AF: All new electric Fiat 500 | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All new electric Fiat 500

Discussion in 'Alfa and Maserati' started by T_690, Mar 2, 2020.

1. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Perfectly true. And it’s not just Americans. There used to be a craze amongst the higher-income teenagers here for Abercrombie and Fitch and Hollister branded clothing. Hardly out of the ordinary, you’d think, but this was at a time when neither of those brands were sold in Europe. (“Oh this? I got it in New York”). It was good business for Woodbury Commons while it lasted, but then both brands opened retail stores in Dublin and suddenly nobody was that interested anymore.

2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There are rumors that soon will be presented a new version of the Fiat 500 electric, the Trepiuno with an additional door on the right side (Trepiuno = tre più uno = 3 + 1 doors).

Trepiùno is the name of the concept presented at Geneva 2004 motorshow that translated in the design of the Fiat 500 three years later.
    The name meaning was 3 passengers + 1 occasional passenger, in this new use should mean 3 doors + 1 suicide door.

AlfaCuda, pumadog and ScramFan like this.
  3. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

pumadog and MJAB like this.
  4. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

That version is included in the owner's manual already. I still hope for a Giardiniera (station wagon) since half doors like this (as on the previous MINI Clubman) don't seem very practical.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  5. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

2021 Fiat 500e Trepiuno (three plus one):

[​IMG]

Source: automoto.it

pumadog, MJAB and T_690 like this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Hmh. I thought it would have a slightly longer wheelbase that the 3 door version. It seems that's not the case.

7. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I was told last year that there is (or was) also a true 5-door model in the family, so maybe it will arrive next year.

This third door is a pretty good option for the standard “short” 500. It gets over the big reason why buyers don’t like 3-door cars: child-seats. You can put a child-seat into the current 500 model, but it’s not easy, and it’s even harder to put the kid into the seat afterwards. This arrangement makes it much easier, while keeping the car compact.

Like the 2007 Mini Clubman, the front door overlaps the rear one, so it is impossible to open the rear door on its own. Also like that car, I assume that the door is always at the right, regardless of where the steering-wheel sits. Unless FCA was able to sell this model in Japan, the economics of making two versions won’t add up.

pumadog, MJAB and AlfaCuda like this.
  8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Will they import this into the USA? If Fiat had the 500e Trepiuno in a trim level that is close to what the old 500e compliance car had, I would be very interested.

9. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

Electric only?

10. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

@AlfaCuda that's the big question, isn't it? I think there's definitely a market for a 5 door 500 BEV but there will also still be a market for ICE versions for the next 5-10 years: the existing 500 can't hang in that long.

romalerig, AlfaCuda and T_690 like this.
  11. pumadog

Wouldn't that be the Giardiniera?

12. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

I think making the Fiat 500 longer and giving it 4 doors would of made it more palatable to Americans
    Fiat-500-4door-rendering.jpg

tlc and freshforged like this.
  13. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Fiat could install the plugin hybrid system from the Compass/Renegade 4Xe into the Fiat 500X and it would be a good fit for our market. Both the new 500e and and a 500X plugin hybrid could be imported. The sales numbers don't have to be large since they are built for other markets.

tlc likes this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Numbers would be large when you consider how few 500X they sell and the regulatory cost of adding any new configurations.

Maybe EPA and even NHTSA would have been trusting about that, but not since Ford cheated.

15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There are rumors that the base version of the 500 electric will have a less powerful electric motor (about 90 - 95 HP) and a smaller battery capacity.
    To note that smaller battery capacity = less weight. I think weight reduction should be at least of 100 kg for a 25 kWh vs. a 42kWh battery of the "LaPrima".

T_690 likes this.
  17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Fiat 500 electric versions will be presented to the oress next 22 of october in Turin (Italy).

18. pumadog

What does that mean? There have been international press drives in Turin already. Different versions to la prima? More than 10 minute drives?

19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

They will present all the trim levels, data and very likely also the prices.
    For example we will know the technical data of the base version.

20. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Yes, full press launch is on Thursday 22. October.. Initial model range, options and pricing. Italian dealers will run open days on the Saturday and Sunday after (24 and 25 October) for customers to see and order the car.

@pumadog press were given a preview, but it was limited to city driving and excluded the in-cabin systems. From Thursday, everything will be on the table.