AF: AN: Cherokee back in limbo | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Cherokee back in limbo

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by unclejjg, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclejjg

unclejjg Member

I'd rather Fiat be given the blame where the blame is due on a vehicle they had complete control over.

2. All one has to do is read all the pile on negative posts posted in the last few hours to answer the question why Chrysler has been shunning Allpar. These same people would be also complaining if they had released the Cherokees to the public without the fixes.

3. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

2012 and very early 2013. They are on the 3rd head design. So far so good. But we probably won't know for a long time. Some original heads in the 2012 haven't failed yet, and others took tens of thousands of miles.

4. tryphon

tryphon Well-Known Member

Stranger things have happened.... you may be on to something....

And the IPO prospectus also envisions another scenario if the IPO does not go his way: a split between Chrysler and FIAT.... Chrysler may separate from FIAT and be run by a FIAT appointed board, but will be run as separate companies. Back to US cars with no Italian content. A huge step back to 2009. I am sure many Americans would be happy (but not the shareholders...).

5. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of the new Cherokee but I would not wish this many problems or delays on any organization. Any product would be doomed to fail if the general public knew of so many issues prior to its release. Better than post release some would argue but people seem to have adjusted to recalls on new or greatly refreshed products.

6. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Well over 10k, in fact just under 17,000.

7. BEEAH

BEEAH Well-Known Member

I'll check that storage lot off of I75 again today and see if there are still thousands stored there.

8. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

How in the world did we make automatic transmissions and 4WD systems back in the days before computers...!! We must have been geniouses.
    Yes.....I know....I'm being cynical.....it's the 21st century.
    But when they get this fixed.....and they will.....I would be scared to death to take the thing off-road. Once the 'black box' goes you're done. "Wrenching" will be a thing of the past.
    And it all started in 1978 with the dreaded 'ballast resistor'. I always kept a spare in my Ramcharger's glove box.
    Sorry I'm being way too "old School".

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

[sarc]No, it started with the electronic starter. After all, it was electric and could fail where as the crank on the front of the engine would not.[/sarc]

10. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Touche' !

11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The real problem is that nobody is revealing the real problem.....or problems.......facing the Cherokee. We only hear rumors and have speculation.

With hundreds of prototypes built, probably millions of miles logged, and almost 17,000 production units later, they are discovering problem(s)?

A team needs to be put together to determine where this all went wrong and how it can be avoided in the future.

12. Ya I'm sure they are just letting 17k plus units just sit while the "team" is out on vacation doing nothing.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The 6 million dollar team only needs two members, Bob and I.... OK, and JTE...;)

14. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

Nobody is saying they should push the cherokees out with out being fixed. The question is, why are they stumbling upon this problem only now. Theorically, with rebust testing and development, you should be able to weed out Chronic issues before you end up here. But I will say, I think "bit off more than could be chewed" may be the issue here.

The word is, Sergio prescribes extremely tight time tables. Unrealistically so. One might surmise that the engineers and all involved did their very best to meet the timeline but couldn't forsee certain issues. Certainly, with out going all DOJ on you. A refresh applied to the Liberty similar to the Avenger might have breathed new sales life into the Liberty while allowing a longer development time table. Certainly, I think it's fair to say that time was not on the Dart's side either

MoparNorm likes this.
  15. tryphon

You also need me as an interpreter.... ;)

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

:lol:
    You can tell us when we have the schematic upside down...

17. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

In all fairness, odds of it happening again in the future seem less likely. As the aforementioned powertrains will already be out on the street and available. Sergio will likely have a lot less trouble once he is done trying to rush all new powertrains onto the scene.

The only defense I might throw in there is the they've been working pretty hastilly to get things done. 4 years since taking control of Chrysler. That's pretty should in automotive development time, so I think that plays into the issue as well. I have no doubt Sergio is pushing an overly tight timetable on these guys, while also trying to avoid any quality issues. But, it might have made more sense, when he saw the writing on the wall just to come out and say that they were pushing it back by at least 6 months.

18. tryphon

Maybe............

19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I would add a few observations.
    The testing, from what I saw was not that robust. Newbie test drivers, non-Jeepers and those eager to please to keep their jobs.
    Stacking rocks and not being forthcoming about where and how you accomplished a trail, serves no real testing purpose.
    Those trail rides lines were choreographed to the closest inch, to allow the car passage.
    As soon as the off-road magazine test drivers got behind the seat, they started complaining, because they had off-road experience, they weren't newbies and they weren't that eager to please. They drove the car harder than the Chrysler test drivers and the problems jumped out. Inexperienced first timer customers are also going to overdrive the cars.

Sergio's timeline for maximum financial clout was to start selling this car in the 4th quarter of 2012, that didn't happen and the pressure has ratcheted up internally to be intense.
    It's most telling that we haven't heard a word from Manley in many moons.

20. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

A question for the knowledgeable;

One of the reviews I read mentioned that the Cherokee never engaged 9th gear, even mentioning that you would probably need to go 100mph to engage it because it was such a low ratio. How do you fix that with a "flash?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.