AF: AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100 | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Aug 25, 2016.

1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The interior is the same one also used for Fiat Tipo/Aegea hatchback and station wagon, the multimedia system Uconnect 7'' HD LIVE is installed over the dashboard.
    The mexican Dodge Neon uses the other version as well as european Fiat Tipo/Aegea.

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Correct.

3. CivoLee

CivoLee Well-Known Member

Seeing stuff like this makes me really ticked at Marchionne. Quit wasting time looking for a partner, YOU HAVE A COMPACT CAR ALREADY! Put the biggest engine in there that'll fit and boom, there's your compact for the US and Canada. And from a business standpoint, which will be more costly, losing customers to the competition while you look for a partner that knows your (bad) reputation and/or won't be interested in a deal on your terms or tweaking the Tipo/Neon for NHTSA regs?

UN4GTBL and Citation84 like this.
  4. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

Only problem with the Fiat Tipo is that it was developed entirely for European, African and Middle Eastern markets. Given that and how it is only equipped with itty-bitty little engines that don't even make 100 HP I wonder if it may not be up to handling American roads and highways, and that's why they won't bring it over. It's not known if the Tipo's body and chassis has the room/strength to be equipped with a Tigershark, though the fact that its based on the same platform as the Renegade/500X does at least raise the possibility. While Marchionne has made some questionable moves I still have a little bit of faith in him and think there is a good reason behind some of FCA's product decisions. I don't think he is a total bonehead like Rick Wagoner or Bob Nardelli. There is some reason why the Tipo isn't on the way. There has to be something about it that has FCA believing that it won't work over here. Or maybe they are just gunshy about how badly the CUSW platform failed in its car variants.

Prabhjot and serpens like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Fiat Tipo/Aegea/Dodge Neon can use any of the engines / transmissions that can be used in Small family of architectures, from the E-Torg to the 2.4 gasoline Tigershark with 9 speed automatic. It can be installed also the 2.0 diesel turbocharged engines, that have iron blocks and have weight higher than a Tigershark.
    The engine/transmission is only a choice of regional car portfolio/marketing departments.

And there are no crash/safety related problem, otherwise ow is that Ram Promaster City, that is based on an older architecture of Small family of architectures can be sold in U.S.A.?

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Just because the van can pass does not mean the car can pass. There is much more to a crash test than the architecture the vehicle is built on.

7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

That is correct. Also, the crash test for certification is not the same as that used for IIHS testing, which is highly publicized.

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

So The Fiat 500L is not certified for U.S.A. market ?
    The architecture is the same, better to say that the one on Fiat Tipo / Aegea / Dodge Neon is an improved version.
    For the passive safety from region to region the variations are few since it is more expensive to design different variants of the same architecture than use the same.
    Different is for active safety features/design that is adapted to single market legislations.

Most of manufacturers in last years increased the use of so called "global platforms/architectures". For example look at what did Ford or GM using for U.S.A. car models architectures already in use in Europe or using "global platforms" while the outgoing models used U.S.A. specific platform/architecture.

9. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Every vehicle has to be individually crash and emissions tested including model variations of engine and fascia changes.

Just because a related model passed does not guarantee the vehicle in question will pass unless it is actually tested.

Mike

Erik Latranyi and valiant67 like this.
  10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

He denied it or not?

I think that he said something completely other. He said that vehicles on the same architecture are designed with same safety standards in mind. So even if there is a problem for Tipo to be certificated in US than it's a minor problem.

But Tipo is not a car which is designed to break passive safety standard record. We have Giorgio for it. Tipo is designed to pass mandatory test, to have average safety and to be cheap. It's the prime example for appliance. Someone does not like Dart or 200 but IMO they were over engineered for appliance market. Unfortunately few appreciate their pros.

Prabhjot likes this.
  11. Mike V.

I never said the Tipo could not be certified.

I simply said that until it is tested, it's not safe to assume. Strange things have happened in the past where different versions of platforms have not passed because of minor changes that had to be corrected on the back end.

Just like emissions testing, it ain't official until it is official.

Mike

freshforged and valiant67 like this.
  12. Erik Latranyi

....and sometimes the cost to bring a particular design into compliance outweighs the profits. In this, Marchionne is correct.....the auto industry is insanely regulated which drives up costs for everyone.

13. Mike V.

Yes, very true, and it also explains why versions of the same car (but manufactured in other countries) are not imported to certain countries solely because of taxation purposes. There are other factors and you hit that nail on the head.

