AF: AN: Cherokee back in limbo | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Cherokee back in limbo

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by unclejjg, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

You can say that again, Pilgrim!

2. tryphon

tryphon Well-Known Member

Maybe they are stored in Monument Valley ;)

3. unclejjg

unclejjg Member

Isn't it weird? No problems with Wrangler, Liberty, MK or GC role out......then Fiat comes along and....well...Dart...Cherokee.....geesh.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Oh geeze! And we were getting along so well lately! ;)
    Can we agree upon the following?:
    Chrysler's engineering staff was decimated by Daimler and Nardelli.
    Chrysler has many new hires AND Italian Fiat Engineers working side by side, not only here and in Italy, but now in India.
    Fiat Engineers are likely less familiar with dealing with federal regulators.
    All Engineers are working to parameters set by management AND have supervisors, regardless of the nation of origin.
    These managers are ultimately responsible, regardless of where they reside.
    Lastly;
    This is temporary.

djsamuel likes this.
  5. unclejjg

unclejjg Member

I hope regarding Jeep it is ultimately and very temporary.

6. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

I know where your coming from and if blunders keep happening thats one thing.

7. tryphon

Norm, I am actually in agreement with you, when you say that the new Jeep engineers do not have the experience of the old designers who were let go by Daimler, Cerberus and FIAT. Maybe FIAT should tap on their knowledge and avoid the pitfalls of the recent Dart and Cherokee introduction. In any event, in today's world, top management will pick the best engineers (and managers) from wherever they come, be it Germany, Italy, the USA or India, based mainly on past performance. It is a global job market, as you well know. In the same way, the poor performers will be let go.

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I agree.
    My point was that no nation has a monopoly on engineering talent and the task of turning cars into Jeeps was perhaps taken too lightly during the management decision to do so.

9. tryphon

I agree with you on that! With two screw-ups facing him, Marchionne is bound to look for a culprit. I would. (and he is not going to blame himself, be assured).

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Then it is indeed time for that bottle of wine... ;)

11. tryphon

My treat​

My treat! ;)

12. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Ill bring the cheese :lol:

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

First bottle on you, second one on me!

14. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Well said.

15. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Come talk to us Wrangler owners that have been getting Pentastar heads replaced by the bushel.

16. unclejjg

unclejjg Member

I didn't say there were no problems. I said there were no problems with the role out. Timing....delays....months.

17. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Wrangler, Liberty, MK, and GC were already in play. The 5-speed was pretty much proven by the time it got to Wrangler and GC, ditto for the 8-speed in the GC. Yes, there is the Pentastar issue with Wrangler. (With the word that Pentastar only uses two heads - one for Ram/Wrangler and one for everything else - has anyone else heard of head replacements being needed on Ram trucks? :huh:)

KL got a new transaxle that no other car in the CDJR lineup has, a 4-cylinder engine that up until recently no other car in the CDJR lineup had, a 3.2L V6 that no other car in the CDJR lineup has, 2 new drive systems than no other vehicle in the CDJR lineup has. Those items alone were enough to derail a scheduled launch - put other teething issues on top of it and the delays are not totally unexpected.

Derek Kreindler from TTAC notes in an editorial today that "it’s refreshing to see Chrysler resist the temptation to release the car early and simply take the short term payoff (launch on time, avoiding press coverage of delays) in favor of the long term payoff of releasing a well made car, free of defects or major issues. Chrysler deserves to be applauded. Other OEMs would not take such a route." I'm inclined to agree.

On Twitter a few days ago, @KathyatChrysler noted that "1,105 jobs were promised, 1,821 delivered at Chrysler Group's Toledo Assembly Complex via The Toledo Blade." Even with 500 temporary layoffs, they still filled more jobs than they initially stated. That's not a bad thing.

Hopefully Marchionne and the management teams will apply what they've learned to future product launches...and announcements.

18. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Heads have been replaced on multiple vehicles - including Charger, Challenger, GC, minivans. Not sure about Ram, but would assume yes. It seems Wrangler may be the biggest offender though.

Would you rather have no delay and problems in the hands of customers?

19. addicted to dodge

addicted to dodge New Member

I thought the issue with the Pentastar was a 2012 issue. The newer Wranglers and Rams should have the new heads if I am not mistaken.

20. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Well-Known Member

Held back Cherokees and an IPO all in the same day.We have to read between the lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.