Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Analysts dismiss Jeep’s 2018 sales goal

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Allpar News System, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Allpar News System

Allpar News System Automated System

[​IMG]
    When Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne was on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange last Monday, he repeated his goal of making Jeep the company’s top global brand with annual worldwide sales of 1.9 million by 2018.…

Continue reading...

2. RVC

RVC Active Member

Well, what a shocker...the same experts that scoffed at the initial 5-yr plan, the Maserati 5-yr plan, and the 1M Jeep sales goal for 2014.

leo gali likes this.
  3. leo gali

leo gali Active Member

i fully agree.
    "experts" have been wrong from beginning to end.

anyway, forget about the "experts" and lets get on with the marketing.
    i have just come back from Ethiopia (looking for a Fiat 682 truck) and whenever i went to the rural areas people would tell me that there are only Jeep roads and i would need to rent a good Jeep for my trip.
    thing is there is not a Jeep to be seen in Ethiopia, except for a couple of GC belonging to fat cats in the capital Addis Ababa and those get washed 3 times a day because you would not want any mud on them.
    the name Jeep and the concept that there are JeepRoads is left over for WWII, and i can assure you Ethiopia is not the only place i have been where it is urgent for Jeep to put themselves in the marketplace.
    so, lets produce them and most importantly: sell them.

i for one, have full confidence in FCA that they will manage.

BASONE88 likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It is an ambitious goal. However, Jeep has something Dodge and Chrysler don't. An expanding product lineup. While Chrysler and Dodge are abandoning markets (300 SRT, Avenger, 200 convertible, Grand Caravan) with the promise that someday the lineups will again get new product, Jeep has new product NOW (Cherokee, diesel Grand Cherokee, Renegade). Like the new models or not, Jeep has a widening lineup while the others are contracting.

5. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

China is looking for investment deals in Italy. The Italian government will expect the Chinese to play nice with Fiat in Asia, if they are to welcome to the table in Italy. That might possibly open up more avenues in China for Fiat and Jeep.

Serbia is still close to Russia and the Serb's aren't participating in the economic sanctions. There is a possibility of the Serbian Fiat plant becoming a doorway to Russia in the same manner Mexico's manufacturing plants are to Brazil.

6. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

You make several BLATENTLY BAD assumptions about what Jeep can or cannot sell in Africa.

Today's Jeeps are not capable of living in such harsh conditions. The parts are not durable. The assembly is not durable. They aint the all conquering, go anywhere vehicles needed to live any useful life in Africa. Failure to accept this as a fact is denying acceptance of the life the AVERAGE person in Africa faces each and every day.

The AVERAGE person in Africa cannot afford the cost of a grand cherokee to drive everyday. Between maintenance, fuel costs, and initial purchase price, you are bankrupting both the people AND Chrysler.

Good going.

Why do you think there is so much difference between the technical and the western pickup trucks? They require a cheap, reliable, and inexpensive vehicle that can be fixedwith a ball pein hammer, a crescent wrench, a flat rock, and maybe a tree branch as a tire iron.

Chrysler doesnt make, doesnt distribute, and doesnt comprehend such a vehicle since 1991. So, you have "faith"? Yeah-good luck with that while Toyota eats your lunch.

7. jam1

jam1 Active Member

Bob, while some may "diss" your claims and say this or that about, yea, he's only 1-2% of the opinion out there, my thoughts are to listen and learn. I've meddled with all sort of vehicles; I'm no engineer, but I have common sense and can experience from repairing and modifying factory stuff.... in other words, I can tell the difference between crap and what's built fairly well and think it VERY wise to listen to you and what you have to say. What would it take to change course and/or take notice that a rugged Jeep should be built? I do NOT wish to start a negative campaign, just wish to ask so perhaps if enough folks pester the crap outta Jeep, some one that can make a difference may take notice...... may take a while, but to me, is worth the effort.... It currently looks like someone is trying to spread Jeep out on car-type platforms and the like? ....trying to meet demand where perhaps they THINK most sales are?

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Bob raises two key issues which are really beyond debate. One is the ability to repair a vehicle in the field with rudimentary tools, and the other is cost. Regardless of what you might think of a modern Jeep, those are key issues where Toyota leads by not leading, so to speak.

That said, so far SM’s goals have mostly been met, one way or the other.

9. TheMan

Level III Supporter

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.......
    old proverb in engineering.

What it means is that you have to sit down, shut up, and LISTEN to the needs of your customers. AND I mean this in the truest sense of the word "customer". Run away from ANYONE that uses the word "consumer". They are going to rob you blind.

Until FCA management gets down off their high horse and starts listening, then setting standards, then following through with the execution WITHOUT paying attention to [this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool] and consumers and marketers and other forms of yes-men......

FCA is going to be just another "me too" bit player. Just like FIAT has always been.

