AF: AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100 | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Selling the Mexican Neon as a Dodge would presumably be to avoid spending the money on a new front fascia and interior since the money has already been spent (remember it's design + tooling).

As I understood it, all three. The technical feasibility would be getting the 1.4 turbo into it (manufacturing, engineering if it's not sold that way already) and making it works properly, by which I mean “with an automatic transmission, acting like a normal 2-liter engine, not some crazy thing that’s a slug until it suddenly takes off.”) Also, if it's not already designed to meet US regulatory needs, can that be done? The C100 was part of the original plan, and it has to meet NCAP, after all.

Market feasibility is probably not much of an issue, it would simply be a low-end Dart replacement which they wouldn’t try too hard to make into a 100,000 car/year proposition, figure 30,000 more per year “natural sales.” Keep in mind it is an existing car!

Financially, I don’t think it’s an issue other than figuring out the prices. Nearly all the expensive work is done and the factory is there anyway. Testing costs and such are there but it’s balanced by the need to have some sort of inexpensive regular sedan.

Citation84 and james.mooney. like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

You are assuming that all Renegade's,for instance, can pass US safety standards. However, as mentioned before, there are other issues at play than simple importation taxation politics. Do you see a Brazilian built Renegade or Compass being sold in the US? Nope.

Mike

#562 Mike V., Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  3. Mike V.

LOL... riiiight. I've been saying this for over a year and everyone scoffs at me about it. Reality is FCA expects to see better results and profits from CUVs than sedans whether that is right or wrong.

Mike

#563 Mike V., Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That's what FCA says. I suspect Reid Bigland would put pressure on to have a better balanced group of vehicles, if someone gets into a dealership you don't say you don't have a car, go to Ford... I would think he'd push for a full range. I do wonder if in the US, it will as some say end up being your local Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Mazda dealer or some such... except that there are very few (and growing fewer) companies that don't compete with Jeep, Dodge, and Ram.

james.mooney. likes this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The Chinese manufacturers do not compete as much and would love to have a foothold in this country..........

valiant67 and Prabhjot like this.
  6. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

No, I'm not. I'm saying I think they thought ahead and that they probably had a plan for how to federalize the Tipo early on in the design and development process.

And that...

7. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

I don't disagree with you.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yes... which is something I’d be concerned about. We know that Ford, GM, and Daimler are were too greedy or short sighted to really consider that...

9. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

What is imo MOST likely is the following: no small(er), economical sedan at till a/the new jv is setup (say with ol' BAIC, as rumoured in the Chinese business press?) for assembly/part-manufacture of the Chrysler 200 (at first) say in 2018/19, in China. Re-Exported-back to Detroit, as it were, exactly as plenty of GM models are (in whole or in large part.) Then, also, possibly a new C300, both also as phev-s: say in 2020?

Would a 50-50 jv with say a BAIC count as a 'Chinese Manufacturer' if they export an American brand back-to-the-usa?

FCA would want to pursue such a jv if only because it'd save a ton of risk-capital, at a time when they have ample better uses for it. 'Chrysler' as a semi-leased-out-to-its-own-jv brand-name, with production tech and distribution/service/marketing controlled.....but with Chinese capital for the most part? Sounds like a 'Good Deal', pun intended! ;-)

PS: As for the new usa administration i believe the chances of REAL, as opposed to twitter-theatrical, trade friction let alone a trade war with China is more or less....nil. Too many large American special interests at stake, including every consumer and all of wall street as well as most corporations, and of course the usa treasury itself, indeed the FED (if it is mindful of the $'s value and status, that is) too.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Prabhjot, I’d like to disagree, but I can’t. Regarding your final paragraph, my main comment is I don’t want to see it bring a spiraling frenzy of posturing in responses.

Prabhjot likes this.
  11. Mike V.

Plans mean nothing until a car is built to the spec and actually crash tested. Simulations don't always show everything.

Mike

valiant67 likes this.
  12. Mike V.

I think all eyes are on Buick and if their Chinese built CUV can be both profitable and successful in the US market.

Nice car, but I could never bring myself to buy one.

Mike

red-jk likes this.
  13. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

The Buick Envision is a thoroughly mediocre CUV unfortunately, but at least it's making its sales targets.

14. Mike V.

If it is making its sales targets, then it's not mediocre, it is profitable.

Mike

15. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Wouldn't consider those two to be mutually exclusive, but I see what you're saying.

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

If Bob is to be believed, they show less than they used to...

Mike V. likes this.
  17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

But we don't know, well at least most of us don't know, if FCA has or has not already made internal crash tests for an eventual U.S.A. Tipo/Aegea/Neon, Chrysler 100 or similar vehicle.
    They do more test than one could image.
    For example there was an article about 3 years ago on an automotive safety publication about the FCA safety crash center in Europe (Orbassano, Italy). Well they were doing at the time more than 500 full scale (= all vehicle) crash tests per year there, more than 500 on HyGe sled and more than 1700 for subparts and components.
    Crash tests are made using different standards used worldwide.

james.mooney. likes this.
  18. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I'd like to know how many people who buy the Buick even know where it is made. I bet that is not something sales people come out and say unless asked directly. My father-in-law has to tow a vehicle behind his RV. A lot of the new cars can't be towed on all 4 wheels. The new Buick is one of the few new crossovers that can be towed that way. He was all set to buy one until I told him it was made in China- he had no idea and salesman never mentioned it. He bought an Acadia instead. Most car media outlets already hate FCA, bringing a car from China (even if it is good) would be a disaster because that's all the auto press would focus on. Unlike the Buick, everyone will know where that car came from.

19. JeepandRams

JeepandRams Active Member

Isn't the Mexican Neon built in Turkey?

20. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

All you gotta do is read the window sticker. Bet you there is a 300% markup on those beasties.