AF: AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Behind ProMaster’s looks

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Funny, I was going to use UPS as an example of well trained drivers that don't beat up their equipment. I have three UPS drivers, who cover my deliveries. Their trucks are in excellent shape, as are their bumpers.
    Regardless, it was a joke and further dissection was not required. ;)

2. ShanePerrone

ShanePerrone Member

Hence why a plastic one for a Chevy Express goes for like 80 bucks online. I'd take ugly for 80 bucks more than some bumper jobs requiring a full matching repaint sometimes... not that I've had to do that, but a family member lost the front of a Caliber and we all wish it was an 80 dollar fix.

3. RVC

RVC Active Member

AFAIK the most popular Ducato in Brazil is sold with the 2.3L TD MJ good for 127hp...as another poster said it's the best seller of the category there too, and IIRC it's ready to receive the new model this year (brew model I mean basically the same you see here, in Brazil they still had the old Ducato).
    Patfromhigh probably has more data on that, he seems to be well informed about commercial vans and brazil.

4. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

WHAAAT?! Is that a tacit admission that the European Fiat Ducato does not have adequate rust proofing? Doesn't Fiat realize that Northern Europe, like so many other places in the world, has not seen the slightest trace of this alleged global warming that people keep talking about, but instead have to struggle through winters that feel like they last 18 months a year, and with copious amounts of winter salt being used on the roads even in Europe causing lots of damage to vehicles.

5. RVC

RVC Active Member

Pretty sure Europe has the same cold weather issues the US has. Naples sits at the same latitude as New York! Anywhere from Florence to Scotland you'll find salt 5-6 months out of the year.
    They probably applied a thicker spray-on rubber to protect from rocks when driving on unpaved roads, which is fairly common in the US, but overall less common in Europe.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

We should also remember that Ford equipped the Econoline at one time, with the 7.3 IH diesel.
    Some commercial users will overload and abuse this thing if Daily is too slow to market.
    Yes the Pentastar is powerful enough if one looks solely at HP, but torque moves cargo and most V6 gassers are short on torque at useable rpm's. Those Slant Sixes and 318's were tuned for gobs of torque at low and mid range.
    Many UPS and FedEx vans are operating in remote rural America with small diesels and vast stretches of interstate and rural hiways. I've seen many on US 160 in Northern AZ. While MPG is important, so is making the rounds on time. The drivers costs more than fuel. ;)

7. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

From what I see the present Fiat engine makes more power than the original one offered in the Sprinter. My friend has a first gen Dodge Sprinter motor home with 130,000 miles on it and claims over 25 MPG! He has been to every state except Hawaii and survived the roads in Western Canada. Hopefully the current chassis is sufficient to give similar performance. Don't like the 4000 mile urea interval, should be at least as long as the oil change program. It will be interesting to see what the pentastar does.

8. ShanePerrone

ShanePerrone Member

Granted I'm just delivering pizzas at the moment (been applying to medical schools, but graduated in the fall), and the sheer amount of low speed crawling I do from either back roads, gravel roads, rutty roads, unmarked houses and have to turn around, drunk people that don't know the color of their own house etc etc is enormous. Most of the time I think a diesel would likely fit the bill in terms of holding speed on these steep hills that only need to be climbed at 10 miles an hour in the dark. I just make use of the automatic gear selection, but it is thirty to stay in such a low gear at high rpm all the time. I'm doing temp work in another area while they regroup new drivers and much prefer the main one I work at. The furthest is 5 miles of easy interstate that is flat or generally 0.5-2 miles of around town, versus 8 or so of hills, or 5 miles of rutty roads.

Although with the hills and such, a hybrid would likely help as well with the start/stop at the redlights... although most picks might be a better choice than a minivan; but the sliding doors make life easier in the rural areas without a driveway and you literally on just sitting there on the edge of the road while you send the pizza up to a home.

The Sprinter, even the really underpowered first diesel available eventually got up whatever hill with the torque, even if it had to do it at the limit or slightly under. I'm sure fleet owners much preferred the extra time to 60 mph since it lost seconds versus dollars of extra fuel.

Slamming a giant diesel into a van creates the case with the GM twins duramax. Its too large so it has to be detuned to barely fit (and work on it requires almost taking the whole front and everything apart around it) and costs over 10,000 for a detuned engine. Even detuned it doesn't give that fantastic of mpg, and likely the power isn't used fully and goes to waste.

9. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

The original Sprinter passenger bus gave my 2008 5.3L Ford pick up a hard time at a traffic light on an empty airport road. I thought I could pass it to make a right turn, that didn't happen. Took some of the boredom out of a 3 AM drive home. The turbo charged Sprinter diesel does just fine at altitude up hill in Colorado while gassers suffer. As far as looks of the Fiat offering only the headlight is off just a tad, like most European vehicles, otherwise the rest of the body is pleasing.