AF: AN: 2015 Chrysler 300 officially revealed | Page 34 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: 2015 Chrysler 300 officially revealed

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The police/trooper lobby group in Texas has prevented the discontinuation of front plates for various reasons, despite a large savings for the state if they only produced one plate for vehicle. It comes up just about every legislative session and gets shot down.

The top reasons for keeping the plate, IIRC, were identifying vehicles from the front (ie if the vehicle is stolen or involved in a crime), it makes a perfect, flat reflective spot on the front of a vehicle, and toll camera operation (two possible identifiers instead of one).

Mike

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Got to love Texas.

Mike

RVC likes this.
  3. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Only one model. TC & 300 don't get that tagline in the ads I have seen.

4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Illinois' LEO community does the same thing in the name of "public safety."

5. aldo90731

California requires it too, but it is rarely enforced, unless you end up in greedy cities like West Hollywood or Laguna Beach; they are looking for any excuse to get money from you.

I don't have a front plate on neither my Challenger nor my JK...and I won't go to West Hollywood because their grabbyness just pisses me off...

edgecrusher likes this.
  6. Accelerati Incredibilus

Accelerati Incredibilus Well-Known Member

Paddle shifters have those added benefits over a console mounted shifter?

7. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Paddle shifters are nothing more than momentary contact switches. Same with the lever floor shifter....neither do anything more than "make" a circuit.

HotCarNut and valiant67 like this.
  8. Stratuscaster

The only benefit is not taking your hand away from the wheel to force a shift with your electronically controlled automatic transmission. o_O

9. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Which matters in a sports car while racing......otherwise not so much.

10. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Yes. Those levers do not control anything mechanical, unlike a sequential shifter that the styling came from.

HotCarNut and Mike V. like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I disagree on the “uselessness” of paddle shifters. They can be handy since you know what you're doing next and the car does not. It is a useful way to temporarily force a shift.

Also, WRT to front license plates, they are required in most states and I agree with the police on that one. Automakers need to just face up to the fact that they are required across most of the country.

Which states don’t require them? The entire Southeast (I am not counting Texas or Virginia since the people I know there usually count themselves out); AZ, NM, KS, and OK; MI, IN, KY, WV, and PA; and DE.

Who does? Of the bigger states, Texas, California, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Mass., Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, and, yes, even libertarian New Hampshire. You can get married at 13 (or is it 12?) but you'd better have a front license plate in the car that takes you to the church/synagogue/mosque/city hall (okay, we know it's going to be the church).

I firmly dislike toll cheats since I personally pay, and I don't see why I should pay for them, too. (Side note, apparently the things are needed for Customs too.) The plates themselves apparently cost less than a dollar, and tend to be kept for many years.

12. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

I am sorry, but law enforcement rarely looks at front license plates. Law enforcement looks for make/model//year/color first. Then, they look at a license plate. By that time, the vehicle has passed or law enforcement pursues to see the rear license plate.

Texas A&M did a study of the effectiveness of two versus one plate. All it focused on was revenue to the state via tolls or parking.

If there is no crime-reduction benefit to dual license plates, then it is a waste of money.

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  13. aldo90731

And that f-ugly front plate slows down my Challenger... :D

14. Stratuscaster

Just stating that the Illinois LEO groups fight the eliminination of the front plate every step of the way when it comes up.

Something interesting - I got a notice in the mail for a toll infraction because a vehicle with my plate number went through an electronic toll, but it was not one of my two registered vehicles. The plate in question is P with a series of 6 numbers after it.

Illinois issues plates for semi trucks that they call "partitioned vehicles." They all start with P, with series of 6 numbers after it.

The vehicle shown going through the electronic toll was a semi truck.

So not only do the front plates not get used for much, but the rear plates aren't always read correctly either.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with the 300 - expect for the fact that all the modern "big mouth" Chrysler grilles made no accommodation for a front plate.

HotCarNut and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. aldo90731

I also got a invoice and a fine from the private toll operator in Colorado claiming that my Chrysler 300 with California license plate HEMI425 was spotted driving on one of "their" toll roads in Colorado.

When I called to dispute based on the fact that I had never been to CO, they couldn't even tell me what color my car supposedly was.

Turns out, someone else did it, obviously not with CA issue plates since not two CA vehicles can have the same plate, and they had gone fishing through state records to try to collect money. Chance are they were trying to collect money from anyone in any state with that license plate.

Shame on the state agencies for allowing private businesses access to our private records for the sole purpose of good ole profit!

#675 aldo90731, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  16. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

....and Illinois has done a great job fighting crime.....

Moparian, Jerry Simcik and aldo90731 like this.
  17. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

"The clock surround", im wondering what it would have cost to make that piece from real wood or....a very convincing faux textured aplique? I'm asking because I think many, if not most, would be willing to foot the cost if kept to say a few hundred dollars added to the bottom line given the perceived level of refinement/luxury that would add. No?

18. Stratuscaster

We do, just not internally. ;)

19. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

The only reason the LEOs care about front plates is so they have a reason to pull you over and question you legally, hoping you'll let something slip.

In Texas for instance, not only are both plates required, but there are laws about the plates not being obstructed. Yet every single cruiser with a push bar has an obstructed plate... Shows how much they really care about it...

20. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

I would. That cheap void was the first thing I noticed in the interior. It's ugly, and a waste of space...