Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allpar.com Motorsports News Section Poll:

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by moparbob, May 12, 2015.

?

Of the current series (2015) MOPAR teams participate in , which race series, do you follow the most?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2015.
  1. NHRA Mello Yello Series - Funny Car (Dodge Charger)

35.3%
  2. NHRA Mello Yello Series - Pro Stock (Dodge Dart/Avenger)

47.1%
  3. Tudor IMSA Sports Car Series - Dodge Viper GTD class

38.2%
  4. NASCAR Canadian Tire Series

11.8%
  5. Pirelli World Challenge Series - GT-A class

8.8%
  6. SCCA Trans AM Series TA 2 class (Dodge Challenger)

44.1%
  7. SCCA Trans AM Series TA 3 International class (Dodge Viper)

11.8%
  8. Upcoming Race at LeMans - (Dodge Viper)

35.3%
  9. Don't follow these series or teams PERIOD! Not a motorsports fan period or of the above listed.

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

As mentioned, I'm NOT totally avoiding NASCAR. I'm giving fans a chance to see the races in Canada where a MOPAR has a better chance at winning & where Dodge is the #1 manufacturer. Who repeatedly wants to hear a about a team that starts & parks or finishes in the back of the pack. Also some of these teams do not run a real Dodge engine. Hardcore NASCAR fans don't appreciate supporting a "fake" Mopar team as mentioned here before by some members.

BASONE88 likes this.
  2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'm not going to see Mopar's racing in places I'd like to see them : I'm pretty interested in WRC. I like what I've seen on the Tube when I've been able to see World Touring (and similar). None of our NAFTA sedans have been designed to homologate readily in WTC, for instance. Chevy and Ford have done that, Chevy already having been quite a player in that series.

I like it when the Viper is competitive and garners Podium finishes. I certainly liked NASCAR much better when Dodge was in it. I still scratch my head as to why there wasn't much more air time for Kaslowski when Penske/Brad K won the whole shebang before going to Ford. Where were the TV adverts telling people about it?

We're not in some of the racing that I'm interested in, and I know my tastes run a different path compared to what others here seem to like. We have quite a group here.

3. moparbob

Level 2 Supporter

I too, miss GRC when Travis Pastrana was driving a Dart, was actually hoping it would lead into a venture into WRC but the GRC effort never got off the ground properly & Dodge was stuck with a car that handled poorly for rally use.
    Would like to see Dodge/MOPAR/FCA make another run at it but this time use the Fiat 500/500X instead. It would get FCA much needed exposure in a global race series & environment.
    As for WTC, Fiat would also be an excellent choice for this series as well.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I love Canada, but frankly, it's population is smaller than CA and I'm not that interested in Canadian NASCAR, when their cars can't come to the US. The driver talent up there is great, but when they come here, trained by Dodge and then drive Brand X cars, it's just a waste of FCA resources.
    When sports cars race before empty stands, its a waste of FCA advertising dollars. FCA needs to be involved in NASCAR, for a broader customer exposure. it can't wish it away.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  5. hemi_magnum

hemi_magnum Well-Known Member

It is difficult to be a fan of Chrysler factory racing when there is very little factory support out there. Simple as that. We can scratch and claw and attempt to dig up all these smaller racing series, but it is a bit of a futile effort, especially when it feels forced.

I will not actively follow Mopar racing wherever they are the big fish in a little pond. I want Chrysler brands racing, competing and winning against the very best in the highest tiers of motorsports. They had it (multiple times), managed to lose it (multiple times), and won't put much of an effort to rebuild. As such, my interest wanes to near zero.

Canadian NASCAR is fun and good, but not relevant to US audiences when we already have the flagship franchise. Canadian NASCAR is literally the lowest tier of all the regional series as far as exposure and participation. This is not a slam, just the truth.

