AF: AN: Analysts dismiss Jeep’s 2018 sales goal | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Analysts dismiss Jeep’s 2018 sales goal

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

This is why Ralph is not going anywhere in this company.....he is out of alignment with management's objectives.

ScottB likes this.
  2. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

It takes years, even decades, to develop an image. Unfortunately for FCA, all of their brands sold in North America have an image of poor quality and/or unreliability. Chrysler having three different owners over the last 5 years hasn't helped them develop a clear direction either. It's amazing that the Chrysler portion of the company is enjoying such sales success given the generally poor reputation the company has. They've been doing a lot with a little for more years than we all care to remeber. If it weren't for a hot truck market and really interesting products from Jeep and Ram, this company would be sucking wind right now. They really have no choice but to chase sales, and hopefully profitable ones, in hot market segments if they want to have the money for future product development. While some may consider that selling out, I'm not sure they have many, if any, other choices. They've been in survival mode for a long, long time and are clearly not out of the woods. Somehow they're going to have to figure out how to exploit today's opportunities while building a positive image for the future and a product line-up, including cars, that people actually want and are good enough to make them loyal buyers. I'm not confident they have the right strategy, but time will tell.

RVC, DAGAR and TripleT like this.
  3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Being a good Technical manager, being a passionate Designer ...... doesn't mean that you are cut out to Operational Manager or Division Manager....... in fact Ralph himself may even want to pull back from the career path as job ration moves away from Creative and toward the day to day managerial BS.... he wouldn't be the first person to make that decision.... ;)

RVC likes this.
  4. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I think Ralph is an asset that Sergio hasn't figured out how to leverage well yet. I wouldn't be surprised that Ralph is a bit disillusioned at this point. I also wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement in the near future that a competitor picked him up.

tomit likes this.
  5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

As what, he is head of design and showed that he may not be cut out for being a manager.... I think a lot of Ralph but..... the fiscal and political portion of the Job may not favor him.... If I was him I would dig in to the creative part of the Job.... going somewhere else may mean career suicide.

6. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to repeat what I've said in other threads about why Jeeps will have a hard time making inroads into markets like Africa...
    Its all about the basics. The basics must be reliable, in that the electronics, wiring harnesses, connectors, relays, switches, starters, alternators, etc have to improve. When you open the hood of a modern Japanese vehicle (or even an old one) and a late model Jeep and you see the wiring coming out of split plastic conduits on the Jeep but neat clean installation on the Japanese vehicle what does that tell you?
    They (FCA) with regard to Jeep must move away from needless gimmicks (I don't need self adjusting wipers, self dimming headlights, moving pedals) and perfect the basics. The things that when they break make people say never again. I can give them a list...
    lug nuts without tin covers
    composite brake rotors that warped every 15K miles that were used on XJs, ZJs, TJs, only cure was to use aftermarket full cast iron rotors
    AC evaps and heater cores that last more than 7 years
    Window and lock actuators that do not break in 4 years
    Seat vinyl that does not crack in 4 years
    side windows that don't manage to scratch themselves (WK very common)
    Bolts used on suspension components that do not rust in 4 years and turn a shock absorber replacement into a nightmare
    and there are many more.

It used to be that Chrysler Corp was known to make very good basic vehicles. If you grew up in big bad NYC like I did in the early to late 60s, you'd know that about 80% of all NYC police cruisers and taxis were Mopars. Why, the engines and transmissions were the best out of the big 3 consistently. These vehicles were used on roads that were as bad as any in a 3rd world nation, and they took a beating. Then during the 70s they forgot about reliable basics. They gave us stalling Aspen/Volares, a new torsion bar suspension that seemed to go out of alignment by itself and instant rusting front fenders. Things improved a bit in the early 80s with the KCars but still they did things like rushing the 4 speed auto trans into production and alienated many many customers.

Sergio et al, if you don't know the past, you may be doomed to repeat it!!!

PS the most common vehicle you see in developing markets is the Toyota Hi Lux (Tacoma) there is a reason why this is so....basics are very good....no glitz...good basics....

#46 LouJC, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

I see people keep writing "Fiat bad" here, what's the deal with that? It seems to be a joke of sorts. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I don't get the reference...

8. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Goes back to my comment about the reputation and image that some automakers have.
    The last time Fiat sold things here (1970s) the reputation and image they earned wasn't a favorable one.

Past Negative lasts no matter how much you improve. People always remember.
    Past Positive cancels out recent negative. Modern Honda and Toyota aren't what they used to be. But people still remember (when they used to be better).

Because of that the use of anything that is generated, created, shared from the Fiat side for products in the US is viewed as ill conceived, risky, fraught with danger.
    Add to that the impression (which seems to be backed with some facts) that the American automobile market is not understood by Fiat.
    Hence "Fiat bad."

9. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

"analysts" don't run car companies. Those who teach - CAN'T.

"Nuff said.

10. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Past Negative lasts no matter how much you improve. People always remember.

Does that go for Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep? It's more complicated than "Fiat bad".

11. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

I take "FIAT BAD" to be more sarcasm intended to poke fun at those who seem to only see the negative in anything related to Fiat.

MoparDanno, RVC and TripleT like this.
  12. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Well that's you. Did you read sarcasm for the previous post?

13. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

ooops, I meant to reply to Lampredi's post asking about "FIAT BAD" I happen to agree with your assessment

14. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Analysts aren't teachers nor are they trying to be executives.
    BTW, your falsehood about what teachers can do is highly inaccurate and offensive.

james.mooney. likes this.
  15. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I actually think it's been written sarcastically by one poster primarily.

MoparDanno, TripleT and RVC like this.
  16. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Not sure if the World can handle a "Jeep" car...maybe a Jeep Meep Meep.
    But I think SM wants Jeep to be the Premier US division on the World scene, they need a Jeep Pickup (Gladiator) and a midsize pickup (Commanche), with stand alone designs ...using the Rams basis for the Large pickup, and a tie in with a Japanese company (Mitsi) for the smaller (Thailand) built "World" midsizer.
    Why not an offroad motorbike or Mountain bike as well? Buy a Jeep, get a bike.....
    They missed their chance with MV Augusta apparently, latest reports indicate that Merc Benz have their finger in that pie.

17. leo gali

leo gali Well-Known Member

thank you Lou, for putting the cards clearly on the table.

and it is for these reasons that news here in europe is, that FCA wants to build the Jeep Renegade and the Jeep Cherokee on the new assembly line in Melfi, Italy and in the brand new assembly plant in Pernambuco, Brazil to ensure WCM (World Class Manufacturing) Gold standards. Not bronze, not silver, no the WCM Gold medal needs to be awarded to the plants building Jeeps.

[​IMG]

here is Goiana, Pernambuco, Brazil:
    [​IMG]

in addition to the above 2 plants it is the intention to get the Jeep plant in China up and running also following WCM Gold standard.

so, with the numbers there and quality assured i do believe that the FCA management team (and not just Sergio) has listened to you LouJC.

the good news for achieving the WCM standards is that Brian Harlow a long time Chrysler engineer has been put in charge of WCM worldwide.

18. RVC

RVC Active Member

Forget about WCM, I was looking at some Cherokees and I couldn't help but cringe at the [mis]alignment of the doors and especially the piss-poor leather skins for the front seats. What the hell is wrong with Lear and why oh why do we accept that kind of crappy covers? The bottom bolsters in all three models were invariably either saggy or alreadys wrinkled...and the vehicles hadn't even been delivered yet.

Have to say that the door pulleys are also too plasticky in finish. I thought I would get used to the but they are very poor. It's too bad that it would appear that they are being spread to all models, like a disease.

Where Mr.Source in all this?

In any case, I suspect that producing in Europe has more to do with the fact that supply of US-made Cherokees is so limited that very few dealers are even getting the car. Forget about having the vehicle done to your specs, like Europeans expect, you might be waiting well into the following year.
    Localized production might ease some of that.

19. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Ha, the way they get car in the EU is so different, can you imagine US people (hell me) waiting so long for a vehicle after the purchase decision?

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Then you're not reading carefully enough.
    Digest what is said, don't anticipate what you think is being said..... :cool: