Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All FCA US Brands Improve in Initial Quality

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by manoli, Jun 21, 2017.

1. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

And not just FCA...

UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  2. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Actually, I don't believe the "bonus money" system is in place in my area. Mechanics at the the dealerships are paid a straight per hour salary. I'm not sure the rate the dealerships are reimbursed for their warranty work but I haven't heard any horror stories about getting warranty work completed.

3. chrisg05

chrisg05 Well-Known Member

Understood and I don't blame them. To the customer it just sucks

The problem here is like others have said, there is a book that shows how much time it should take per job and how much labor can be charged. An independent shop the labor charges go to the mechanics. At chain stores they are paid a flat for certain jobs. Dealerships are the same way. The more jobs you do, the more you get paid.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

I think some of it may have been pad transfer, as re-bedding the brakes would help a little bit whenever I did it, but it was no more than 25% of the problem. But don't forget that there were so many other owners that had the same issue, that Chrysler not only put out a program to assist, and then for 2013 they gave the vans a better brake system, so I'm still going with the fact that the brakes were undersized for the vehicle.

I won't write off the dealer using impact guns as a source of the problem either though.

But like I said, it has only been an issue on this vehicle for us. Our other vehicles have gotten better brake life.

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt. Have nothing to lose, that's for sure.

Chase300 likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I do blame them. If they were just repair shops, maybe not, but they sell cars, too, and breaking even on some warranty work is just the cost of doing business.

aldo90731 and KrisW like this.
  6. chrisg05

chrisg05 Well-Known Member

understood. The problem is if they continue to break even on warrentee jobs then there is no point in staying in business. A dealership quite often makes very little money on sales. Used car sales is a bigger profit margin but new car sales is a trick even for the popular brands. So they make money on you going back for service.

Now for someone like myself who does alot of their own work, the dealership is only used for this type of work or services while in the first 36k. After that I do most of my own maintenance and work.

Dont get me wrong, I think denial of legit warrentee work is a disgusting practice, but unfortunately this is what FCA is choosing to do which gives a lousy perception on the brand as a whole

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

As automotive complexity increases and environmental regulations spread, the number of people who do their own maintenance is bound to shrink.

The dealer has an opportunity to establish a long-term relationship with its customers through the initial vehicle sale, through the parts & accessories counter, and through warranty and service work.

Savvy dealers see the value of each customer through multiple interactions. But the average dealer tends, for purely internal purposes, to have all of those three areas run separately, failing to see each interaction with the customer as an opportunity to establish a relationship and add value.

As long as dealers continue to view a customer as a transaction, instead of a series of interactions that create opportunity to establish a relationship, they will keep doing stupid things like denying legitimate warranty claims and mistreating customers.

#207 aldo90731, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017