AF: AN: Analysts dismiss Jeep’s 2018 sales goal | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Analysts dismiss Jeep’s 2018 sales goal

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Yet the only thing people are talking about right now is Dodge and Hellcat.

2. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Pretty funny considering the multiple false starts with Alfa, mostly hype, not much product. The inability to roll out KL within 12 months of their target date, the slow sales of 500, 500L, Dart and 200.
    It might be time to clean off your rosé colored glasses, they appear smudged...

Mopartial likes this.
  3. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

Oh dear.

#23 Morty, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    Alfa Romeo 159 and tryphon like this.
  4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

FIAT BAD .... thing were a lot better under the Germans and the private equity company. Its not Rose colored because NO one or group is perfect, not even the Keyboard experts here. Now one can choose to cry moan about the lack of perfection in there eyes .... question every decision focus on every short coming as proof of the superior intellect superior insight if only they were in charge. Or you can enjoy the new products as the come along. (this ancient thing.... Eve had everything but that darn Apple she couldn't be happy without)

Your choice.... we can have fun banter where you can call me a Rose Colored blind man and I can claim that you should try milk in your Cheerios instead of whatever is finding it way into the bowl... I hear there is a opening in 2018 sharpen your Resume.

Alfa Romeo 159, tryphon and DAGAR like this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

FCA is not making cars people want. Car sales continue to stumble, trucks and SUVs/CUVs are pretty much the only reason FCA sales are up.

It's not "Fiat bad" which you love to post so much, it's "Fiat misjudges the market" or simply does not care about cars.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yep, it's a halo car. But mot people can't buy it. Even if it's not limited production the cost is well above most people's income. Will the halo effect trickle down to "lesser" Dodges? Maybe. But Dodge is absent from the largest segment of the car market.

7. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

A CUV is a car.... If you look at the marker overall you will see a trend toward Tall Cars.... Why? simple they are more useful than a traditional sedan or coupe for the money.... that is not misjudging the market it is embracing it.... Not only that the Margins are better. They care about cars but does the consumer still? Yeah.... in one model they are going to displace Camry and Accord, Civic and Corolla ...... Now who has the Rose colored glasses.... FCA could make the perfect D & C segment cars and sell them at a lose and they would touch those models.

whine all you want ... it solves nothing, it helps nothing. ...... we are all on the ride here you can enjoy it or dread it.... I am just darn happy the we still have a company... not one sold in parts to various Chinese and Middle East companies.... I am beyond ecstatic the my friends and relatives that are getting hours and staying busy.... I am excited about the long list of product that are pipeline and ones that have been produced.

Guess I could get on here and complain everyday because I don't have the D-rwd Sedan with a Hemi yet .... but why make myself miserable.

8. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Right Challenger and Charger are languishing on the vine, the new 200 has gotten mostly positive reviews....... Dodge and Chrysler still have a stigma to overcome regarding the quality of their cars which is going to take a while to change perception, none of this change is going to come overnight. Have they stumbled on product launches? sure. Have they mainly corrected the issues for Dart and Cherokee, yes. Its not perfect but its better than it has been in what 20 years?

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

What...and take a pay cut?
    I have no problem with optimism, in fact I'm an optimist. Unfounded optimism however, in the face of facts indicating the opposite, is just groundless [this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool]ism...

#29 MoparNorm, Oct 23, 2014
  10. AHHA

AHHA Active Member

Want some perspective? In 2013, Jeep was the 30th best selling brand in the world. To reach Sergio's goal of 1.9M goal by 2018 sales would have to achieve sales close to Audi and Mercedes-Benz globally and move into the top 15 brands globally. It's not going to happen.

11. JRS200x

Level 2 Supporter

Why? Moving in to the top 15 is absolutely possible with increased global presence, of which there is VERY LITTLE right now.

Alfa Romeo 159 and MoparDanno like this.
  12. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Let me add a little perspective for you.

It was the 30th in the world BEFORE it hit the 1 million goal that it will hit in 2014, BEFORE plants open in China to sell them there, BEFORE the Renegade goes on sale internationally, BEFORE MP ( which will be out by 18 ) will go on sale globally, and BEFORE Jeep will be readily available for international sales.

