AF: AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100 | Page 31 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Exploring the 2018 Dodge Neon and Chrysler 100

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Aug 25, 2016.

1. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

When a friend of mine got a Wrangler, they went back to the his parent's for a visit with it. His father said "I heard you bought a jeep"; My friend answered "Yep.".
    "What kind of jeep is it?".
    "A Wrangler".
    "What's that?".
    "It's a Jeep, Dad, the big, rugged one".
    "I know it's a jeep, but what make of jeep is it? Is it a Toyota?".
    "It's a Jeep".
    "Stop being smart - I meant what kind of jeep is it? "
    "I'm not being smart. It's a-- look, just come outside and I'll show you"

Outside, to the big olive-green JKU:
    "Okay, there it is..."
    "Oh, a Jeep jeep... why didn't you just say so in the first place!"

Citation84, suzq044, Zagnut27 and 8 others like this.
  2. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Welcome to America.

suzq044 and UN4GTBL like this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The bigger question is do these people see a Jeep Jeep as a REAL Jeep or just a substitute for a Toyota Jeep?

suzq044, Zagnut27 and Prabhjot like this.
  4. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

On a related note, my niece doesn't want me to get a "Jeep" because they kill baby seals and are horrible for the polar bears or something. I asked her which Jeep and she looked at me like I was stupid: "What do you mean, what Jeep? The Jeep!" So maybe part of any problem is they see Jeep Jeep and the ONLY real Jeep. :)

Citation84 and Mr. Fusion like this.
  5. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Well-Known Member

Well, I just read the same anecdote as you, and "substitute for a Toyota Jeep" doesn't seem to be anywhere in the thought process.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And this is why companies spend lots of money defending their trademarks, to differentiate a Jeep from a jeep or a bandaid from a Band-Aid or Jello from jello.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

“Is it a Toyota?”

Because, ya know, if you stray from Toyota/Lexus and Honda, you’re a moron, unless you get a VW (iconoclast), BMW or Mercedes or Audi (snob and/or wealthy and status-conscious), F-150 (cowboy wannabe), or big Chevy SUV (socially acceptable).

suzq044, djsamuel, PCRMike and 4 others like this.
  8. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Car stereotypes need to be over. True, a lot of people buy a Wrangler even though they are never going to go off road, but if they have the money and like how it looks, why not? If I had the money, I'd get an Audi A5 Sportback. Not because I'm a snob or wealthy, but because I love how they look.

"You shouldn't buy x because you aren't x" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you want it, buy it. Period.

But anyway...

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Funny because of friend of mine, a Very Southern type of person, Calls SUV's "Jeeps" and Pick Up's "Trucks". I tried to Correct him but it wouldnt work lol.

10. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Nope. Nothing can get southerners out of their ways. No offense, but I have several in my family. It is impossible. :D:D:D
    Substitute for a Toyota Jeep. I've heard Kias called "Jeeps".

PCRMike likes this.
  11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

When it comes to what people call Jeeps or SUVs/CUVs or trucks, I always think of Bob Sheaves delightfully snark response to such a discussion when he wrote (and I'm paraphrasing); Kiddies, you all drive cars. Real trucks start at much higher GVW.:cool:
    :)

burtstwins, UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  12. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Are you guys serious? People think Toyota's are Jeep's? When was the last one they even got close to making? Back in the 80s or earlier?

I never knew people didn't know what a Jeep brand Jeep was. This is shocking honestly.

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

(shrug) People are weird. I think it's in the US south where most people call any soda "Coke". Then the follow up question is what kind of Coke, Coke or Pepsi?:confused:

One story of how the word "jeep" came to be is that all new, unproven military equipment, be it a vehicle or a can opener, was called a jeep until it proved reliable. It just stuck on the 1/4 ton truck.

UN4GTBL, valiant67 and KrisW like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

There is only one Jeep. It's not a Toyota, or Kia, or Nissan. Great Caesar's ghost, its a mother flipping, gosh dang, dagnabbit, dadgummit Jeep! Fiddlesticks! (Have 2 toddlers so I'm practicing not swearing). :)

Honestly, I don't get the confusion. I've had people tell me they bought a Jeep before, only to find out it was a Suzuki Samurai or a Geo Tracker. I don't think I could formulate a response other than it's "nice".

UN4GTBL and wtxiceman like this.
  15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The reason for "Is it a Toyota?" is that over here in Ireland, most offroad-capable trucks are Toyotas of some description with the occasional Isuzu or Land Rover (for the amateur mechanics...), and the name "jeep" has become a label for any kind of offroad utility truck... or anything that even looks like one.

Jeep has always had the reputation of being solid, but too expensive to buy and to run (the range was gasoline-only until ten years ago), and there was always a big problem with parts availability - a Jeep might break far less often than a Land Rover would, but you can get Land-Rover parts in a matter of days, not weeks.

But, to drag this thread kicking and screaming back on topic... I saw my first FIAT Tipo wagon on Sunday.. it's a very handsome car. I don't know what the market for subcompact wagons is like in the States, but if there was work that needed to be done on it anyway, raising the suspension and marketing it as the "100 crosswagon" might be worth a try.

Prabhjot likes this.
  16. Harry75

Harry75 Active Member

17. npaladin2000

wtxiceman, UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

FCA US brands are strong as they are. I don't want to have to get into another rant about how FCA should have not launched Fiat and Alfa here and just moved those models into the FCA US current portfolio. However, you will hear news soon on a replacement for the Dart in the FCA US lineup some time around early spring.

19. npaladin2000

Let's hope it's a little smaller and a little lighter. Gonna be under Dodge or Chrysler?

suzq044 and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I find the most common one is when someone comes into our dealership saying they're here for a "Jeep". When I ask which one, they are dumbfounded. Many people don't know that the Wrangler is called a Wrangler. I think it may tie into the old TJ/YJ days - s'pose a "JK" is just for guys in the know.

UN4GTBL likes this.