Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allpar.com Motorsports News Section Poll:

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by moparbob, May 12, 2015.

?

Of the current series (2015) MOPAR teams participate in , which race series, do you follow the most?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2015.
  1. NHRA Mello Yello Series - Funny Car (Dodge Charger)

35.3%
  2. NHRA Mello Yello Series - Pro Stock (Dodge Dart/Avenger)

47.1%
  3. Tudor IMSA Sports Car Series - Dodge Viper GTD class

38.2%
  4. NASCAR Canadian Tire Series

11.8%
  5. Pirelli World Challenge Series - GT-A class

8.8%
  6. SCCA Trans AM Series TA 2 class (Dodge Challenger)

44.1%
  7. SCCA Trans AM Series TA 3 International class (Dodge Viper)

11.8%
  8. Upcoming Race at LeMans - (Dodge Viper)

35.3%
  9. Don't follow these series or teams PERIOD! Not a motorsports fan period or of the above listed.

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

As I said, we were building crap. Imports were also crap, but they sold upon a marketing strategy and a cheap price...and to be accurate, Honda and Toyota and others are indeed deeply involved in racing.

DC-93 likes this.
  2. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

If Nascar doesn't have any impact according to some why does Dodge have a Daytona package? Does anyone besides me think it is pretty stupid to have a Daytona package but you don't race the Daytona Charger at Daytona? It's right along the same line of thinking as having the Ram move of the race for the truck series but there isn't a single Ram in the race.

3. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

I do watch other forms of racing, I go to the local short track. But NHRA is on late and doesn't get over until well past prime time, the other forms are not mainstream and are there if you search for them but I know I can find a Nascar race almost every weekend on a mainstream channel and I can watch 3 series of Nascar racing. Tune into LeMans, will we see a Viper? Maybe, maybe not. This coming from the guy who used to watch Pinks All Out because I knew there were going to be some Mopars in the field, there were other shows I would watch for the same reason such as My Ride Rules and Passtime just hoping to see a Mopar. So is there a logical reason Dodge is not in Nascar? You can apply the same argument to other forms of racing of why we are there and why we aren't.

4. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

It's all about marketing SXT Charger, to FCA, why spend the money to race when a TV commercial or a sponsorship gets the point across or creates interest to the motorsports or non motorsports fan?

DC-93 likes this.
  5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

That may be, but how many people that are not into racing actually end up reading some article about an interveiw with someone that races the brand and they get full blown above and beyond conversations about the brand that goes beyond a commercial or an ad or comparison test? Just like Junior stepping into his Chevy Silverado or Camaro at the end of an interview, even the interviewer says, "Well, there goes Dale Earnhardt Jr., driving off in his new Chevy Camaro, a beautiful car." They used to say that about Dodge Rams, charger Sedans and Challengers, but not anymore.

DC-93 likes this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Well...
    For one, Daytona isn’t always NASCAR. They used to hold the top speed runs there every year.
    For another, it’s historical, there was a Dodge Charger Daytona followed by a Dodge Daytona.

you may as well ask why there’s a Dodge Challenger if Chrysler isn’t in NASA and the space shuttle no longer exists.

DC-93 likes this.
  7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I believe the Challenger was around before the space shuttle.

MoparNorm, DC-93 and Beentherebefore like this.
  8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Indeed! MANY (ALL) Top Fuel cars use injected hemis with superchargers!! The trickle down theory!! ;)

9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

The 70 Challenger was a great idea, but years late to the party.. Maybe if it was launched in 66 or 67...

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

All right, then the USS Challenger on Star Trek.

DC-93 likes this.
  11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

USS Challenger (NCC-71099) was in the Star Trek's 100th episode on Star Date 2378, which aired November 18, 1998, so that doesn't work either, but cool you thought of it. She was destroyed by the Borg (go figure).

DC-93 likes this.
  12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Not true. Honda has been in IRL for what? over 25 years now? I'm not a big IRL fan but it is the 2nd biggest racing series in the US and Honda makes it a point to be seen in the series, win or lose. Before that, they were in F-1 and they are now returning to that series. Honda is smaller than FCA, yet they manage to come up with funding, engineering, and enthusiasm for what are, arguably, the two most expensive racing series that exist. Honda also races in several touring car series and several major sports car racing series.

Toyota races virtually everywhere now, but they are the biggest auto company in the world and can certainly afford it. As I mentioned a few days ago, they are even getting into Sprint Car racing series now and you can't get much more American than that with all the tracks in the Midwest.

