AF: AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Allpar News System

Allpar News System Automated System

[​IMG]
    Some readers may wonder why the Ram ProMaster looks like it does, instead of, well, something like the rendering above. Why, in short, does it look like a Fiat with a single changed body panel, when so many internal modifications have been made? (Much higher capacity, Chrysler engine and transmission, meeting Federal rules, UConnect instead of Blue & Me, and provision for rougher roads with winter salt, at the least.) There are practical reasons why the van shown above was not produced. According to Ram’s announcement today, the headlights are up-and-back to prevent damage to the expensive assemblies during minor collisions. To ease servicing costs, the front fascia is in three separate parts, so if one is damaged, it can be replaced more easily; presumably, accessing some components within the van is also eased. Almost missed in the lengthy list of specifications was an oil change interval of up..

View the original, full post

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

[sarc]That's just corporate talk and excuses.[/sarc]

:censored: :notroll: :frusty:

ProMaster for the win, yo! :1st:

LeeRyder likes this.
  3. dakotasport94

dakotasport94 Member

I think in my opinion the "ProMaster " needs a bigger engine. not saying the 3.6 cant do the job...but for it to be able to be a 3500 motor home conversion its going to need at least a small V8. heck just put the 5.7 Hemi in it.

I also thing when the thing is out for a few months someone will make a conversion to a bigger engine.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The 3.6 is a stretch, did you see the engines Fiat uses in the Ducato!?!

I don't think they intend for this to ever become a motor home conversion, at least not in the size you're thinking of. I think they still plan to bring the Daily over -- but that one is supposedly going to get much more modification.

I think the Ram people intend to clobber Mercedes with the Daily. I also think they won't have the chance because Nissan and Ford will have done a 1-2 punch first.

5. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

I just want to bring up one thing does anybody remember the pic ram released at the construction site with the two vans under the sheets. The one on the left is obviously the Ducato but the one on the right is bigger and has a very different forward leaning nose.

6. dakotasport94

dakotasport94 Member

Same with a raised roof???

7. Mike V.

+1

Mike

8. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Nope if it had the same front clip id agree but the front is different id say its a different van. If Chrysler Fiat wouldnt spend the coin to fix the Ducato front clip in the base version then why would they do it in the high roof version.

9. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

What front wheel drive transmission does Chrysler have that's capable of supporting a V8? That engine bay was originally designed for small inline engines. Getting the 60* V6 in there was probably already a challenge, and I doubt a super-wide 90* V8 would fit in there.

10. Mike V.

+1

11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

In the war of who's square box looks better, it doesn't lose. Nissan is far uglier even though a bigger vehicle. Looks fine for its purpose. Keep the headlamps away from all the daily :D action is a good idea.

12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Hope the headlights shine over my roof.

13. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

well.. for those of us who never thought the Caliber could be outdone in the ugly dept... Meet the ProMaster..

Christopher likes this.
  14. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Or if you think the Pro master is ugly just look at the 14 Tundra I swear it looks like they took a 2013 and drove it strait into a wall and said yep that's good enough. I promise after seeing that I won't complain about the Ducato/Pro masters looks anymore :lol:

15. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

The 3.0 EcoDiesel oil change interval is up to 18500 miles, with the DEF good up to nearly 4000 miles.

The 3.6 Pentastar oil change interval is up to 10000 miles.

Those notches on the left and right corners of the front fascia? Built-in steps, like the ones found on the new GM pickup truck's rear bumper.

16. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

And then copied the Ford F-series interior

17. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

I seriously doubt the HEMI would even fit. Images are forthcoming, but even the 3.0L EcoDiesel pretty much fills the engine bay. Some of you guys might going to lose your stuff and wonder just how you're going to service these things yourself.

Something Fred Diaz mentioned during the reveal - in Europe, the most popular RV chassis is the Fiat Ducato.
    Maybe they can fit that Olds Toronado Dodge Rampage Concept transaxle in there... ;)

18. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg Well-Known Member

We "camped" at Greenbelt NPS outside DC last year and saw a Ducato-based RV (a Dethleffs, IIRC) that some Europeans shipped over as part of their tour across America.

19. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Why is the V6 OK in a Ram pickup, but not the van which is about the same weight? I would also like to know what changes were made to the 62TE for the van.

If I can afford it and can one get equipped for transporting disabled adults, I will buy a Promaster. Looks are not as important as that 21" load floor height. I like that Ram is offering the Pentastar V6 with 6 speed auto on this van. I hire PCAs based on their skills, abilities, and compassion for dealing with the handicapped. I don't need to add truck driving to that list.

20. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch the ProMaster will be eclipsed fairly quickly by the Ram version of the Iveco Daily.