AF: AN: Cherokee back in limbo | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Cherokee back in limbo

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by unclejjg, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I suspect they were exagerating a bit, but the software can allow OD to engage at lower speeds or RPMs. The Allpar page lists 9th gear as 0.48 which is more of an overdrive ratio than the 0.67 8th gear of the RWD transmission. But the LX cars using the 8 speed tend to have a lower (numerically) gear ratio so the actual ratio (axle ratio times OD ratio) isn't as great a spread as it feels at first glance.

2. JoshMHam

JoshMHam Member

If it never shifted into 9th, it has nothing to do with how low the ratio is. The shifting program just wasn't meeting the proper criteria to shift into 9th. If it would shift into 9th, then quickly back to 8th (due to lack of power in 9th) then it would be a ratio issue.

3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

You change the shift parameters and shift points, by reprogramming the rpm's at which the trans shifts.
    You can have a physical gear ratio, yet fool the computer into thinking its a different ratio.
    Granted that may skew other parameters, so whether it's simple or not, is yet to be seen.
    I know that by resetting the computer on Wranglers, to accommodate tire size and gear changes, an rpm difference of as little as 100 rpm can really change shift points and mess up the overdrive and fuel economy.
    Not to mention performance.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Ah, but the hand crank could fail to disengage when the engine started, and MANY broken arms were a result of this.

5. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Pure speculation here, as I have no inside info on this subject... but please bear with the thought process.

We have seen Marchionne mess with production schedules and product launches before to suit his "large picture". Is perhaps this Cherokee "delay" merely a way to fire another shot across the VEBA bow and seriously threaten the value of a potential IPO? What better way to give the image of troubles to the outside world ( IE Investors ) than to continually delay a much needed product. With over 17,000 built ( accoring to Oh2o ), I am finding it harder to believe that this delay has anything to do with programming. Just think of the man hours needed to flash those 17,000+ and growing vehicles! Figure 30 mins each, thats 8500 man hours at CURRENT inventory levels.

IMO, this is totally and completely IPO and VEBA manipulation.....

Edit to add: I was and am aware of the issues with the 4x4 systems on the Trailhawks, and that could potentially be a secondary thing. But this is not something that would affect the 2wd versions of this vehicle.

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Danno, it may very well be... But reliable sources seem to really be pushing the EPA angle.

Only time will tell.

7. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Quoted for truth!

8. unclejjg

unclejjg Member

Tell that to the guy who hosted "Unsolved Mysteries".......

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It would seem to be multiple issues.
    Overheating and melting components on Trailhawk. (Reported on Allpar several months ago)
    Shifting issues with both the AWD system and FWD system. (Apparently the 9 speed programming)
    Shifting issues with the transaxle/traction control system. (Reported by the JP test driver)
    For the last several months we have heard Chrysler admit issues, without being specific and saying the delay would take a "few weeks", or "two weeks".
    Insiders say EPA.
    The problems could be, one, none, or all, but it is one year behind M's wanted date.
    So far after billions and much turnover, we have Dart and a lot of smoke. Makes me wonder what is really going to happen.

10. tryphon

tryphon Well-Known Member

All of which effectively lowers the value of Chrysler...no surprise, really!

11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Ah! The intrigue of Italy!
    Didn't the Pope once "give" Milan to France? ;)

12. tryphon

To Napoleon (even though it was not the Pope's to give away in the first place...) ...it later went to Austria and then back to the French via the Italian Savoy family. And this is only Chapter 1 of the book!!!!! ;)

13. Seagondollar

Seagondollar Active Member

I'm not a Norm fan (nothing personal, Norm), but I gotta give a +1 on this one. If this were a normal (no pun intended) well oiled engineering organization, I'd have to grumble. But these guys are rebuilding the force behind the names that we appreciate. If the whole IPO thing doesn't go south, Chrysler will be moving up in the big 3.

addicted to dodge likes this.
  14. Longtimejeep

Longtimejeep Well-Known Member

I hope that's satire. Not much of a future for a company if its' leader would "cut off his nose in spite of his face."

15. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Engineering???

Most are related to programming. I wondering if ZF is helping or not.

16. tryphon

The owner (FIAT) may decide to capitlize by selling off Chrysler (minus Jeep) and expand into the US by using the Jeep card. As for the satire, etc... I have seen big companies do much worse things: in this case it may hurt Chrysler (with the UAW/VEBA probably seen by FIAT as an ungrateful bunch), but it would ultimately help FIAT, which would gain Jeep and plenty of return on the money they invested in the last three years. Chrysler could be picked up by China and I would love to see the UAW deal with Chinese top management..... (they have already forgotten how things were under Daimler...they sure have short memories...)

17. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Well-Known Member

I agree,i hinted at that earlier in the thread.

18. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Chrysler is trying to avoid problems, they will try to fix everything in house before they go to dealers, we have seen in the past that many dealers don't do their job well, so Chrysler will do it.
    Chrysler doesn't want to have the same problems they had in the past with several vehicles, Sergio made it clear, QUALITY before everything, so don't worry, vehicles will be for sale, it doesn't matter if it takes time.
    Just today we were told that customer will be happy to know they will be able to buy one before Christmas !!

19. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Well-Known Member

Bingo

20. Longtimejeep

Longtimejeep Well-Known Member

As has been stated before, VEBA is doing their fiduciary duty for the retirees. Nothing more & certainly, due to their legal obligation, nothing less.
    As for the UAW, they have been very open to the changes since Sergio has taken over.
    As for selling assets, takes me right back to "cutting off your nose in spite of your face."
    Negotiating b.s., nothing more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.