AF: AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Exploring the 2018 Neon and C-100

The SUSW-based Chrysler 100 has long appeared on long-term plans, but now we’ve heard that there may be some frantic activity around prepping a US-legal Mexican Neon, as well (or instead).

[​IMG]

Susan Rand took the general outlines of the Neon and Fiat Tipo (which it’s based on) and used them to come up with this rendering, showing how the two could be differentiated. The 100 would likely be a different size and format than the Tipo — otherwise, why even think about adapting the Neon?

To answer our own question — because the Chrysler 100 has been dropped in the face of sluggish small car sales, or because it’s a fully new car and not a Tipo with different sheet metal and labels.

Some have speculated that Dodge could have a hatch while Chrysler gets a sedan, or the other way around. Still, any American sedan or hatchback based on the Tipo remains the stuff of speculation.

2. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The least amount of changes to the Tipo is the most likely. Altering it into a hatch or sports car is not realistic. It was not designed for those things.

It is a budget sedan. Period.

If it comes here, it will come as a budget sedan.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And if it happens it has to come with a proper (for the US market) engine. All this speculation in another thread about which Euro-spec engine would be best for Neon/100 shows nothing was learned from the 1.4 powered Dart fiasco.

4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

It would be simple to Improve finishes to give it a more upscale feel. Along with using the peak suspension and drivetrain choices.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

While I agree on being a budget sedan being best for the US... you are incorrect about the hatch.

The Tipo is already designed for a hatch version that will debut in markets outside the US for the 2017 model year.

The Tipo hatch was shown at the 2016 Geneva Auto Show.

[​IMG]

Mike

6. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

You know mike they raise the suspension a bit, upgrade the material finishes and that would really make a nice Chrysler.

james.mooney. and dmcdonald like this.
  7. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

Chrysler in particular would have a fair shake at being a brand if they allowed them to have the 100 in both sedan and hatch since the 200 and Dart might not be around. At least they would have models that could help with those CAFE regulations and nothing to cannibalize sales across the range.

james.mooney., Max Wedge and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. Costas

Costas Active Member

The Tipo is already on sale here in Europe as Sedan, Hatch but also as Station Wagon.

xjgary, james.mooney. and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Just lettin' y' know - the "100" in that pic, is a hatch, the "neon" is a sedan, and the Tipo is (obviously) the wagon. This is the full view of the same image. I lowered the "neon" in the pic as well, an inch or so, and made the wheels slightly larger.

I had the wild-hair of a thought: What if a performance variant of the wagon were called either Magnum or Journey? o.o [probably not, but it's fun to think about]
    [​IMG]
    http://i66.tinypic.com/1z3sdwz.jpg

jimboy, TRaceR and james.mooney. like this.
  10. Mike V.

The easy solution... make the Tipo a small Chrysler car, available in both sedan and hatch variants, and everyone will be happy.

Dodge will get other product that fits the brand image better than the Tipo could.

It's not something to stress over.

Mike

XRT2SRT, danbek, suzq044 and 8 others like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Folks, hatches and wagons do not sell in the US. Sedans still account for 40% of the NAFTA market.

If it comes, it should come as a sedan.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

[sarc]No, the obvious solution is to make one body style the Neon and the other the 100. Or better yet offer a Dodge sedan, Chrysler wagon and Fiat Hatch.
    That way they can continue the incomplete brand lineup/you have to swap brands if you want anything else.[/sarc]

13. Mike V.

Focus had a hatch variant
    Civic will have a hatch variant
    VW has a hatch variant

If they are going to bring it here as a Chrysler and try to break into the market, then they need to come full bore and bring the whole enchilada.

Mike

humdrum, XRT2SRT, danbek and 10 others like this.
  14. Mike V.

Sigh... I know you are being sarcastic, but that is why it should just be a Chrysler model offering both the sedan and hatch variants.

Mike

danbek, james.mooney. and dmcdonald like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

True enough. I have a 1.4 powered Dart and I am learning why owners sell them so quickly.

16. Mike V.

As much as people scream about lack of product for Chrysler brand... here is an opportunity to expand the lineup with a well rounded vehicle.

It still won't be good enough for some people though sadly.

Mike

jimboy, PCRMike, red-jk and 5 others like this.
  17. Mike V.

Well the Tipo is lighter than the Dart so the 1.4 should be better... but I would prefer they just don't use that engine for US consumption on the Tipo if it comes here.

Mike

PCRMike and tlc like this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Despite my sarcastic comment, I agree with you. Though i'm sure the case for the hatch is financially weaker than the sedan and the wagon the weakest of them all.
    You'd think with the trend toward CUVs there's be a revised interest in hatches and wagons too but I don't think there is.

19. BigDaddySRT

BigDaddySRT Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like it will come to North America as a Chrysler NEON... And not a single piece of the car will be Chrysler, it will all be FIAT.

20. Mike V.

Anyone posting that criticized the performance of the Dart needs to realize that bringing the Tipo here as a Dodge will result in the exact same issue.

Tipo is not a performance oriented car and it does not have a performance oriented variant.

Mike

zack_falcon, danbek, tlc and 4 others like this.