Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator Regulator 1968 a108 318

Discussion in 'Vans' started by hillbillybuddha, Sep 7, 2016.

1. hillbillybuddha

hillbillybuddha New Member

I picked up this van a few months ago but I'm just getting into it. Looking at the "work" the PO did has me scratching my head. I'm going over the electrical and comparing it to the wiring diagram and nothing seems to line up yet. I think I'll be able to figure most of it but the Alt Reg isn't marked so, I'm not sure which wires go where. or, if the PO added an internally regulated alt.

I've added three pictures. (if the pictures don't load, you can click on the "did not load" image and it should take you to my photobucket account)

Picture (A) Alternator:

*Green wire (marked with blue on picture) goes from Alt to Alt Reg.
    *Thin Blk Wire (marked with orange on picture) connects from Alt to Alt.
    *Thick Blk Wire (marked in purple) goes towards the front of the van, but I have not yet followed it all the way.

[​IMG]

Picture (B) Alternator Regulator:

*Green Wire (Marked in Blue on Picture) from alternator.
    *Red Wire (marked in Purple) goes nowhere. It just dangles freely.
    *Blk Wire (marked in orange) goes to ground, under ballast resister.

[​IMG]

Picture (C) Underside of Alt Reg (downloaded from JCWhittney)

self explanatory.
    [​IMG]

My Questions:

On the wiring diagram, from the Alternator, there are 3 wires. a black, a brown, and a light Green. The black goes to a light switch. I assume this wire is the thick black wire from picture (A) and (hopefully) hooked up correctly. The green wire goes to the Alt Reg but I don't know which terminal it is suppose to hook up to once it's there. Maybe, by chance, it is hooked up to the correct terminal on the Alt Reg but I will not assume that to be true. And the brown wire, which I assume is the thin black wire from Picture (A). on the diagram, this wire goes to the Alt Reg as well. Which terminal, on the Alt Reg does this wire hook up too? and from which Terminal on the Alt does it come from?

On the Diagram, From The Alt Reg, there are three wires. A light green, a brown (both from the alternator) and a dark Blue which runs to the ignition switch. Ive already asked above about the brown and green wires so my question here is; which terminal on the Alt Reg is suppose to connect to the Dark Blue wire?

Sorry about the wall of text, I just wanted to be clear with my questions.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

What you call "Alt Reg" should properly be called the voltage regulator. In 1968 they were an electromechanical assembly, mounted separately on the firewall. Did not go solid-state until 1970. Many people have done retrofits of solid state in older cars. The wiring has clearly been mangled by the previous owner.

This may help. Yours is the electromechanical assembly.
    http://www.allpar.com/photos/vimages/mopar-photos/electrickery/21.gif

hillbillybuddha likes this.
  3. hillbillybuddha

This, absolutely, helps. Just two more question, if you don't mind.

On the diagram you linked to, coming off the ballast resistor, one wire says "ignition 1" and another wire is marked "ignition 2". Can you explain where these go?

And, on the diagram you sent, the electromechanical regulator is "FLD" on one side and "IGN" on the other. My unit has no markings. How do I know which side is which?

This may help. Yours is the electromechanical assembly.
    http://www.allpar.com/photos/vimages/mopar-photos/electrickery/21.gif[/QUOTE]

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Ignition 2 goes back to the "start" side of the ignition key circuit, so that the coil gets full battery voltage during cranking. When the key is released to the On position, current flows through the resistor to the coil at reduced voltage. The reason is that the ignition coils used were the same as for the 6-volt systems that prevailed until the 1950s; they cannot sustain 12V continuously.

This describes charging systems better than anything I've seen:
    http://vintage.mitchell1.com/PClubData/chassis/elt77/V2D774002.pdf

5. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The green wire goes to the tab on the side that has no other terminals. The ignition wire goes to the other tab, which is the one nearest the screw terminal which connects to ground.

6. hillbillybuddha

If you look at the last picture I posted. The one from JCWhittney, you'll see that there are two small ground screws, catty-corner to each other . So each post had a ground screw close.

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

This is going from memory; the photo of your alternator looks like a later model unit. It is an isolated field type [one terminal for each brush]. They came with the electronic voltage regulators. Note that the bodies of these regulators must be grounded well in order to work.

The second diagram from Bob's post #2 explains the wiring well.