NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Does Marchionne grasp lessons of GM-PSA?

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 13, 2017.

1. geraldg

geraldg Active Member Ad-Free Member

I think they should have breath life into the 200 and dart and forgot about Maserati and Alfa Romeo. But I forgot the Italian brands are so much better.

2. mopar22

mopar22 Member

Does everyone forget that the 200 and dart were killed off so they could move a vehicle with higher profit margins into that factory? 200 and dart barley sold then why would they sell more when they would have to cost more to get moved to italy (as that's where alfa's are built)

npaladin2000, danbek, GasAxe and 3 others like this.
  3. DarkSky

DarkSky Cruising Around Level III Supporter

I understand you're sad that the Dart and 200 were gone, but it was necessary. If they forget about Alfa and Maserati, Dodge will have to find another platform to put their next generation vehicles on. This would lead to more delays and less viability for the Dodge brand since their current vehicles would have to live on for several more years.

Maybe at some point they'll be able to put some money into engineering new compact and midsize sedans, but for now it's best to remember that those are shrinking segments and if you're uncompetitive in those segments it's better to channel your funds elsewhere.

4. geraldg

OK now why where the 200 and Dart such failures in the marketplace. This I blame on Sergio shoulders, before making sure most of the bugs where worked out and the right powertrains where there he rushed them into production. Also being at the bottom of the ratings sure didn't help them. The dealership where I work part time the leading seller is the Soul followed by the Sorento and the Optima. And I see a lot of Optimas . So if this market is shrinking somebody tell Kia that. Also it doesn't help to find out that they dropped them and your resale value is in the toilet. So I am sorry but they screwed up big time and instead of fixing the problem they dropped them.

5. DarkSky

I agree that the problem could have been fixed, but Chrysler's bad reputation for midsize sedans wasn't doing the 200 any favors. Chrysler is associated with poor reliability and quality, Kia isn't (at least not to the same extent). It's going to take several generations of midsize sedans and a large investment to change consumers' opinions of Chrysler.

Prabhjot likes this.
  6. geraldg

Also they are coming out with the stinger a rear or all wheel drive to compete with the big guys. So they must not think the market is dying.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

Right again, Dave.

For all the wailing and moaning about how the 300 / Charger / Challenger are riding on an older platform.....it's STILL SUCCESSFUL! In a company with lots of other "problem children"......those cars are the equivalent of "the quiet, well-behaved middle-children". They can actually afford to leave those alone for a little while longer. Doesn't anybody here remember that Ford squeezed 33 YEARS out of the Panther platform?

Marchionne may well be many things. Stupid is not one of them. He knows the most important audience to play to at the moment are the financial analyst types and the shareholders / investors. That debt-elimination plan is basically Holy Scripture now.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    danbek, MoparDanno, djsamuel and 4 others like this.
  8. DarkSky

Apples to oranges. The RWD sports sedan market is different than the mainstream midsize sedan market. It's like comparing a Camry to a 3-Series.

9. geraldg

And they are expanding not retreating.

10. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Member

Hyundai-Kia are import heavy via a conveniently longterm strong $+the huge free trade privileges that come with being a major client state of the usa.

Btw, their net profitability in the usa market and globally is under heavy downward pressure, over the last few years, while that trendline for fca is the exact opposite, with it has to be emphasised EVEN fca Europe, magneti marelli, maserati and fca China, Japan, India and LatAm profitable, lately, since these last are on a different economic post-recession, restructuring etc rhythm or cycle.

Think of fca globally as a poly rhythmic Jazz quintet and NOT as a simple American pop or country music mono-rhythmic band?! Esp since Marchionne apparently loves jazz, instead!;):cool:

djsamuel likes this.
  11. 77 Monaco Brougham

That line just made my whole day!:):p:D

tlc and Prabhjot like this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

77 Monaco Brougham and Prabhjot like this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

I would LOVE to see a Ram version of the Fiat Toro here.......yesterday!

14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Sergio isn't stupid. He is arrogant and doesn't understand the US market as well as he thinks he does.

15. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Chrysler (well Jeep) has the same poor reliability and quality issues with the CUVs. Since they don't understand the root cause for the sedan issues, they are repeating the same thing with CUVs but can get away with it for a while since it's an expanding market. What happens when CUVs reach the saturation point?