[SARC] Yeah, no way they could increase this years sales by 80% in another 4 years once all the pieces of the puzzle are in place. Not at all. Because the Jeep brand doesnt carry the same level as cashe as MB and Audi.[/SARC]

No comment on the long term effect of these changes to the brand itself, just stating what most likely will happen in the next few years. The cards are on the table, and it will play out in Jeeps favor.

For Now.

13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

HA HA HA Optimist? I like you Norm ... but nothing you post indicates that...

[person who likes a particular brand] damn right.

God, Family, Country, Purdue, Indycar, and Mopar

Guilty

#33 TripleT, Oct 23, 2014
    AlfaCuda likes this.
  14. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Small presence in the #1 market in the world, where it vehicles are very popular ...... everyone needs to understand in that market Audi=Government, MB=Old Guys .... so while it doesn't have a better Cache in many parts of the World do not make the Assumption in the world largest market.

Do I think they can get thing lined out there by 2018.... maybe not but that should be the Goal.... all Goals SHOULD slightly unachievable ..... targets entirely different.

15. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

It's no mystery that Chrysler is significantly weighted toward trucks and it's certainly clear that the efforts on cars to date hasn't really changed that. We'll see if the efforts they ARE making pay off in the future. The fact that they are the number 1 seller of "trucks" in the US is a great accomplishment and it's increasing the sales there that's providing the funds to make investments in those cars we'd like to see. If they'd have focused primarily on cars first, they's probably not have the funds then need to continue the turnaround.

16. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

The thing about the goals is. Growth is progress. There is no need to be lofty.
    Most companies I know have a target growth for each year. They want to achieve it, but not necessarily exceed it, as excessively fast growth puts strain on the existing infrastructure of the company from top to bottom. It's one reason why companies that grow to quickly tend to collapse just quickly. In their haste to expand, they overlook things necessary to consistently deliver to their customers.

To me, it's not so much a question of IF Sergio can obtain the sales goal. It's a question of if achieving this goal will end up doing damage long term. I am speaking partially to the Jeep image he continues to compromise, but beyond that. There are lingering QC issues in need of attention. If Sergio forgoes worrying about them in his haste for expansion. He may well "explode" in these markets followed by mass issues and customer displeasure and follow by imploding after.

17. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

You are correct that it is possible to move Jeep into the top 15.....it is not reasonable to get there by 2018. By 2020? Maybe.

You are correct that Jeep is creating a greater global presence. But, they have some hurdles in those markets to overcome before they will gain the traction necessary to break into that top 15.

TripleT likes this.
  18. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

According to the most recent episode of Asia Biz Forecast from Japan's NHK network; Chinese car sales for 2014 will be fewer than they were for 2013. They gave several reasons, but Chinese sales will fall short of the 20 million car year.

Deutsche Welle (DW) TVs business news has had articles this week on how the declining Euro (against the dollar) the past few months has increased sales for manufacturers in the Eurozone. To me that implies the Renegade could be priced more competitively.

Sometimes the expectations of stockholders and customers seem, at least in the short run, to be mutually exclusive. If we are stockholders we expect return on investment to be at least a couple of percent more each year than inflation and the government bond rates. A few stockholders feel entitled to double-digit annual percentage both in dividends and increased stock value. As customers, most of us resist buying automobiles or anything else with high margins.

Like it or not fleet sales and durable, low-priced, easily-repairable vehicles for continents like Africa can be profitable but only with really good cost accounting and market comprehension. They also make for steadier employment for autoworkers.

How do you reconcile the expectations of customers, stockholders, and autoworkers? You can't disregard expectations of any of the three groups and stay in business for long.

19. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

20. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Comments by Bob and Norm are being looked at from a short term view.
    When they should be looked at from a long term perspective.

None of the FCA makes (not even Jeep) enjoys the "can do no wrong" consumer and media myth of a Honda or Toyota.
    They have such a long term reputation and image it allows them to re-create parts of themselves from time to time and have it be accepted.
    Less risk involved because missteps are forgiven.

FCA doesn't have that benefit at this time.
    It can grow sales short term by following trends, fads, popularity, etc but where does that lead and does it bring long term success?

In another thread Ralph speaks of a vehicles soul.
    What is Jeeps soul?
    Is chasing consumers the path to enlightenment or is it a false idol?

Erik Latranyi likes this.