#9 TheMan, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Wow....couldn't read that without flashing back to AMC's takeover of Jeep.
    At the time AMC had a full product lineup, by 1988 it was dominated by Jeep, then AMC was swallowed by Chrysler.
    When Chrysler took control of Jeep, it also had a full product lineup, now what is left of Chrysler could simply be "Jeep" until FCA is taken over by someone else....does anyone still think there is no such thing as "The Jeep Curse"?
    In 10 years there might only be Jeep, Ram and Ferrari....maybe...

GasAxe and itzahemi like this.
  11. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

It will be very easy for Jeep to become Chryc's top selling brand. Just continue what Suergen Maroon is doing....starve Dodge and Chrysler to death.

Mopartial and ScottB like this.
  12. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

It would seem that a vehicle or set of vehicles for those markets would require a clean sheet of paper and would most likely be produced "there" rather than "here" since those vehicles wouldn't work in this market for a variety of reasons. Is the market big enough to make room for Jeep? How do you unseat someone as entrenched as Toyota is now? Lots of questions that FCA doesn't have answers for today.

13. TheMan

Level III Supporter

The term is "CKD" (Complete Knock Down) and I have accounted for local assembly in the Aluminum Wrangler article-look under the "Larry's..." in this subgroup. Assembly can be done
    at AAV in Egypt at this time and expanded as production and dristribution grows.

https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/larrys-reasoning-on-moving-jk-from-toledo.157639/page-2

#13 TheMan, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  14. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

At the dealerships I've worked in there are always exporters calling for older Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti luxury SUV's, who then sell them in Africa. It's been going on for years. I've always wondered WHO over there is buying so many of these things. In particular the Lexus RX models from 1999 through the mid-2000's seem to be in high demand. They are never interested in anything American, German, or for that matter even Honda products. Just Toyota and Nissan - which leads me to believe parts for those are easier to come by there and/or the luxo utes share enough components with other models that are common in African countries already.

15. TripleT

Level III Supporter

FYI

South Africa #1 market ... VW Polo Vivo, VW Polo, Toyota Hilux, Toyota Elios, Ford Ranger, Ford Figo, Toyota Corrola, Chevy Utility, Isuzu KB, Nissan NP200
    Algeria #2 market .... Dacia Logan, VW Polo, Hyundai Accent, Kia Picanto, Peugeot 208, Peugeot 301, Renault Symbol, Skoda Fabia, Suzuki Swift
    Egypt #3 Chevrolet TFR Single Cab, Hyundai Verna, Nissan Sunny, Cherolet Lanos, Chevrolet Aveo, Geely Emgrand EC7, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Hilux, Hyudai ix35, King Long XMQ650
    Morocco #4 Renault Kangoo, Dacia Dokker, Dacia Sandero, Dancia Duster, Renault Clio, Peugeot 301, Fiat Punto,

Doesn't seem to me that durability plays that much into purchase decision as does Price... Many of the popular models are just small entry level models... to that Support Bob thesis that utility and cost are the top consideration along with market availability........

Maybe the rise of Dacia make FCA believe that there is room for the Renegade maybe a version of Compatriot, but I don't see the market supporting Jeeps high margin models....

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I wasn't really including South Africa there. It's an exceptional country and Jeep is already doing moderately well. Not typical for the continent.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  17. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Ha without South Africa is get really bleak, Res looks more Ripe for the Chinese then Jeep ;)

#17 TripleT, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  18. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Have you looked a the 5 year plan? I suppose that is just a fake out to keep the pitchforks put away? I suppose that sizable investment in product indicates that they intend to kill Chrysler and Dodge, or did you expect it happen over night or is just more whining that Rental fleet princesses Avenger and Caravan being killed. YES Jeep has the biggest GLOBAL sales potential ... but NA is still the #2 Car market in the world so Chrysler and Dodge still have a good future but not with redundant models. But clearly with China being the #1 car market in the world and with there Love Affair with US car and Jeep ..... Jeep does have the biggest potential Global Market. Execution in China and Brazil is key to making those #s....

19. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The problem is perception. Chrysler and Dodge are losing product NOW while new product is still promised down the line. There are fewer models of cars (and even less variety in those lines) than historically has been the case. Does it make sense to drop some cars? Yes individually it does but fewer selections very often means fewer purchases. Let's have the salesman tell those lost customers "Don't worry, here's a copy of the 5 year plan. See you in a few years."
    Jeep and Ram have a new and expanding product line NOW.
    And we wonder why the rest of the public sees Chrysler as a company that relies on fuel guzzling trucks and SUVs for profit.

Mopartial and ScottB like this.
  20. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Money is being spent now, products do not magically appear.... Except when you just Make caps and claim that it another Brand model.... or remarket an existing model from a different market.

There truly isn't fewer models just less models with different grills.

Darn that FCA for making vehicles consumers want that make Margin instead of losing money on cause vehicles that never even return the investment.

tryphon and DAGAR like this.