NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Does Marchionne grasp lessons of GM-PSA?

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 13, 2017.

1. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

2. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Member

In the long run....dead. FCA does not have the luxury of such carry-on-regardless, stick-to-the-knitting, it may all be ok in the end if we only are hardworking enough+with can-do spirit etc. Neither do most other firms, for that matter: the firm and the brands have a whole bucket-load of other needs, given the other changes in the industry underway AND a likely-soon usa market downturn/margins/profitability-crunch. The firm is still net-debt heavy, no?

It's a no-brainer, really, and given that FCA moved on this earliest and without harming new investments for new more important models, or jobs at any usa plants: more evidence for the er non-mediocrity of fca'smanagement team, i.e., much better than can be said of the managements of GM or Ford or (in this respect) Toyota. We'll see, of course. This argument is one without the next-downturn and/or next oil-price spike evidence yet, after all.

Alexbucks likes this.
  3. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Member

"GM knows nothing about Cerberus "o_Oo_Oo_O....
    GM to Sell GMAC Stake for $14B (at http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/04/03/gm-to-sell-gmac-stake-for-14b.html )
    BTW,GM Executives,Tom LaSorda, and officials both Administrations of the 43-44 Presidents of the United States have stated that Cerberus attempt to sale Chrysler to GM.

Even Sergio himself that Cerberus showed Chrysler "a lack of love" regarding Maintenance.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    guyverfanboy likes this.
  4. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

SM scrapped two models here that outsold the whole FIAT franchise 4 or 5 times. Now Chrysler has no cars but FIAT is still with us. Great gift.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  5. alltel12

alltel12 Member

I agree,...I could drive 75-100 miles in any direction from central Pa and NOT find someone shopping Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep that would be cross shopping Alfas or Maserati.....just look sales totals of Renegade vs 500L

IMHO "reintroducing" Afla to the USA is not a winning bet....$$$ could/should been spent better on other core products.

Citation84, Ian and DarkSky like this.
  6. alltel12

alltel12 Member

Pennsylvania might end up with half a dozen dealerships for each them (F-A-M) til it is all said and done.....and none will be out here where the sidewalks don't reach.....but we do have a lot of CDJR dealers in rural areas that sell cars and trucks

Citation84 and DarkSky like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Reopened thread. Restarting the bickerings -> warnings.

8. Citation84

Citation84 Member

That's an asset to me Aldo. My foolish thinking is that it improves quality over time. Apparently not, right ? A depressing state of affairs. GM was great at introducing low quality products and then improving them to almost mediocre by the end of a model run.

The only constant for my theories is that they always wind up disproven, sadly.

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. geraldg

geraldg Active Member Ad-Free Member

As to Jeep FCA is prostituting the brand . I see Jeeps running around that should be Chryslers or Dodges. You put all your apples in one cart and it is going to bite you in the end. Right now Jeep and Ram are the cash cows but that market could shift tomorrow and if you don't have other product you are in trouble.

aldo90731 and Citation84 like this.
  10. Dave Z

Which is why they haven't dropped Chrysler, and still have Fiat.

djsamuel and tlc like this.
  11. geraldg

geraldg Active Member Ad-Free Member

With very little product.

12. Dave Z

Four cars, one of which sells in numbers that require using a calculator... still twice as many as Fiat. Oh, four cars on three platforms, which is as many platforms as Dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth had during their rear-drive-only years!

13. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

Jeep and Ram being mainstays back in '07 and '08 was a bad thing as many of us recall. Now, it's an overall positive.

AMC-Jeep people were smart enough to keep the road/street worthy 4-Wheel Drive/AWD cars separate from Jeep products, even though those car-based products could kick some pretty serious A$$.

Of course, current Management ain't doin' that. The Road Jeeps are glommed together with the Trail Jeeps - no attempt to note the difference. I wished FCA had honored that "understanding" and put more thought into it.

Water under the bridge; but these are my two cents' worth.

14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

Let's give the company just a "crumb" of credit, shall we? Even THEY must know that Jeep and Ram are not enough.

This why the company is dancing as fast as they can trying to breath life into Maserati and Alfa Romeo.

15. Dave Z

Dodge is a bit delayed because it is so successful right now... and because they don't want to screw up again.

Chrysler is, I think, waiting for 2019 and beyond.

A lot is being done to prevent a failure to deliver on SM’s 2018 promises. I think he believes the analysts would rather he make the numbers on time than anything else. Maybe he's right.

DAGAR, danbek and djsamuel like this.