AF: AN: Dodge death or new strategy? | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Dodge death or new strategy?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I liked the plan (Burton Bouwkamp?) from the early 1970s -- Plymouth for mass market cars, Chrysler for upmarket cars, Dodge for trucks!

It would have slashed Chrysler’s marketing costs, ended the confusion and nonsense and in-fighting (or at least cut it back), and made it easier for customers to follow the product onslaught of the 1980s.

They had their own SRT then, too -- they called it Shelby. Some were made by Shelby, some were designed by Shelby, some were neither.

2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

That would be interesting, since no such beast ever existed from the factory. ;)

3. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Sorry, it was an automatic. I wished it was a manual.

4. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

What if the new 200 is significantly larger than the current vehicle? An Accord-sized 200 could straddle the D- and E-segments like the Dart straddles C- and D-segments. This could be their solution for a FWD E-segment sedan: two vehicles, Dart and 200, to cover three segments, C, D, and E.

5. Seagondollar

Seagondollar Active Member

Dodge dead? Ralph Gilles may have put that rumor to rest: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/12/ralph-gilles-responds-to-dodge-rumors-says-brand-is-here-to-st/

I hope that shuts up the gloom & doomers. I want to see a RWD Tigershark/Pentastar car from Dodge. At this point, I won't be picky if it's two door or four door, or whether it has a back seat or not. Just so long as I have an alternative to an automatic transmission (no torque converter, to clarify) and it will challenge the handling of my current 2002 BMW.

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Thanks Seagondollar.

7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

From a GM press release in December 2008:

According to GM, Pontiac may very well become a niche, even one model brand. Supposedly it will be much more focused than it is now, with its lineup made of mostly rebadges.

8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Great, then they can rename the SRT Viper to Dodge Viper :)

hemi_magnum and drew54 like this.
  9. abgwin

abgwin Well-Known Member

I assume your point is saying that as Pontiac went, so goes Dodge.

Except there's no comparison here. This is GM before bankruptcy vs. Chrysler post-bankruptcy. And you're also hearing GM's marketing team instead of a brand CEO.

I trust that what Gilles is saying is true. Here's the actual thread:

trj6610Mr. Gilles, what is this i hear about dodge being done away with in the future? Hope its not true! Im a dodge fan through and through! It would be terrible to let such a great american brand go out!
    6d

10. B10alia

B10alia Well-Known Member

@carstar As for the Koreans, I have a very hard time taking them seriously. They seem (and no, I can't name models off the top of my head, but I'm sure people know what I'm talking about) to borrow styling from other companies. The only real attraction to them seems to be that they're cheap, which the Koreans seem to be doing a lot of lately-- look at how Sony's taking a hit. The same was true with the Japanese cars back when they first came to the U.S., but they were well made, which I have my doubts about on the Korean cars. Just today (may have been on here), I read of several people who had multiple transmission and engine failures (not breakdowns, failures) with low mileage and just about a year on the clock.

Now that I've read a little bit more about this, I can see why it would make very little sense to outright get rid of Dodge. From a seat-of-the-pants observation, even, new Dodges are much more common than new Chryslers on the road. I see at least one Dart (different ones, too) on the way to work every day. If you want to confuse the public, coming out with a new car and sinking a VERY significant amount of money into it, letting it snowball and gather a little momentu mand then changing its name and branding is a great way to do it... and a confusing product is more likely to stay on the shelf.

11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Well, I hope the Hyundai transmissions are not as bad as you say because there is one in our Dart. Also, I think Hyundai & Kia have made progress on many fronts. Several of their cars are now build in the U.S. You might associate Japanese car makers with Sony but then you should associate Korean car makers with Samsung. And they have been on the rise for quite a while now. Hyundai and Kia don't copy in styling anymore. They lead. What might have helped is that they hired their chief design engineer from Audi... Look up Peter Schreyer.

abgwin likes this.
  12. Stratuscaster

The whole "Korean=cheap" thing was over years ago - nice to know folks can let go old thought patterns. :rolleyes:

Schreyer did a great job of defining a "look" for Kia that differs from Hyundai and steps away from the copycat & cheap econobox look it had for a long time. Did so well that he's basically running the whole Kia show now.

Hyundai and Mercedes actually switched lead design guys, if I recall. Hyundai's a bit more avant grade with it's styling, which to me is a good thing.

What both Hyundai and Kia had, was PATIENCE.

13. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Plus, building confidence with their 100k/10 years warranty...

14. Erik Latranyi

Ralph also said funding was approved for a return to NASCAR in 2013.

15. Stratuscaster

Ralph also said that he was happy to meet me. ;)

Perhaps we should analyze everything he has said over his Chrysler career in minute detail and compare it to reality to get a read on just how much Ralph is a liar?

Plans change. The world changes. Could they axe Dodge tomorrow? Absolutely. Are there plans to do so? None that I'm aware of.

16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The Dodge brand predates Chrysler. It is here to stay (IMHO),

17. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

His comment was interpreted out of context. Funding was approved before Penske left.

18. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I mean no disrespect to you fenderbass ... by way of reminder to all of us, the 2013 Charger which was shown at Phoenix Int'l Raceway Spring 2012 stands as a very peculiar witness to their seriousness. Money was set aside; the car was offered up - but they can't interest anybody? The very year their one Dodge guy wins the whole enchilada ...

19. Erik Latranyi

You understand the point.

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

This was discussed in detail in the motorsports section, fully explaining what happened and when. In fact the insider details were so accurate and damning toward management that they pressured Allpar to remove the thread.
    Yes there was funding, however not for the five years requested by Penske, but rather for a much shorter term that did not give Penske a sense of permanency.
    It may have been a classic Marchionne negotiation tactic, such as not agreeing to a recall, then folding later, or telling Italy he is leaving, unless he gets concessions, then moving more production to Italian plants. However in this case, master negotiator, Roger Penske, already had a back-up offer from Ford.
    The gambit failed and Dodge marketing, with many millions more in their kitty, has failed to capitalize the funds into a cohesive marketing plan.

burtstwins and hemi_magnum like this.