Mike

valiant67 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

FGA cheerleader understood what I wanted to explain. If a Fiat Tipo / Aegea / Dodge Neon will not be introduced in U.S.A. it is not because safety compliance of the architecture nor for the powertrains.

Instead if one would certify a Fiat Strada/Ram 700 than that architecture would require big investment for the passive safety improvements.

Prabhjot and T_690 like this.
  15. Erik Latranyi

I think we are all saying essentially the same thing.....if they can make money bringing it to the USA, then it makes sense.

16. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

While I do not know if this is true, I suspect that the Tipo was designed to be able to pass US safety and emissions regulations--perhaps not exactly "as it," meaning that some investments may have to be made to modify it to meet those standards. However, it would make sense that these standards were at least taken into consideration and that a plan exists to enable a version of it to pass them.

The two main reasons that I suspect this are:
    1. As others have correctly pointed out, other versions of the platform (500L, 500X/Renegade, Compass, and ProMaster City) are or will soon be sold in the US, so at the very least, FCA has some experience in making vehicles on this platform compliant to US regulations.
    2. Every product plan that has been made public since the Tipo was first under development indicated a Chrysler 100 sedan starting production within a year or so of SOP of the Tipo. This may be a coincidence, as the 100 may well have been planned to be based off the CUSW Dart, but I suspect that the plan was to bring the Tipo to the US as the 100, to slot below the Dart and above the then-planned Dodge B-segment sedan and hatch, as part of the "checkerboarding" sedan strategy for Dodge and Chrysler. (It has been frequently noted on these forums that very little of the Tipo's styling would need to be changed to give it a similar appearance to the 200.) If true, a plan to federalize the Tipo and sell it as the 100 most likely exists.

However, the fact that they may have a plan to sell the Tipo in the US does not mean that they will do it. We know that the entire Chrysler brand strategy was being "re-evaluated" about a year ago due to the US market shift away from sedans. Around that time we heard that the 100 was canceled or that it would not be a sedan but more likely, a CUV (Compass-based?).

So, at this point, FCA likely is deciding or already has decided whether or not to go through with a plan to sell a version of the Tipo in the US. Even if a plan exists, it would still cost money to implement, including any necessary (even if already developed) changes to the vehicle to enable it to meet US standards (safety and emissions) and market expectations (styling, drivetrains, interior quality, content/features, etc.), as well as the costs of certification, industrialization/production, and marketing. If these costs cannot be justified by the vehicle's expected ROI, it won't happen.

Prabhjot and T_690 like this.
  17. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

imo VERY doubtful it will happen, EVEN with the strong $ enabling imports of the Tipo/Neon/whatever from either Turkey or Mexico. Equally imo: a Chrysler-cum-Fiat replacement as a value-for-$/euro un-minivan people mover i.e., like the Journey/Freemont WILL, hopefully in 2018....from Mexico presumably, politics/trade-policy-chaos-meltdowns permitting?

It's greatly doubtful they'll be willing to have the Chrysler brand deploy such a banal, common-currency entry level model in the usa, no matter how inexpensive to make and industrialize by importing with such a strong$ and no matter how product starved the brand is foreseeably. FCA under Marchionne is ruthless on such matters: they did the same at Fiat, and at Lancia and Alfa too since 2006 or so, and at Lancia still, even now, after Fiat and Alfa have finally begun to get a number of SUSTAINABLY profitable/meaningful/brand-compatible all-new models.

@james.mooney.

james.mooney. likes this.
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If the C100 was ready or near ready, they would not be doing a crash Dodge Neon feasibility program.

A C100 would really need the 2.0 engine, not the 1.4. Americans have voted on the 1.4 engine and it’s thumbs down.

(Yes, I have one. And?)

19. JeepandRams

JeepandRams Active Member

Not politically or market feasible. Would rather have a cheaper 500X or Compass.

Next generation version designed for NAFTA, yes.

20. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Maybe, as @JeepandRams mentioned, it is a market or financial feasibility study, not a technical feasibility study? There could also be manufacturing issues that they are looking at. As I implied above, it could be technically possible for the Tipo to be made to meet US regulations and not for it not to be feasible in other ways.

And if their intention is to sell it in the US as a Dodge, that does not bode well for the future of the Chrysler brand, IMHO...

#560 james.mooney., Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016