AF: AN: Cherokee back in limbo | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Cherokee back in limbo

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by unclejjg, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Yeah, but that's a trio...

2. y2kyamr6

y2kyamr6 Well-Known Member

All of my Cherokees that are in storage show shipment dates of 10/1-10/3, holding my breath...

3. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The two week shipping delay is for sending them back to the factory.
    :rimshot:

4. Longtimejeep

Longtimejeep Well-Known Member

....hell with it, just gonna throw this coffee out...

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

:lol:
    Now that made me snort water all over my waterproof iPhone...

6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I suspect that the cars are just being pushed out closer to dealers. They do have holding pens they sometimes arrange for that purpose, e.g. football stadium parking lots.

As others have pointed out, the VEBA is run completely separately from the UAW. This idea that the UAW should be punished for not taking Sergio's low-ball offer is simply wrong. The VEBA is doing what it is legally required to do. For all we know, their main goal is simply to get a decent valuation on Chrysler for the negotiations over the rest of their share.

8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

And they did exactly this with the Dart. That's how we got good pics and my quick spin :)

Mike

9. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Finally got a chance to check out a new Cherokee in person... very impressed with the interior, and roomier than I had visualized from the photos. Exterior-wise, the front looks much better "live" than in pictures, don't know if I can get used to the back end, but overall I think it's going to do very well, once they can get it launched and provided there are not any major issues "down the road".

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

That is exactly how I feel about it looks wise. I swear it needs a swing gate and a rear mounted spare but thanks to crash requirements, that's not gonna happen.
    That is exactly how I feel about it looks wise. I swear it needs a swing gate and a rear mounted spare but thanks to crash requirements, that's not gonna happen.

11. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

I concur with the above as well. I sat in it at the Woodward Dream Cruise (they had a Latitude and a Limited you could sit in, and a Trailhawk propped up on fake rocks). Cargo capacity still has me a little concerned (the tailgates were locked so I couldn't really get a good look). I think if I go test drive one I am going to bring my normal travel stuff for 4-5 people, to see if it fits. I usually bring a cooler, tent, 2 chairs and 4 bags. My family is looking into a new smallish SUV, too bad the Durango and Grand get just low enough gas mileage to worry me for my 600 mile per week work commute and weekend traveling. My 2013 AWD Charger is nearly perfect in this regard, but the fact that it has a trunk and not a hatch really limits the effectiveness for me during the weekend travels.

12. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Swing out tire holders run counter to crash tests? How? I would think NVH or the cost of beefing up the surrounding area to handle the weight would be the reason they went away.

13. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Seems to work just fine on Wrangler.
    As far as crash test go. The other items mentioned are likely the reason and possibly CAFE?

14. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

You're probably right on the money with CAFE. Getting rid of the extra weight of a swing out tire carrier is low hanging fruit.

15. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about crash regulations, but "requirements". I can't remember where I saw/read it but the IIHS didn't like the Liberty too much because of its rear mounted spare. I can bet all of the owners of KJs with busted rear glass (and I've seen more than quite a few) don't like them either.

16. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

It looks like it was designed for a rear-mounted spare but it was eliminated at the last minute.

Could they beef up to hatch so that it could still lift with the spare attached? Maybe add a motor or something? Or would that add too much weight and complexity?

17. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Maybe Mopar will have an aftermarket swing out tire carrier, that way Chrysler won't take the CAFE hit (talk about wishful thinking).

18. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

It's coming right after all those Dart accessories......... :innocent:

19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

The Chrysler minivan is getting rid of the spare while Honda is building a vacuum cleaning system into theirs. To me the cleaner needs to stay home but how many buyers who count in available options think that way? No spare vs available vacuum system sounds like a great sales tool.

20. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm sure the aftermarket will fill in on the rear tire carrier front - and thus unburden Jeep from having to deal with the issues it brings.

I'm not so sure that I would be a happy KL Cherokee owner having to swing the tire carrier out of the way every time I needed to open the rear hatch though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.