AF: AN: Baby Jeep Rendering - Renegade? Engines? Date? More... | Page 27 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Baby Jeep Rendering - Renegade? Engines? Date? More...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Feb 7, 2014.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

2. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Also maybe a little bit of Fiat Qubo side view. [​IMG]
    Very early mules, remember were hacked up Qubo/Fiorinos
    (which is SCSS based)

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The materials reference a two speed thingie hooked up to PTU.
    Nine speed is 928TE so yes, made in Indiana.
    No manual AWD, period. No 4x4, either.
    US 1.4 is made in Dundee or Trenton. All other 1.4s made in Italy.
    2.4 made in Trenton and Dundee, maybe just Dundee, I'm not sure.

Trenton is actually two plants next to each other.
    Mack Avenue will be pressed into service fairly soon, too, building engine parts and engines. Not sure which ones.

I would expect 1.4 production to eventually be centralized in Italy but am not sure if that will happen, GEMA remains underused and Chrysler keeps adding engine/component capacity including re-insourcing from Mexico, China, and domestic contractors.

For all the talk about Sergio being nothing more than an accountant, he is NOT just doing beancounter work with Chrysler. He is centralizing production under Chrysler control, adding many expensive union jobs where before they used cheap Mexican and Chinese contractors, and he is trying to bring in skills and capabilities that are now more fashionable to buy elsewhere. He has been preserving and/or adding expensive jobs though I would argue he's been a bit cheap with the engineers’ pay (that is, preferring fresh people to experienced people, presumably because they're a lot, lot cheaper), because I think he recognizes that there are things the company needs to control better. And if you look at where most of the investment has been since he took over, it's been in the “200 miles of Detroit” region.

I will bet that his announcement in two days involves Windsor making new minivans in March 2015.

freshforged likes this.
  4. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

With all the talk about the "new small-wide 4x4 architecture" the Qubo/Fiorino replacements will be Jeep based. I wonder if we'll see a ram city-truck itteration. Photoshoppers?

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Plants and Renegade specifications (preliminary) can be found here:
    http://www.jeeppress-europe.com/press/detail/118023

6. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Also the reason I won't consider one when we start looking , have never been able to get around that front end on the cherokee . There are others that are way better. I have seen very few Cherokees around here so far. I saw maybe 1 or 2 on a trip from NY to florida and back.

7. JayhawkOne

JayhawkOne Well-Known Member

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

We have all the same info here on Allpar ... in different format.

AWD is optional on all trim levels.

AWD with low gear and skid plates, Trailhawk exclusive.

HOWEVER, most powertrain combos are FWD only.

Rock mode, Trailhawk only.

9. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I saw a bunch in Florida last week.

There are a few sprouting up around here too.

10. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Per Bob, it has to have a locked 50/50 split to the front and rear axles to be 4 wheel drive.
    Just because Jeep marketing is stretching the truth doesn't change the engineering definition.

As to earlier questions in regards to practicality and utility. You can put a bigger cube shaped item inside a cubed shaped space than you can if the space has one side reduced by a sloping rear roof.

In regards to Scout looks. When the refreshed XJ came out in 97 the base models with the black plastic grill looked kind of Scout like to me.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I've seen as many Cherokees as Darts in the last two years.

Per Bob, it has to have a locked 50/50 split to the front and rear axles to be 4 wheel drive.
    Just because Jeep marketing is stretching the truth doesn't change the engineering definition.”

Which is why I replaced “4x2” (really?) with FWD and 4x4 with AWD throughout our materials.

Don't blame Jeep marketing so much as the industry as a whole. Nearly everyone does it.

12. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

And throw in the "Wrangler-esque" style tail lights.

As Duckie said.....this little guy could be another PT Cruiser phenomenon (at least when the PT first came out before it was neglected)

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Equating the Renegade to the PT is a bit premature and not really giving the PT credit for its attributes. The ease from which you could get in and out of the PT, plus load the trunk made the PT so useful to so many people. The great styling was icing on the cake. Again, I think the Renegade is "cute" and will sell well, but if the market was really clamoring for that size vehicle, then I'd think we'd see more 500L sales. Plus the Renegade has some cute-ute competition from the Juke and others already so it needs to play a bit of catch up. We'll see.

I wonder if the positive response to the Renegades styling will give more credence for a restyle of the Cherokee. It is definitely the black sheep when parked with its siblings.

14. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

There is a 4WD lock button, this may possibly force a 50/50 split, thus giving a true 4x4 mode (like the Patriot has) in addition to the various AWD modes.

JayhawkOne and redriderbob like this.
  15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

Omaha Orange looks good... would like to see it in Solar Yellow.

jclick likes this.
  16. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

Lol, then it would really look like a Minion...

[​IMG]

finc.jb, UN4GTBL and MJAB like this.
  17. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

So just to clarify the ony 4wd model is the trailhawk ? (meaning you can shoose a low gear). Everything else is either FWD or AWD (high gear only)?

18. proun91

proun91 New Member

I'm 6'4 and the PT was the easiest car I've ever tried to extricate my ambling frame out of :) best rental car I've ever had. I've looked at them many times but am worried about the reliability of a decent used one.

Lovin' the looks of the Renegade as well. Would make more sense as a Jeepster …

I also hope that this leads to a new face for the Cherokee!

19. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Oh I agree.
    I was just referring to all the 'hype' the PT created when it first came out.....and deservedly so.