Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allpar.com Motorsports News Section Poll:

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by moparbob, May 12, 2015.

?

Of the current series (2015) MOPAR teams participate in , which race series, do you follow the most?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2015.
  1. NHRA Mello Yello Series - Funny Car (Dodge Charger)

35.3%
  2. NHRA Mello Yello Series - Pro Stock (Dodge Dart/Avenger)

47.1%
  3. Tudor IMSA Sports Car Series - Dodge Viper GTD class

38.2%
  4. NASCAR Canadian Tire Series

11.8%
  5. Pirelli World Challenge Series - GT-A class

8.8%
  6. SCCA Trans AM Series TA 2 class (Dodge Challenger)

44.1%
  7. SCCA Trans AM Series TA 3 International class (Dodge Viper)

11.8%
  8. Upcoming Race at LeMans - (Dodge Viper)

35.3%
  9. Don't follow these series or teams PERIOD! Not a motorsports fan period or of the above listed.

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I couldn't agree more, Norm. I know it isn't Formula racing, which is impossible to watch without TV coverage. And as far as their advertising budget goes, they could use a little bit of help in showing more than the 200, Dodge Ram trucks, and the occasional Jeep and charger/Challenger, and Fiat 500 stuff. I thought there were more than five American models in the DCJR lineup, but would never know it from the commercials

Hey, maybe they could do something like the March of Dimes and all the cancer society organizations, etc., do, and heck, even your income tax paper does; ask for a $100 donation to support NASCAR racing program. Even if only half say yes, the program is paid for. Heck, I would even pay for that.

2. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Probably less, since Charger buyers could care less.
    NOTE: I said "Charger BUYERS". Non Charger buying folks on a forum, discussing things, don't count... :p

3. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, this Charger owner thinks it is stupid that we are not racing in the number one rated series in the United States. Just saying.

4. hemi_magnum

hemi_magnum Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Camry buyers couldn't care less either. Except for that woman who's still convinced her Camry is grounded to the ground.

And yet Toyota has a loyal following in motorsports - fans and teams alike.

They cater to their following, to their roots - and bring in newcomers who finally "got" the message. Not that Camry is a sports car, but that Toyota/Honda/Ford/Chevy/Mercedes/Audi is passionate and committed to winning and competing against the best and want you, as an owner/enthusiast, to be a part of it. Consumers want to be associated with a proud and winning name even if they have no idea what it is they're winning in.

Are the majority of Subaru buyers rally racers? And yet Subie knows how to cater to its enthusiastic core while marketing to the masses.

Are the majority of Honda buyers IndyCar or F1 drivers? And yet Honda knows how to cater to its enthusiastic core while marketing it to the masses.

Not every single person or consumer in the world has to care for something to be worthy of doing. It's marketing's job to make them care.

Otherwise no one would be racing, anywhere. Hell, no one would be doing anything anywhere, if we need everyone to care from the very start.

For "America's Fastest-Growing Performance Brand," Dodge needs motorsports. Dodge needs to compete against the very best to prove its worth. Dodge needs to be a winning name and show it off to the world to make it a brand worth considering in people's eyes.

Just because the marketing team couldn't sell it to management doesn't mean it's not viable. It means they have no idea how to market Dodge's DNA and reason for existing beyond CGI monkeys and reality shows.

They never fail to mention and acknowledge Alfa's racing DNA and history to anyone who will listen, despite not having done much in recent times. But Dodge's racing history, even as they were continuing to add to it, is merely a footnote, never to be mentioned in the light of day - for fear that those who do care, will once again insist upon them to go back racing, where they belong.

GasAxe and Mopar Jerry like this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

There are a ton of folks that do. Nascar Cup alone draws 4 - 6 million TV viewers per race according to viewership numbers that Jayski posts. Add IRL, sports car series, NHRA, lower level Nascar series, and weekly short track action involving sprint cars, WOO, modifieds etc. and you are probably looking at 10 million + racing "eyes" either at TV or actual attendance at the tracks each summer weekend. When you add in overseas series like F-1, rallye, Aussie Supercar etc, it's probably over 25 million fans worldwide. In addition to being knowledgeable about performance vehicles, these "gearheads" also influence many of their family and friends about vehicle performance and purchases.

GM spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

Ford spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

Toyota spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

Honda spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

Nissan spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

VW/Audi spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

Mercedes spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

BMW spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

Hyundai/KIA spends big $$$ supporting teams in multiple racing series.

I guess you can try to make the case that they are ALL foolish and wasteful for doing so, but you'll never convince me of that. The whole performance marketing world army is out of step except FCA???

