AF: Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers... | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfa Romeo To Shrink, Focus On Crossovers...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by NWbyNW, Sep 21, 2020.

1. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The Appeal of Jeep is vastly different than a Italian Brand, do you really want Gucci products made/assembled in China or Mexico?

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Germans seem to be okay with the US making BMWs and Mercedes.

3. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

If Alfa Romeo had a standalone plant somewhere in the U.S. I think that would be fine. If it was put into an existing FCA plant I think then you would have a perception issue.

KrisW likes this.
  4. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Indeed. And they are exporting US vehicles back to Europe and other parts of the world!

I remember when skeptics doubted Toyota and Honda could build automobiles in North America to exacting Japanese standards of meticulous attention to detail. Not only they were proven wrong, today no one really cares anymore. Acura now builds in N.A. most of the vehicles it sells, and Honda recently opened in Mexico a HR-V plant for export.

If Alfa Romeo does its homework in the design, engineering, manufacturing, as well as in the branding, marketing and retailing areas, no one will care where they are made.

It’s not like people who want reliability will suddenly start lining up to buy Alfa Romeos LOL!

5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

So true. Alfa-Romeo reliability IS sort of an oxymoron...isn't it?

Sort of like government efficiency, or military intellegence.:p:D

6. aldo90731

...or corporate responsibility...

7. Adventurer55

Tavares and his new board will have some decisions coming up. Redundant plants. This may not affect NA as much because their plants are better in their utilization percentage. They could be even better if they weren't starved for new product. You gotta figure at some point realignments will occur. Right or wrong I feel that's why Sergio dumped so much money into the upgrading of Italian plants, hoping they would survive a needed merger.

8. 77 Monaco Brougham

+ 1

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Just more shuffling of the deck chairs as the industry slowly sinks below the seas of change. I’m biting my tongue right now, but it’s gotta be said—GMs wholesale move to BEVs is looking better and better right now.

10. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Very true but I see this as a good thing for a brand like Dodge. These electric cars are extremely quick and that goes hand in hand with muscle cars (with the right marketing). It does not bode well for a bland brands like the French ones coming to the table, why would anyone buy a fully electric Citroen? Bland brands like that (IMO) will be flushed down the toilet within 15-20 years and replaced by modern start ups.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Who says that cannot be fitted a V8? It depends on the dimensions of the V8.
    The V6 in the Giulia is a 90° V engine and has also the turbochargers on the sides.
    Also all the engine is in the back of the steering system.

T_690 likes this.
  12. Adventurer55

I'm only commenting on what's been posted on here from the past, by past so called insiders. I've often wondered the same thing, if a 90 degree V6 will fit, why not a V8. When I brought this very fact up, I was told it wasn't designed for one, so it can't be used. This, as I recall came from the same person that also said a V6 diesel wouldn't fit in a Wrangler, and I was totally wrong when I mentioned that FCA was going to do a bof Wagoneer. Yet here we are.

13. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Because maybe a Citroen BEV is a superior product to the one from a "start up". While I'm not a fan of the styling, PSA group has put together an interesting lineup.

Not from where I sit. GM has dropped all their hybrids, terminated many of their own engineers working with electrification and now uses much technology from outside vendors. Right now I can by a Bolt. That's it. I can walk into a Toyota, Ford or Kia dealer and by a hybrid or a PHEV. Ford is taking orders for the BEV MockE, while Hyundai and Kia also offer BEV models.

There is a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV available right now and it is at least a generation ahead of GM's failed front drive PHEVs. This isn't including the Volt or the Malibu Hybrid which shared Volt technology. If you buy a new Chevy, enjoy your 1.5 liter/CVT drivetrain until the battery electrics arrive.

14. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

I see EV's being whittled down to very few suppliers for batteries, motors and tech. From there all that will matter is the design and Dodge (and Plymouth) have a rich history to reach back to even if everything but the body comes from suppliers. Further checking the crystal ball I see the body being completely removable from the slide-able wheelbase skateboard chassis. You can have a 69 charger for the summer and a grand wagoneer for the winter, and about 1500-2000hp with a motor on each wheel.

The thing that scares me is the planned obsolescence since there are so fewer moving parts, they will literally have to design them to fail so you have to buy a new one. BMW and Mercedes especially, but GM will be right there too.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

The only thing missing is the band playing "Nearer My God To Thee" as the S.S Combustion slowly sinks into niche status:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBox5HLLyy0

#55 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Chrysler UK, gforce2002 and Tony K like this.
  16. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Perhaps "internal combustion automobile" is double speak for personal transportation. I see a dystopian future future of subscription service pod cars. Private motorcars will be very limited. Actually this post should go into another thread.

To bring this back on topic I would like to point out Alfa-Romeo is coming out with a C-segment crossover with a version of the 4Xe system used in the small Jeeps. In light of the bland mush GM is serving while we wait for them to go all electric, I'm sure the AR product will be delightful.

17. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Don't know if you have a wife or girlfriend but my wife AND a ton of her friends have been buying Gucci/Prada/LV, etc FROM CHINA DIRECTLY for years now. I'm no expert nor are they but they seem to have it all figured out cloning wise. Ethically, well lets just leave that topic alone.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  18. aldo90731

Making products overseas and brand piracy are two different things.

Jeeps are the ones being copied in China. FCA’s insistence that Alfa Romeo’s manufacturing remains in Italy is not about fighting piracy; it is merely to coddle an otherwise fragile brand.

19. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Hmh. I'm unaware of Audi producing their core sedans like A6, A7 and A8 anywhere outside of ancestral home of NSU which is Neckarsaulm.

Audi A6 L is exception but it's a China special model with long wheelbase and only with 2.0 engines. They are making it there because of hefty 25% tariff.

Same with Ingolstadt which is ancestral home of Auto Union but also home of Audi. A3, A4 and A5 are being made there.

Most of Audis made outside of Germany are made for a single reason, tariff. They make no Audis in US and only Q5 in Mexico. Mexico is due to tariff important export hub for US, EU and Mercosur.

BASONE88, Tony K and KrisW like this.
  20. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

"Import brand". The clue is in the name.

T_690 likes this.