Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMX Pace car

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

In 1981 the CART/PPG Indy Car series was in its third year. Formed in 1979 by racing teams who had split from the previous sanctioning body, USAC, over how races were promoted, the way that television contracts were handled and what they believed to be the small size of the winners’ purses, the ‘81 PPG Indy Car World Series had 11 races on the schedule and featured drivers like Rick Mears, Johnny Rutherford and Mario Andretti. In time the series would go on to become the sole sanctioning body for all of Indy Car racing, but in 1981 the series was still in its infancy and, despite having Indy Car as a part of it name, did not even include the Indianapolis 500 among its officially sanctioned events.

To help promote the series, CART/PPG approached several major American auto manufacturers and asked them each to construct pace cars for the different events. Five manufacturers responded, including American Motors, who produced a custom bodied AMX. Based on the production “Spirit,” the AMX featured a fuel injected, turbo charged 258CID in-line 6 cylinder engine capable of a reported 450 horsepower. The car made its debut at the Milwaukee 150 on June 7 and at the end of the season went to AMC’s Vice President of Design, Richard Teague

I
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AvengerGuy, JavelinAMX and GLHS60 like this.
  2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

AMC was a very cool company in many ways!!

Thanks
    Randy

AvengerGuy and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

AMC products and people have done some interesting things which have gone unheralded. This one is a real different car, to be sure.

Also Indianapolis-related : A late 1960's AMC I6 Indianapolis 500 engine. That was someone undertaking development by themselves (not factory), if I recall. Had to look-up the name : Navarro ( ? ) . Anyway, interesting racing history trivia :)
    Glad to see it posted -

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Barney Navarro, one of my automotive hero's!!

Thanks
    Randy

[​IMG]

5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Excellent! That gives photo and journalistic proof that it worked; and the Motor Trend publishing date of September 1967 corrects my general note.

Thanks very much!

I would suppose that the very same power-plant transplanted into a new competitive chassis, with the most recent electronics and todays aero packages - but leaving the engine as tested in the 1967 Indy time trials as unmodified as possible - would improve on this engine's track times.

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Navarro attempted to get one of his cars qualified for the Indy 500 for three years in the late 1960’s when handling and driver problems kept the car off the starting grid. The power plant was a twin turbocharged 199 cubic inch Rambler engine with mechanical fuel injection designed by Navarro which put out over 700 horsepower.
    navarro_indy_roadster.jpg

JavelinAMX likes this.
  7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I agree..................one of mine too.....................king of the Ford Flatheads.......................he made some awesome cylinder heads and intake manifolds for one of my favorite engines.

8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Check out this site. His machine shop was auctioned off in 2005 and see a lot of the Rambler engine parts that were sold.
    WPS:AMC

10. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Good stuff Fast Eddie!!!!

There is a guy over at Speedtalk who knew Barney and helped with the 199 Turbo.

The Indy dream of a "stock block" even evaded Smokey and his SBC Chevy Turbo 208 incher.

Thanks
    Randy

PS: We had many Ford 24 stud Engines here with factory Aluminum heads but you probably knew that.

11. pt006

pt006 Active Member

AMX and 60; thanks for the info about the Indy 500 Rambler six. I never knew. I was aware of the 318 based Plymouth Indy engine.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  12. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Good reminder!!

I believe Andy Granatelli had something to do with that Indy Deal.

I always thought it was cool that it was referred to as a Plymouth as it was the Plymouth Poly that evolved to the LA.

I'll have to dig out my "They Call Me Mr 500 book" great read by Mr Granatelli.

Thanks
    Randy

13. pt006

pt006 Active Member

60; I believe you are right about Granatelli being involved. All I know is from a cutaway drawing of the engine. It shows a LA type head with LA valve covers. And 4 rectangular exhaust ports! With a head stud and nut between the center ports [and all the rest]. Injectors [Hilborn?] with ~8" stacks. Dry sump system. Gear driven camshaft with the horizontal distributor mounted directly to the cam. One rocker arm shaft. One plug per cylinder. Funny looking intake. STP sticker on the valve cover AND 'Plymouth Power'.

14. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member