AF: AN: Baby Jeep Rendering - Renegade? Engines? Date? More... | Page 56 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Baby Jeep Rendering - Renegade? Engines? Date? More...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

LOL!
    Good ear! That is the best tone I have heard from the V6 and one of the things I tried to replicate. ;)

suzq044 likes this.
  2. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Measure the length of the 200 pipes, replace the silencer with the one from the 200, the resonator from the 200, and keep the bends of the same radius and distance from the entry.

....oh yeah, change the cats also.

;)

(BTW, it ain't gonna fit-any of it. There is a reason the Jeep sounds like it does.)

suzq044 likes this.
  3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Not sure CA will,let me touch the Cats, so I haven't gone there yet.
    And...yeah I know the reason, just trying to mask it...without messing up the tuning...LOL!
    So far all that has been accomplished is changing volume, very little change in tone.
    I started with Banks, then Borla as two "engineered" and dyno'd kits. Fair results, but not the tone I wanted.
    I'm pretty sure I need two more cylinders to do that... :cool:

4. TheMan

Level III Supporter

The point is the silencers affect the tone more than anything else-that consists of the cats (illegal to change to the 200 components), the silencer (wont fit without hack'n whack), and the resonator (again, no joy). The guts of all these parts affect the tone.

Years of design and calculation go into these designs from the OEMs. Think of this as the same effort Jim and I put into just tuning the suspension. There arent any shortcuts.

....and it aint cheap.

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Ha! Yeah, not cheap and time consuming, but interesting and fun.
    My original purpose was to remove the humongous stock muffler from it's meeting with impending doom, as it hangs precariously low in the "I'm just waiting to be smashed", location.
    After hitting it three times in two trips, I started changing items. When the solutions from the best companies in the aftermarket, proved to be less than optimum, I started on my hack n whack quest. :cool:
    Wish I had started with a decibel meter however, as I didn't anticipate how involved it was going to be, to get it "right".
    Another part of the equation is that nearly all of my experiments have resulted in most folks saying, "that sounds great!", maybe, but not to me....still trying to capture that Hemi/ Poly staccato, of my youth.
    Funny thing, on downshifts I captured it, as it "gurgles" just right, it's the annoying V6 kazoo sound under acceleration that I just can't kill.

6. TheMan

Level III Supporter

A decibel meter doesnt measure frequency or amplitude. That is your fail point.

7. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, a V6 is never ever going to sound anything like a V8, ever. Trying to put mufflers and silencers intended primarily for V8s on it, or trying to make it sound like a V8 is just going to make it sound bad and unpleasing.

I believe that rattle "Kazoo" sound typically comes from the metal in after-market mufflers hitting a resonance frequency. Obviously the OEM muffler will be designed to not have that happen. You might be able to take some of the edge off that sound with a resonator of some kind.

RVC likes this.
  8. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

You could probably make a flat-opposed six sound like three synchronized Harleys but who wants to mess with a Subaru? I say that only after hearing old VWs and Porsches that sounded like two or three synchronized Harleys.

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Oh, I know, it's not like I have an anechoic chamber to play in... :cool:
    That's why there is so much trial and error, or in this case, error...;)

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Oh, I'm aware of that, I'm just trying to stumble onto something that works.
    And for the record, V6's sound like kazoos with the OEM muffler too. The only good tone I've heard in 30 years of V6's is the new 200, or full on headers.
    The parts I am using, aren't intended for V8's they are tuned for this motor, by the same people who supply OEM parts.
    Granted, we both know that OEM parts have different design criterial, don't need to go there or assume stupidity on the part of others.
    I'm just having fun trying to discover something that works and improves performance and mpg while improving sound, which is in the ear of the beholder.
    Taking these components apart has been interesting, to note things like directional and non-directional resonators and mufflers have near zero difference in impact, to the point of installing them backwards and finding zero change in sound or noise levels.

11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Well, can you place one resonator fore and another aft the Cat?

That might lower the tone, but not sure if the decibel level and the near-field sound from the driver's seat would fool your ear about the tailpipe sound ... know what I mean? The staccato aspect would be the transients that should mix with the lower-end tones. But if the original exhaust note isn't there, there is no way to pump or 'EQ' low-end into the mix and that stacatto then comes across closer to a rasp or even a buzz . The lower tone has to be resonated from a favorable original sound. That's a bunch more hacking, though.

You actually might need a Jake-Brake :D

MoparNorm likes this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Actually, after resonator, when straight through, the sound is about the same, pre or post muffler.
    It's just the characteristics of a V6. I'm trying to fool the air into thinking it's bigger and lower....:cool:
    If it's too free flowing, there is a loss of low end back pressure and it messes up the scavenging.

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

15. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Right ... I erased a synthesizer-related post earlier on. You'll need exterior speakers to fit under chassis and a reasonable amplifier. Sampled sound in random-length loops ... you're there. The only thing is to tie the sound and volume to the tachometer and ignition switch ... Easy-peasy.

You'd be able to "punch-in" Diesel sound, NHRA Top-Fuel Rail sound, 1957 AMC Metropolitan sound, Mazda RX-7 sound, Inline 6-cylinder sound, F-18 take-off sound - your control it :)

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

LOL! I've been tempted, but it's actually pretty good right now, just need to replicate the sound and eliminate the drone,...which only manifested itself after about 5,000 miles on the muffler.
    I've even considered running three resonators in line and eliminating the muffler.....:cool:

17. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

just run open header, and voila. [jk]

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Nah, I'm running the headers through a tuba...

suzq044 likes this.
  19. fargo59

fargo59 Well-Known Member

well, it does resemble one...

[​IMG]

suzq044 likes this.
  20. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Note those bends are smooth mandrel bent, constant radius. It is important not to disrupt the flow- you have too much offset to cut that out without kinking.....or reducing the bend radius.