AF: AN: Chrysler 200 revealed - no camo | Page 10 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Chrysler 200 revealed - no camo

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Dec 13, 2013.

1. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

Are they still planning a Coupe model? Or even a convertible? An AWD 200 Coupe would fit my needs well..

2. Sir Moses Wellington

Sir Moses Wellington Well-Known Member

I'd say it would be quite possible for an AWD model, and seems to be coming no matter what just late availability.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup. Word is still that AWD is coming. Coupe, I don't know.

4. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I hope they can find a way to bring the convertible back.

5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

You will see a convertible before coupe......and the convertible is not very likely.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I suspect Erik is right on the money. I would hope he is wrong about the convertible, but probably not.

7. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Good point but in that situation i think he was looking for any kind of break.

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Pun intended, ;)

9. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

If they don't make a convertible, will this be the first time in decades without a Chrysler-branded convertible on the market?

10. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

IIRC, the first time since 1982.

11. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

There is probably a better case for a convertible if it is shared with another brand or model, although I personally think a case could be made for a stand alone with the right design and marketing. ( looking at it from a consumers viewpoint. )

As this is a vehicle that will probably stay on the same architecture/platform for the next 7-10 years, certainly a convertible/coupe could pay for itself + make a profit.

While I understand the situation in Europe/elsewhere is bad, skimping on new/replacement product is NEVER a good thing.

Sergio has to stop being a wily business man for a moment, and think like a car guy.

Fiat/Chrysler has been starved for product, lets open the gates a little. ( 200/Flavia sedan, wagon, convertible/coupe, fwd, awd, diesel, gas, turbo,) C'mon Sergio, surprise the H*** out of me!

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

How many convertibles has Chrysler sold in the last few years?

What is the profit per unit? The warranty costs?

13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

In the last 200 thread we discussed how the market for convertibles has dropped from nearly 13% to around 7% and how within that 7% only the luxury convertibles have sustained sales similar to pre-recession numbers.

Simply put, the market for medium and entry level convertibles (seasonal and/or recreational) has shrunk to its lowest levels in years. Many potential buyers simply rent convertibles now instead of purchasing them and use their normal car during the week.

Unfortunately, I don't believe, especially with upcoming regulation, that the convertible market will ever make it back to its previous levels. Especially now that large panoramic glass roofs and even slider roofs (ie 500c) have gained more popularity.

Mike

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I think Mike's right. The slider roof is really convenient and avoids most of the expense and trouble of a “real” convertible.

'Course one reason for the lower sales is less attractive product! Still, I think there needs to be a gap of a few years before they jump in again... the market's probably saturated now. People who want ragtops have 'em. Wait five years and jump in again, and there'll be a new market.

15. Sir Moses Wellington

Sir Moses Wellington Well-Known Member

I also feel that the safety aspect has also aided in dropping convertible sales, a lot of people now know how not having a roof over your head affects safety overall, or at least understand it's less safe. I also think that a lot of people far prefer having those panoramic moonroofs that can pop out or be pushed back at times, but most of the time have little to no affect on how warm the car is inside, as well as wind noise.

16. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather see the 200 drop the convertible and for the next gen Avenger/Barracuda or next gen Challenger pick it up in its place. It's a bad sample, but the only convertibles I see are Mustangs so I'd follow suit with a more sporty oriented model.

17. soliday

soliday New Member

That is unfortunate. I was looking forward to another hardtop convertible. My 200 is great for Chicago summers and winters and still has room for a car seat in back.

18. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

And no trunk space when the hardtop is down.

19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I found it funny since back in 2004 Chrysler's marketing ploy was that they were America's Convertible Company with the Crossfire Roadster, Sebring Convertible, and PT Cruiser Convertible! Funny how 10 years changes everything...

20. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

I can live with that. My commute, which is more than 80% of my driving, doesn't require the use of a trunk.