Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMC Repair Advice

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by AMC-Africa, Jan 19, 2013.

1. AMC-Africa

AMC-Africa New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm busy trying to give my 1973 AMC Hornet/Rambler's rear drum breaks a clean as she's been standing for a wile, but I'm having difficulty getting them to open. So far I've only managed to get the nut off, I hear that I have to get the shoes to release, but I'm not sure how to do this and Google isn't being very helpful.

Thanks

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Do the drums turn? Sometimes a rap with a hammer on the drum face will break the shoes loose. Grabbing the parking brake cable and flexing it may release any binding there.
    A puller tool will help remove the hub/drum assembly after the shoes are released. See if you can rent or borrow one.

http://www.etoolcart.com/rearhubpullerotc7394.aspx

The hub may be able to be kept on the axle and just the drum removed.

2011-10-08_18-02-23_155.jpg

Things may get destroyed in the process of forcing it, but parts should be available if that has to happen.

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/BrakesWheels2.htm

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

In addition, access the star adjuster and back the brake shoes off. Usually located at the bottom of the backing plate, usually, at this age, there is a rubber oval plug to be removed. Also, look for a screw somewhere between the lug studs, may be one holding the drum, some do, some don't. Hitting the drum with a plastic or brass hammer won't happen, but in the event one of Murphy's Law occurs, as in, hit it with a hammer. If it beaks, it needed fixing anyway.

4. AMC-Africa

AMC-Africa New Member

Yeah, they do turn. Alright, I have a puller.

I found a small steel cap with a nut either side of it, where you say the rubber plug would be, I'm assuming this is what I'm looking for? There are only three small holes among the lug studs.

I will take a look at the plug in the back, back the shoes and try the puller.
    Thanks guys.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

The rubber plug would be on the back cover for the drum, on the bottom, at least there will be a hole to stick a screwdriver in to turn the star wheel, back the brake shoes off in case there is a lip the drum is catching on. With the wheel studs, make sure there isn't a star washer holding the drum in place.

6. AMC-Africa

AMC-Africa New Member

Yeah, will do. Thanks

7. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

If your 1973 RSA Hornet was like my 1973 USA spec Hornet; you should have three small bolts between the wheel studs securing the drum to the axle hub.

8. Durang-goer

Durang-goer New Member