Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMC 304 V8

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by itstimeforimperial, Mar 17, 2013.

1. itstimeforimperial

itstimeforimperial New Member

Today I bought an old AMC 304 V8. The guy who sold it to me got it out of a '79 cj. Its in parts at the moment, and before I start reassembling it, I need an engine stand. My question is: how much do these weigh fully assembled? Also, I uncovered the serial number 3195527 stamped on the block. Does this mean anything?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The big, old Motors or Chiltons Auto Repair manuals usually had a section for identifying engine numbers as would the factory AMC/Jeep service manual. I don't know how important that is, but if a production running change were made it could be significant. If there was a late-year change, it might not be noted in the 1979 Motor or Chilton manual, but be in the 1980-81 manual.
    It would also provide procedures and measurement specs on putting it back together.
    Check with a larger public library in your area. The older books may be in the backroom stacks.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

304 V8, 1971-1979, do a search for AMC engine code decoder, it is on the internet and shows all AMC engine codes.

4. Voyager_Expresso

Voyager_Expresso Unusually Geeky

Great engine, IMO. Very solid bottom-end, because AMC built 'em that way.

PCRMike likes this.
  5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'm unaware if this information is what you're looking for, but it has what seems to be useful technical details . It starts with the original Nash engines ( with which AMC is connected ) :

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/engine-factory-amc-v8-engines.htm

It gives a generalized engine weight, then lists detail by displacement. It's the best I could find in short order. Other, better, detail can be had through competent manuals.

I had a few AMC cars, including a 1969 AMX with 343 CID V8. I miss that car even though I got rid of it in 1976.

6. Frantz

Frantz Member

More than a small block, less than a big block. All AMC V8s of that period had the same exterior dimensions, sometimes I read of em being referred to as mid-blocks to compare them to other makes sizes. That being said, i have rebuilt mine on standard Harbor Freight stands with no problems at all.

7. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Guest

Any engine stand, even the ones at Harbor Freight will hold the engine.

Later!
    Mr. Ed

8. Redman

Redman New Member

This is an old school rule of thumb, small block V-8 engines weigh in at 550 pounds, big blocks weigh in at 750 pounds. If you do purchase a lower priced engine stand it will only have a tri-pod [ 3 wheel ] base, 3 point base. the old saying you get what you pay for holds true when you see your beloved 440 bouncing up and down on the stand. Be safe and good luck! This is an old thread but will hopefully help some brother today

9. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

3195527: 1970 to 1982, 304

They often had a metal tag on the right valve cover held on with a Phillips head screw for exact I.D.

Thanks
    Randy