Subaru does rallying - to be expected if you feature AWD cars. Where are the Jeep products at the major off-road rallys like Dakar?

BMW, Audi, and Mercedes are seen just about everywhere in racing (except Nascar). I check a half dozen racing web sites every weekend and see just about every major auto brand participating in some kind of high-level motorsports event...................except Chrysler main brand vehicles (NHRA excepted).

hemi_magnum, MoparNorm and DC-93 like this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yes, that is the payoff for all the factory development and support that Chrysler gave to racing Hemis back in the 60s and early 70s. It eventually became "THE MOTOR" for NHRA fuel racers. The lesson in this is that it shows how investment and support of major motorsports series can pay dividends 50 years later! Even non-racing fans knew Hemis by their performance legacy. That's why the company could just advertise "Hemi" for their Gen III Hemi cars/trucks and sold lots of them by reputation. They are not going to be able to live off that reputation much longer without doing some high-level racing with the Gen III Hemi (or ANY of their motors).

DC-93, Mopar Jerry and burtstwins like this.
  14. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Not to mention Funny cars! They all run injected hemis based off the 426 design.
    But wait, the body is a what??? Not a MoPar?? How can that be??

Yes - average Joe thinks his "Mustang" won a race and he doesn't know it has a hemi!

Go ahead - blame Chrysler... Until sales stall, I don't see any more dough going for racing... Trying to get more production out of plants it the current 'problem'...

Recall the old Direct Connect ad, thanking Ford and GM for using "our" engine in their Funny cars?? lol!!!

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I have some old direct Connection ads lying around (somewhere) but don't remember that one. If you can locate it, it'd be great to see it on the NHRA Historical thread.

No argument from me on the Funny Car bodies - not much could be further from "stock". Nevertheless, Mopar supports them in a big way and seems to believe that at least some prospective customers draw a link between a Mopar F/C and something that can be bought in a showroom. That does, however, negate the argument that they shouldn't participate in Nascar because the race cars no longer represent real stock cars.

16. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Agreed - being in NHRA makes no sense, when the cars are not recognizable by the public. Perhaps it's as simple as the NHRA treats Chrysler (now FCA) better than Nascar did? :confused:

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

There is a history of some anti-Chrysler discrimination in NHRA also, but not as much as there was in Nascar. I've already talked about some of it on the NHRA historical thread. When I first started racing in NHRA in the 60s, their head tech guy, a fellow called "Farmer" Dismuke was reputed to despise Mopars. He bought into the deliberately lower HP ratings of "BrandC" and Pontiacs which allowed them to run in lower classes in Stock and SS than the equivalent Mopars. As an example, I ran a '63 Fury with a 318" 2bbl in H/SA and I/SA and I had to run against "Brand C"s with 4bbls because they were rated by their factory at lower HP than I was. Over the 7 or 8 years that Dismuke was head of tech, those under-rated HP GM cars won many class trophies which helped to establish their performance reputations. Dismuke retired circa 1968 and then NHRA went to a "Classification" system for their Stock and SS classes which tried to calculate the actual HP the motors were putting out rather than take the manufacturers' word on what their motors' HP was. Suddenly Mopars started to show up on the NHRA National Class records sheets. That classification system is still used by NHRA today and is now mostly done automatically by computers.

An even more famous example of NHRA's anti-Mopar discrimination was the changing of their Pro-Stock class rules in 1972 after Ronnie Sox and other Mopar drivers had swept every NHRA National meet in Pro-Stock in 1971. NHRA changed the P/S rules to favor small blocks in small cars (like the Vega and Pinto) and it spelled the end of the 426 Hemi cars being really competitive. Part of the calculation was that Chrysler did not even have a US built sub-compact car at the time. NHRA was noticing that when Pro-Stock elims were called, all the "Brand C" fans would leave the stands and go to the restrooms or the pits. A while back, I read on the net that, before he died, Wally Parks apologized to Buddy Martin for the deliberate discrimination and admitted that they had treated Chrysler drivers unfairly. Buddy Martin related that story at one of the Mopar reunions but, for the life of me, I just cannot recall which site I read about it on. If I ever run across it again, I'll be sure to post it on the NHRA historical thread.

DC-93 likes this.
  18. CharlieE

CharlieE New Member

I just sit around and hope & pray that Chrysler will one day return to NASCAR. I do think it would create some brand excitement and that would translate to better sales.

19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Don't hold your breath. I don't see it happening. Maybe not even in the time I have left on this good earth.

Even when Dodge did come back after a 20 year absence I had a feeling it wouldn't last.