AF: AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Don't be so quick to judge, or think we don't understand.
    ...and yes, it's still ugly, on purpose to save money. However if they don't sell enough to keep from embarrassing Marchionne, they will quickly give it a much deserved facelift.

[​IMG]

2. jazz77

jazz77 Member

It's also the most sold van in Russia and Brazil. Ah and it is also sold in Mexico, I wonder if they will keep the Brazilian soucedDucato competing with the Promaster.

3. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Well-Known Member

Your posts go from have not seen it, been out in the desert, to it's ugly and due to cost constraints they left it that way, to RV'ers wont like it because they cannot drive into an RV park in a vehicle that looks like that. All based on a picture. Then a person who has owned and used the vehicle lays out how functional the vehicle is and how he cannot understand people who pan the vehicle without even using it or seeing it in person and you tell him don't be so quick to judge?

The Wrangler and the beloved XJ's everyone around here seems to love are not the most pleasing vehicle to look at but they sold many of each. Why? Because they were/are functional. But when it comes to commercial vans they have to be functional and attractive? OK,now let me know how I misunderstand it all.

4. jazz77

jazz77 Member

Yes but remember that the Daily should be sourced from Fiat Industrial which is a separate company with no ownership ties with Chrysler. Although the majority stakeholder is the same I believe it takes more time to set up the agreement with Fiat Industrial (that's why it seems to be due 2016).

5. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

This confirms what I suspected all along; they can change those gear ratios when they want to, without breaking the bank.

6. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The current Ducato debuted in 2006. It's coming due for a refresh or redo within the next 2-3 years. And, in my opinion, it will be THEN that efforts to de-uglify the front fascia will be done.

I'll also predict that the various changes that were made for the ProMaster (the beefed up chassis, possibly the Pentastar drivetrain - as it is ethanol-compatible - and such) will end up finding their way into the next-generation Ducato as well.

I will also predict that the fascia's between the ProMaster and the Ducato will remain more-or-less limited to a different modular grille insert. Just as the only major difference between a Mercedes, Freightliner, and Dodge Sprinter were the grille and the badges (and later, the hood.)

I wouldn't say that - but I would say that they can change the gear ratios when the program requirements dictate that they be changed. And also that the 62TE will likely remain in product for a while, even after the 9-speed automatic arrives.

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Maybe you do understand and I didn't write clearly enough?

I did not say I have not seen it, I said I did not see the POST discussing the photograph.

I have owned Commercial vans, I have owned fleets of commercial vans and, as I clearly stated, while cost to operate is the prime reason for a businessman to purchase, we do like to see something pleasing, to represent our company.
    RV owners make many decisions based upon the "cool" looks factor.
    I'd also contend that what Europeans accept as "looks" is far different from what Americans accept.
    Some designs transcend regional tastes, this one...doesn't.
    As Strat has so aptly pointed out, perhaps a refresh is coming, however now seemed like the more opportune time to kill two ugly birds with one redesign stone.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Given the cost of the nine-speed, I would expect the six-speed to be like a four-speed is now -- an economy choice.

9. jazz77

jazz77 Member

I'd say this design does transcend regional tastes since I'm pretty sure most Europeans find it ugly. The E-series design is a better example, looks "normal" in the US and ugly in Europe.

10. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Although looks are less important (to me) in a work van, I went back to the photo's after reading Norm's comments. I must say that I kind of like the look of it, mostly because of its slightly funky weirdness.

The headlight placement is superb, especially to protect against rock and bad driver damage, and if they can throw some paint on that BIG BLACK BUMPER, it would minimize the bulldog look considerably.

Maybe they will offer some Moparising accessories for clients to customize the looks, allowing you to individualize it somewhat. More body color paint on that snout would help a lot. IMO.

11. RVC

RVC Active Member

Probably a NAFTA only mod, nobody in Europe/LatAm would buy this with a gasoline V6 in it. Diesel is the engine of choice, and this is already excessive for those markets. The 2.3L is the most popular IIRC.
    Same for the heaver gauge steel used for the chassis, not needed elsewhere and no reason to add cost and weight if the market doesn't want those features.

Though I personally don't like the shape of the headlights, I have to say that it's generally American cars that are deemed ugly around the globe whereas European style is far more welcome.
    However, maybe it's also a generational thing and things are changing in that direction; look at GM with the Korean Cruze and German Opel clones, look at Ford that is pillaging everything it can from its European line and bringing it to the US...maybe the younger generations simply prefer a new visual language, and European style intercepts this trend better. Who knows.

12. jazz77

jazz77 Member

I don't know, I mean now the Ducato/Promaster is becoming an example of European style, I'm not sure about that...strangely enough to me it could actually look Asian.

13. RVC

RVC Active Member

As compared to a traditional US Van, yes it is.
    Asian brands tend to mimic American style when they launch a new vehicle here.

14. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I would take the Promaster over the E-series in a heartbeat. You want ugly? Try crossing Kansas with high crosswinds in a Ford E-series. With that twin I-beam suspension and sloppy steering, it was like piloting a sailboat. The ugly Duc-thing Promaster will make a great camper. The E-350 camper van I drove spent a lot of time just sitting and then logging a lot of miles just to sit again. The Pentastar V6 will be enough for that level of service.

The black rubber baby buggy bumper, as stated in the news, is three pieces which are easily replaceable. It won't be that hard for the aftermarket to offer something to replace original equipment for consumer oriented camper conversions.

The Pentastar V6 could be converted to bi-fuel (gasoline-natural gas) like they did for the Hemi pickup trucks. It is modeled after a European Fiat option. A popular option in Brazil is the tetra-fuel option. I wouldn't be surprised if the lower powered diesels offered in Latam will use the 62TE auto as an option.

15. SheltonBreeden

I think the Sprinter is slightly better looking but saying that is like picking Rosie O'Donnel over Roseanne Barrr.
    I use Sprinters a lot. They are great for hauling tons of stuff and are much easier to load, drive, and park than an econoline. If the new Dodges can do that for less money, I'm sure they will find customers.

16. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

If we are talking the latest Ford Econoline vans, I'll beg to differ - they are (IMHO) ugly in the US, too. ;)

Agreed on the chassis - that's simply means that you now have the ability to offer an "HD" Ducato in the next generation in markets that it may play in.

My point on the Pentastar was the ethanol capability, in markets where it's more popular - like Brazil.

17. Marauder_Pilot

Marauder_Pilot Well-Known Member

I actually really like the new Econoline looks. But if I were in the market for a full-size van, looks would be exactly at the bottom of my list.

For those who haven't driven work vans before, full-size or not, that easily-replaceable bumper thing is a big deal. Combine a lot of people who aren't specially trained, professional drivers and a lot of hours in tight, stop-and-go traffic, and bumpers don't last long.

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Neither do the drivers who repeatly bend them... ;)

19. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

:lol:

20. Marauder_Pilot

Marauder_Pilot Well-Known Member

I dunno, I know all the drivers working locally for FedEx and Purolator, and they have all beat the everloving tar out of their E-Series and Savannah delivery vans, but are still very gainfully employed.

Granted, it's not like they're getting into major accidents or anything. People back into them all the time when they're parked in loading zones, but they also bump into cement pylons and loading bays, scrape against curbs, have all kinds of rocks kicked up at them by other cars...it all adds up quickly, the bumpers on those trucks look like target practice.