TransAm is great, but I will not watch tape-delayed... anything. This series should be praised but not overly because it ultimately feels like we're racing against ourselves on an island. To steal a quote from a recent Cameron Lawrence interview, "My dream and goal has always been to be a factory driver at the top levels of racing." This should be Chrysler's developmental series so racers like Cameron can have a ladder to the highest tiers with Chrysler. Otherwise, all that winning in Challengers will lead to him representing the competition when people are actually watching.

If/when TransAm returns to being a big deal and welcomes substantial support from major OEMs and Chrysler doesn't drop out because they finally face competition, then it might be something worth making time for on a regular basis.

NHRA is interesting, but not my cup of tea. I enjoy the history Chrysler has in that series and the partnerships they have. And of course, I love it when they win. But, for whatever reason, I just have never been able to fully grasp this racing series.

Viper, to this point, has been our guiding light post-NASCAR, and with it now gone as well, to be replaced by a privateer GTD effort (albeit an excellent one)... it all just feels like wasted potential.

tl;dr: FCA seems to be good at supporting the side show with no efforts made toward the main show. The side show can only drum up so much interest.

I'm willing to bet the ARCA win at Talladega got more exposure than any of these other efforts.

I appreciate the efforts made to keep people up to date on where exactly we can find a Mopar racing, but more often than not it'll be a "oh, cool" reaction and not something that requires massive active participation.

GasAxe, JavelinAMX and MoparNorm like this.
  6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Excellent post.
    As much as I appreciate MoparBob's effort to find anything Mopar related in auto racing, and as much as I sympathize with that futility, the cheerleading for the minor auto sports does indeed feel forced.
    I have never understood why more fans do not watch American sports car racing, maybe it's the dry coverage by announcers not from the US maybe it's the effort to cover all classes equally that downplays the Viper, Challenger efforts, it's really hard to say. (...AND that is not a knock on those series, heck I race in the most minor of minor series, yet we are starting to fill seats, especially at both Reno and Sacramento and KOH has drawn over 75,000 people the last two years.)
    That said, sports car racing is tremendously exciting when covered properly. Some of the most exciting NASCAR racing of the last decade was on the road courses, with Keselowski in his Dodge dicing it up with ringers.

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

A lot of it also has to do with the lack of TV coverage. In flipping through the channels to find a race of anything, if I see anything with a Mopar in it, I'll follow it a bit, and if not, the channel gets changed, simple as that. That's one thing about NASCAR, a race almost every weekend for 38 weeks out of the year.

MoparNorm likes this.
  8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I think it would be great to have meaningful backing in these race series - whether Chrysler branded or Fiat or Lancia or whatever.

I just don't think it ought to be Ferrari in F1 and nothing else. But leaving meaningful race series after just getting your toes wet is beyond fickle. That's what we've seen.

On the other hand, I agree the 500X might be a better fit for WRC, however, I'd also like to see a NAFTA nameplate working in that space, too. Lancia appeal is more upper crust now, but many of us recall the strong imprint Lancia made on Rally back in the day. An Ypsilon (as we note in another thread) would be a great presence there today - if given half a chance. ( And I don't want to re-cast Lancia into its previous light it once had 20 years ago or so - I know it has grown in another direction since then; but I don't want it to be a one-trick-pony nowadays, either. Lancia was King of the Hill at that time. It has a pretty rich history. But there it is now balancing its business life on the knife's edge).

I'd like to see other FCA models in other racing series, but we're asking privateers to shoulder a ton of responsibility. It doesn't seem plausible to expect more racing activity at the lower level when there aren't that many crumbs falling off the King's table for the lowly people to feed off of.

Because of that, I'm not that moved to view FCA models in racing with very much verve. When they race, I do want them to win. But in the back of my head I wonder for how long this time?

Chrysler fans aren't responsible for those decisions.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I see the racing series not as something that improves profits, as in race on Sunday and sell on Monday (that was almost 40 years ago), but as something for the masses that have made the company successful, more, thanks for buying the brand, here is some entertainment I am backing, now enjoy the races. One has to admit, it is really hard to rub into someone's face the Mello Yellow series Mopar wins when there is even less Mopar in them than the NASCAR series, or at least perceived that way. After spending $4billion dollars on two factories, it just seems there should be a few scraps that could have been thrown to NASCAR to thank us for keeping the company in business.

