AF: AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 7, 2013.

1. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

Funny, that's what I thought Ford did when they released the first-generation F-series Super Duty... Looked like they made a mold of a Dodge Ram and crashed an F150 into it...

In that respect this van will be fine for city use, and I see a lot more company service vans in the city than out on the open highway.

We used to be fine with very small, very low-powered engines compared to today's standards. In 1980 the 3/4 ton Dodge truck could still be purchased with a 1bbl slant six. The '82 D350 crew cab I have came standard with a 4bbl 318. We're not talking powerhouses, the Pentastar is probably more powerful than 2bbl 360 was in my Cordoba when it was new.

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

It's really not that bad... It could always be worse.

Mike

3. Longtimejeep

Longtimejeep Well-Known Member

C'mon folks, it's a work van. As long as it's the most efficient & practical it will sell.

4. Mike V.

Ultimately, I agree.

5. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone here remember the original minivan w/a small displacement 4? The 3.6 is putting out nearly 300 hp, which is far higher than V-8s of 10-12 years ago!
    People need to stop obsessing over a big V-8 powertrain, they are going the way of the dinosaur with new fuel regs coming.

As well, the 3.0 diesel is a better choice for RV conversion anyways, with it's better torque.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Sorry to be clueless, but I've been in the desert for 8 days, away from Internet service for much of that time, so...WHERE is the vehicle pics and data of the van being talked about in this thread?
    I only see Jack's rendering, not the finished Fiat product.
    Link please?
    Thank you.

7. Mike V.

Just like 0-60 in over 8 seconds is now considered dangerous, we have become spoiled.

No one seems to remember that 130hp 318 dodge vans did perfectly fine. Many Ram vans were sold with the 3.9 V6 that had a whopping 180hp and 195 lb-ft of torque.

Mike

8. RVC

RVC Active Member

Anybody knows who are those "extremely large commercial fleet operators" that according to Diaz have been testing this van and have given "extremely positive feedback"?
    All the PR-BS aside, It'd be interesting to know who they are (curious nobody has spotted one though).

9. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html

10. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Ok so after digesting the Promaster a little more I will have to say that yes the front isnt the most attractive but I have to agree that doest matter its a work van after all. The rest of the van is actually kinda good looking and the FWD might actually be better in inclimate weather and it does allow that very low load floor so in the long run its not that bad. We have to remember this isnt a true Sprinter replacement thats what the Daily is for. As far as the Transit this is only competition for the FWD version of the Transit which wont be sold here. The US Transit will be the beefier RWD version again what the Daily will compete with. Depending on how they price this thing it could be a real bargain and very usable at that.

Edit: After thinking about it I came up with a good use for this van by non commercial types like me. Im moving to Savannah soon and I could turn one of these into a great Race/Tailgating van. With the 17 tie down hooks I could load my motorcycle, cooler, grill, camping gear ect and hit Daytona, Sebring, Austin F1, SBK races and the Swamp (Gators fan) hmmm Ram you have my interest piqued!

11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Thanks Doug. I saw that and was hoping it was a mistake.
    No amount of PR spin can save our eyesight from that.
    Just corner cutting to save costs and use as many Fiat parts as possible, won't result in sales.

12. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

When your product is unproven and untested in the marketplace, you need good looks.
    When part of the market is RV'ers, looks are important, you can't pull into a campground looking like that. ;)

13. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

I dont know ive seen some pretty stupid RV's but then again im on the east coast and RV'ing out west is a whole different story.

14. tr4petty

tr4petty Active Member

For those of you that have seen some of my rants, you know I'm not afraid to criticize Ma Mopar, but I actually LIKE the looks of the ProMaster Van! I think it's much more handsome than the Sprinter. I also like the interior more than the Sprinter's. I think this Van will be very popular in the business world, especially with the 3.0L diesel engine. The C-Class RV manufacturers are already drooling over this platform, I bet!

15. Giorgio15

Giorgio15 New Member

I have a 2007
    short wheel base low roof Ducato with the 2.3 TD engine at 120HP,that can
    legally carry 1,543Kg and I know it can cope with 2,000Kg quite well. From new
    it has averaged 34 miles per imperial gallon. On the highway it gets to 38
    miles if you stay below 60 miles an hour. In Germany with 1,000 Kg load I have cruised
    at 105 miles an hour with no problem and got 28 miles to the Imperial gallon. I am very happy with it.
    It drives and feels like a car and the manual six speed gearbox is perfect. It is extremely comfortable;
    in it you seat at least a foot higher than the other vans making visibility very good.
    I find very difficult to understand some of the comments here, because the reasons I have
    bought this van is that it is the most practical there is, I think it is also the best looking we have in Europe.
    But the most important thing is that it is front wheel drive and I can use it in winter.
    Has any of you driven an empty rear will drive van on ice or snow?
    My take is that you do not have commercial vans in NA and do not understand the vehicle.
    Now can any of you tell me which NA van is nicer or if you prefer less ugly than the ProMaster?
    The van is certainly not new to the global market having sold some 2 million units so far but the NA market
    is certainly new to the van as conceived in Europe.
    What I do not understand is why we have so many negative comments about it on a pro Mopar site.
    Surely we should be promoting thevehicle.
    I am certain it will be a great success and once you get used to it some of you will even think it looks nice
    like I do. Please support the ProMaster it is a very good van and it deserves a chance.

16. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Mostly what you are hearing here is initial reaction to an untried product by a lot of people who will never purchase anything in this market. I predict this vehicle will do extremely well in this market, particularly with the powertrains and body configurations offered.
    Many of us have missed a good commercial vehicle since Chrysler ( and I dis-include the Sprinter due to it's ridiculous prices ) left that business and will happily take a chance on this one. This is exactly the type of vehicle I need for my business, and if the price is right, I will be seriously shopping for one. I would much prefer a FWD, low floor vehicle, especially in a climate that gets 6 months of winter a year!

17. jazz77

jazz77 Member

I agree with you but I can't say it looks good, honestly I find both Ducato and Promaster pretty ugly . The previous generation looked much better in my opinion, it seems there's more influence from PSA styling cues in the current one.

18. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

As noted before, 2 out of every 3 RVs in Europe are Fiat Ducato-based.

The front seating is interesting - the floor is low, the seats are high, and the view out the front window is very expansive.

I saw the steering wheel could telescope, but didn't find a tilt-adjustment, which made the driving position very "bus-like." I may have simply missed it.

19. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

Looking at the Promaster under New Features I noticed the gear ratios given for the 62 transmission are diferent than what they were a few years back; when did they make those changes to the gear ratios? The step from from 3rd to 4th is quite a gap. (Maybe no more than the original 62, but still more than what most automatic transmissions are.

20. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Specific changes were made to the 62TE for use in the ProMaster - I believe gear ratios were among them.