Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All FCA US Brands Improve in Initial Quality

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by manoli, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Call Chrysler first. If that doesn't work, write to them.

Auburn Hills did nothing. You didn't give them the chance.

danbek likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Ugh. What you describe reminds me of my mom's epic battles with Ford and the dealer on our collection of misfit toys in the 1980's and early 90's. She was persistent and it paid off though. It's a shame it has to come to that though....

It turned us off to Ford completely after that. Saturn treated us much better. Jeep...well...not so much, but better than Ford (hard not to). I didn't take a chance on Ford for 20 or so years until I bought my Mustang. Treating your customers like garbage tends to do that....ya hear me FCA??

3. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

40,000km, so less than 25,000 miles. It just squeaked in under the 24mths/40k km wear warranty or whatever you want to call it. (Same warranty that Dodge replaced my clutch under at 9,000km)

And it was all 4 rotors that were warped, not just the front ones. And not minor warping either. It was scary when you tried to stop from highway speeds. The back ones were even worse than the front ones...

The replacement rotors lasted for 55,000kms which I guess is better, as we just had them changed, as they were starting to become warped.

Nice!

Maybe I should call Chrysler USA next time.

This is the first vehicle we've had in quite some time with warped rotors. I don't remember any of our previous 7 minivans having such short brake life, nor any of our other FCA vehicles. Same conditions, same drivers too.

somber likes this.
  4. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Not true actually.

Wear items (wipers, light bulbs, brakes, clutches, etc) are covered for a short period of time. I think it's 2 years max though.

5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Covered for manufacturer's defect, though, not wear. At 40k it's hard to argue it's not wear.

6. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Your warped rotor condition most likely could have been corrected by you as typically its from deposits of the pad material on the rotor and not that the rotor has in fact "warped".
    1. Wheels must be torqued to proper specs, not put on with impact guns at who knows what TQ.
    2. Pads and rotors have to be properly bedded and the right pad used for your driving.
    I've found #1 to be the best preventative practice to the warped rotor feel.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths (at http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths )

ScramFan likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Write to Chrysler now. Send copies of the bills. They may help out. I've seen it happen.

UN4GTBL, danbek and dmcdonald like this.
  8. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Other words they are misrepresenting their quality and warranty claims numbers.

UN4GTBL, JavelinAMX and aldo90731 like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

That's an assumption. Also I notice he didn't say the timeframe. It's assumed to be since the takeover. Could be since 2013. I think I would agree that quality's improved since 2013.

10. chrisg05

chrisg05 Well-Known Member

The service departments when preforming warentee claims are under the mercy of FCA to get paid. In order to understand why the service departments have gotten worse is to understand how they make their money. The mechanics usually get flat rate per job. More jobs equates to more money in the mechanics pocket. For example a brake job involves cleaning hub surface, regreasing the slide pins, checking the calipers for wear, resurface the rotors and so on. This takes time. Most if not all the time, the mechanic cuts corners and just slaps on a new rotor and a new set of pads. Puts it all together, pumps them up and moves on to the next job

Oil changes are the same wAy...a flat rate per change. This happens in all dealers.

It's all about customer service. You give good service at a good rate with a low percentage of repeat jobs you will get repeat customers

11. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

While I feel for you and your issue, I just don't understand the situation. It is not up to the dealer to honor or not honor warranty work and why have you not gone up the chain?

12. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

12 months/12,000 miles is typical on wear items generally

13. Bigun426

Level 2 Supporter

14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It will take a cultural revolution to get the executives at FCA to change their mindset and take quality seriously.

I'll believe it when I see it.

#194 aldo90731, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    UN4GTBL, iNeon, GasAxe and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

If they fill out the forms properly they usually get paid. However would you rather be paid $40/hour or $130/hour?

Medicare or cash?

UN4GTBL and wtxiceman like this.
  16. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Is that really the most common method of employing service mechanics?

In Europe, normal practice is to have a staff of mechanics on salary at the dealership; they earn a fixed wage per week - some weeks are slow, some are busy, but the pay's the same. At very busy periods, additional staff can be hired in, but it's usually on an hourly rate basis, not "per job". All work is billed to the customer as parts plus x hours of labour (an hour costs anywhere from around $30 to about $100, excluding sales taxes, depending on what you drive, and where you live; of course, the mechanic gets nothing like that as salary). Warranty work is costed the same way, but customers don't get the bill, and the dealership doesn't get as good a labor rate.

17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

What I've heard from a few mechanics is when they worked at a dealer, the standard pay is a low salary then you can earn "bonus" money for specialized "per job" work you are trained for. The general consensus was even with the bonus money, you aren't recouping the costs for your tools easily and the time allotted to do the work keeps getting cut so you end up working for free a lot of the time.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

To elaborate further there is book that specifies the amount of labor hours a specific task (job) should take to complete. If that task is specified at 1 hour and the mechanic does it in less time, in theory he can make additional money the more "jobs" he can complete. Regardless of how long it takes the mechanic the customer is billed the labor hours specified in the book plus parts and shop supplies. In addition most dealers charge about an hours labor (about $100) for diagnostics. In some cases the dealer will waive the diagnostic fee if they do the work. In general the shop labor rate locally varies from $85/hr to $110/hr. Independent shops usually have a lower shop rate than the dealers, but not always.

19. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

So the warranty mechanic is incentivised to spend as little time on the vehicle as possible. ouch.

chrisg05 and Prabhjot like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Not just the warranty mechanic. Any repair.

UN4GTBL likes this.