MoparNorm and Beentherebefore like this.
  10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Also don't forget, if reports were true, FCA spent 6 billion on marketing last year, an inconceivable number that also includes the Motorsports budgets. 6 billion leaves a lot of room for a few million here and there...if they knew how to capitalize on it.
    Paretta didn't. Who wins a Cup title and doesn't run spots taking advantage of that?
    Only the ignorant.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  11. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

Why split NHRA, the only races I don't watch closely are the top fuel and bikes. I pull for all Dodge teams in both Funny Car and Pro Stock.

burtstwins and MoparNorm like this.
  12. moparbob

Level 2 Supporter

The thought here was that there were more fans for a Charger vs a Dart or vice versa or even more fans for a "stock bodied" car vs a car that is full of stickers & doesn't fully represent a real street looking Charger.
    Simply put I was leaving it separate & open to allow fans to show their personal tastes & interpretation.

13. moparbob

Level 2 Supporter

Do you like/follow a series more when there less MOPAR/Dodge cars in a race & more competitors?

Or

Do you like/follow a series more when there are more MOPAR/Dodge cars in a single race with equal or less competition?

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Huh?
    I follow what I consider to be the best racing. Best competition, the hardest to beat, with the best Mopar can offer as a competitor.
    Don't like spec series, love Trans Am, let's get it on live national TV.
    Not an open wheel fan (sacrilegious on this date?) I was when there were still Americans racing in it, now they are mostly in NASCAR. What better field than Gurney, Foyt, Unser, Andretti, Parnelli Jones, Mears and Gang?.
    Will root for anything Mopar, unless it's contrived like that inane GRC, which died a deserved death.
    WRC? Bring on some real American competition for the Euro boys with some name American drivers.
    NASCAR is where the fans are, NASCAR is where Dodge should be, NHRA is OK, but Marchionne messed up.
    Now I follow the former Dodge drivers, just out of curiosity and laugh every time they win, using things they learned on Dodge's dime.

GaryS likes this.
  15. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

There are a ton of folks who don't care about any type of racing. "Gearheads" like racing and a VAST majority of humans on this planet are not gearheads! :eek:

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

However the 10-15 million or so that are, are enough to give a competitive manufacturer the advantage...
    Just saying, there is no slogan, "That thing got a 4 banger?"

Besides,... we don't care about the vast majority of humans on the planet, only Americans with disposable income...;)

DC-93 likes this.
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

2015 Charger sales are up without nascar... just sayin' !! :cool:

Dave Z likes this.
  18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, but what might they have been if they were running in NASCAR?

MoparNorm likes this.
  19. moparbob

Level 2 Supporter

I think the point is that there are more ways to market than racing & most of the general public that doesn't follow really doesn't care. This is SM' chief point of view & it seems to be working if you look at the production sales results. If you can spend less on marketing & still get your point across & still kick the competition in the a$$, it's all & well worth the approach FCA is taking whether or not you agree in the direction the company is headed.

In relation to the Charger, NHRA Mello Yello Series also is fueling the marketing message for MOPAR & FCA

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Dodge is the performance brand (for now) not having your top model involved in the most watched form of American Motorsports, is simply lame.
    Marchionne uses money as the excuse, but then he has wasted more than the entire NASCAR budget on his on again-off again false starts and changes of direction regarding the future of Dodge, Chrysler, Fiat and AR.
    6 billion spent on marketing and he couldn't find 50 million for Motorsports?
    Does anyone comprehend just how much 6 Billion is???
    6,000,000,000 vs. 50,000,000, or 120 times 50 million, or equal spending 50 million, every three days, for a YEAR!

GasAxe and DC-93 like this.