MoparNorm and Racer50200 like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

We've been through this...

Dodge does compete in NHRA and other series. They do Canadian NASCAR. American NASCAR, the effectiveness is questionable due to the personality cult and the habit of referring to the sponsor of the series, race, and car but not to the automaker.

DC-93 likes this.
  7. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Racing has turned into "entertainment value". Something to watch if you have nothing to do.

Recently, I have been so busy with life, that I FORGOT to watch the Talladega race! Found out that Jr. won on Tuesday.

8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I respect your opinion and am GLAD you own a Charger. So do I.

9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Well, all the racing $$$ that GM and Ford have spent and let's see - they got lower market share...
    Toyota has been increasing market share for years without racing... Why get in now? Perhaps because they have taken have billions upon billions of dollars out of the US economy and they feel sorry for our declining standard of living ?? Just askin'

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I have two Chryslers. I forgot to watch the races or I'd have a Camry and a, um, what do GM and Ford race again?

Toyota... is trying to pretend they’re as American as Chevrolet (French), Mom (Edenian), hot dogs (German), and apple pie (not sure).

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yeah, and a whole new generation of prospective purchasers who attend Nascar races with their families are likely to buy into the purpose of the "pretend". Toyota is now even providing motors for sprint car racing - about as American as you can get.

#51 Beentherebefore, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A quote (from a much longer article) on Jayski's yesterday concerning a reorg of Ford's racing hierarchy;

Raj Nair, Ford Group Vice President, Global Product Development, and Chief Technical Officer described the introduction of Ford Performance - and Pericak's role in overseeing the program was "part of our overall strategy at Ford to ramp up our investment in performance and racing to take advantage of a growing market worldwide for performance vehicles."

Link to article in yesterday's "Detroit News" about how Honda will be increasing it's efforts in F-1 and other racing series and how much a performance image means to an auto company;

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/op.../29/payne-qauto-honda-got-mojo-back/28182439/

Looking at a few months of auto sales for a particular model doesn't prove much one way or another. If your theory of participation in motorsports costing sales were carried to it's logical conclusion, then ALL the major auto companies would be losing sales (especially ones like Porsche) and Chrysler would quickly be #1 in auto sales in the world. Virtually all the major auto companies EXCEPT for Chrysler speak of building a performance reputation over years and even decades with continuing participation in MAJOR motorsports series.

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Aren't there "personality cults" in most major sports and in the entertainment world (granting that Nascar is a form of entertainment)? That is a two-edged sword that can be very beneficial if manipulated and supported correctly. Chrysler's support of Richard Petty for over a decade still has his fans associating him with Mopar race cars today, no matter how hard Ford tries to bury that reputation. I can also tell you that Bill Elliot's switch to racing Dodges for Evernham in 2001 got plenty of media publicity, even though he will always be associated with driving Fords. Publicity, including personalities, is the whole purpose of performance marketing.

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Simple way to fix that, Sponsor the car...remember the "Dodge Dealers" effort when Dodge came back into NASCAR...when Keselowski won the Championship, it was always referred to as the Penske Dodge.

15. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Hmm... I remember GM having 52% of the market and Ford a solid 25%. Chrysler would have 12-15%, around where they are now. All that money spent on racing and less market share now, decades later?

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Racing works, if your street version isn't crap, unfortunately for GM, their best efforts are on the track, not the dealer's lot.

DC-93 and Beentherebefore like this.
  17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

When GM had 52% of the market, Chrysler had 16%+, at least when I did my College marketing course research circa 1965. In a good sales month, Chrysler (excluding Fiat sales) now hits around 12%. That's a 25%+ drop in market share, not much better than Ford's.
    I know literally dozens of GM buyers who bought partly on the company's performance reputation. A lot of them later left GM, disgusted, as Norm said, at the heaps that GM builds.

All the American manufacturers lost ground to the foreign competitors which offered better fuel economy, reliability, and at least some performance in competitive motorsports . Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi all have been participating in one or more major motorsports series for decades. It sure didn't hurt their sales.

DC-93 likes this.
  18. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

So racing doesn't help?
    Perhaps GM needs a Hellcat? :cool:

19. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

And while the big 3 were racing, others came in, mostly without it, and stole sales with the 2 other above mentioned attributes.

I get it! :cool:

MoparNorm likes this.
  20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Didn't say that, however the improvements we used to see move from the track to the production car, are often superseded today by federal mandates.
    The days of racing stock cars are over, but racing still matters in brand loyalty and buyer enthusiasm.
    And for the record, the Hellcat works because of systems developed for racing.;)

DC-93 likes this.