Romeo's has to be Pure, a Japanese built AR Roadster is a insult to the brand. they could always use the new Gran Turismo as a new Roadster, but only when that version of Giorgio is ready for other Variants. Yes the Germans offer entry level models, but the Z4 and SLK are still expensive. Z4 starts at the price of a well equipped Giulia. ($49,700).

Tony K, tlc and T_690 like this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

To use a football analogy, this might be something of a 'Hail Mary Pass'...but...

Can Giorgio be fitted with the Pentastar? If so...then my next question would be: How much room is left in the Pentastar's block to bore out the engine to a somewhat larger displacement?

It's a bit out of left field, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

17. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

any talk of Pentastar is irrelevant now that its almost on its way out. T4, Hybrids and/or I6 will later take its place.

Chrysler UK and Tony K like this.
  18. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

There are pictures or illustrations of Inline 4 and V6 90° inside of Alfa's engine bay. I would say that GME T6 will fit it.

Actually a lot of bigger engines will fit in but the question is will they compromise center of gravity. From what I've heard even on Maserati LX fork center of gravity with Ferrari TT V8 is not ideal.

19. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Pentastar is already big bore engine with relatively short stroke. Actually its stroke is short for displacement.

20. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

All of these requirements about “national purity” seem anachronistic in a corporation that is itself a hodgepodge of leftover automakers, and now makes two-thirds of its profits selling Jeeps and Rams. If Jeeps can be made in China, Brazil, Italy and Mexico, so can Alfa Romeos.

We will see if Tavares gives two hoots about Alfa Romeo’s Italian purity.