AF: AN: FCA small cars will switch to PSA architecture | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: FCA small cars will switch to PSA architecture

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Aug 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Auto News reports this morning that FCA told its suppliers that “its next generation of small cars will use a platform from PSA Group.”

“In a letter sent in late July and obtained by Automotive News Europe, FCA asked its suppliers to immediately stop any research, development and tooling construction activities on future B-segment (small/subcompact) cars.”

Full article: Fiat Chrysler's small cars to switch to PSA architecture

Ernesto and Dave Z like this.
  2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Future ones.

There was a trio of sub-Renegade sized cars in development for the European market. One Jeep, one Fiat and one Alfa Romeo.

Site of production for this letter is the Tychy, Poland factory, which currently builds the current FIAT 500 and Lancia Ypsilon. Those are the widest cars currently buildable at this plant, so there would have been some additional work needed to move to a "proper" B-Segment car anyway.

(The next, electric, 500 is being built at a new line in Mirafiori, Turin)

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I have no problem with this, oddly enough, though it means yet another delay.

Or not; if PSA pushes FCA to use a more “empowered engineer” system, they could produce in less time. Remember how Chrysler turned around in the 1990s. They cut years off development of new cars even though they were actually redesigning them from the ground up, rather than just modifying the Reliant in yet another way.

I'd like to see a replacement for the Dart someday, though I realize that segment is rapidly fading.

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Tavares model is to buy engineering from outside.

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It is better for them to think to what they do seriously, especially if they start playing with Panda and 500.
    Fiat Panda and 500 have one of the highest fidelity customers base in european market.

Note: The two are not the less expensive ones in their segments and market positioning.
    + are the ones that lower CO2 emission so to sell other models with higher CO2 emissions.

aldo90731 and ScramFan like this.
  7. aldo90731

I’d like to see the return of the platform teams. This is an often-ignored re-structure of Chrysler that produced shorter development times, lower costs, greater flow of new ideas, from the integration of all functions —accounting, engineering, manufacturing, sales and marketing— that resulted in...big fat profits.

It was a prolific time at Chrysler. The cab forward design, LH sedans, 1994 Ram, Dodge/Plymouth Neon, Grand Cherokee, 1996 Sebring convertible, TJ —which completely re-thought the war-era Jeep, PT Cruiser, all came from that.

I remember Toyota was so impressed with how Chrysler designed an entire grille that used only two pieces, that it asked to send an engineering team to visit the Neon plant.

8. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Would this also effect The Renegade? as that is a really advanced B Segment architecture of SUSW exclusive to Jeep.

9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he is bigger cost cutter than cost cutter himself (Ghosn).

FCA is already "leaner company". Less employees for more car production. But FCA spends much more on CAPEX due to more spread across the globe and more diverse car line up. PSA goes from B and stops at D segment, all uni-body, all Eurocentric. FCA has all from A to F segments, uniobody and BOF, three important markets...

What went under the radar is more cost cutting at PSA. One of the lead designers left for Renault. They axed lead platform development guy. And they abandoned one of the headquarters. Or in the last month or two.

AlfaCuda, ScramFan and MJAB like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Maybe, just maybe, because they will soon be joined up with FCA...

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That was quite a new product gusher. Now, it's a trickle.

XRT2SRT, somber, Ernesto and 7 others like this.
  12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't how anything that PSA would do that could make the products come any slower then they do now at FCA. The problem Tavares is going to have is NA. Europe is one thing, they can merge that all together. Here, it's a different beast all together.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  13. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Dave Z likes this.
  14. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

This is a deal for ICE vehicles, not BEVs.

The 500e design is a clean-sheet and BEV-only design (unlike Peugeot's e-CMP, which was a side-project to adapt an existing ICE architecture to accommodate batteries), and as such will likely form the future of the group's efforts in the subcompact BEV segment. There were strong rumors of a parallel project for small ICE cars within FCA, but with this deal, it's likely that that project has been stopped.

An interesting thing about this letter was that it was sent to Tychy, Poland, which only builds A-segment vehicles. In 2021, Toyota will buy PSA out of its share of the factory in Kolin, Czechia that makes the PSA's A-segment cars, 108/C1 and also Toyota's Aygo. It's possible that what we're seeing is a deal for Tychy to become the production site of a joint FIAT/Peugeot/Citroen/Lancia city-car project.

ScramFan likes this.
  15. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

FCA intends to go out of A segment though, like everyone else. And the letter clearly speaks about B segment. Tychy might build small B segment vehicles for Stellantis.

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

This whole merger was about economies of scale, so why is this coming as a surprise to anyone.
    It's very likely we're going to see more of this.

If Chrysler and Lancia wind up on the chopping block, and get replaced with OPEL vehicles in Italy and North America, I'll be terribly saddened, but not surprised

17. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I highly doubt Opel as a brand would be relaunched here in lieu of Chrysler. Launching new brands is super expensive. FCA should be able to speak to that easily given their recent experiences.

18. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Why would Opel be introduced in the USA? The few people who'd know anything about it would associate it with General Motors (It spent nearly ninety years under GM ownership), which is exactly the wrong message.

The FIAT brand isn't leaving Europe.

ScramFan, serpens, Chebby7 and 2 others like this.
  19. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

And that would be bizarre to see Opel in Chrysler and Dodge showrooms. Some folks might wonder if they are in The Twilight Zone? ;)

ScramFan and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I'm not wondering if I'm in The Twilight Zone...

I KNOW I've been living in a gigantic Bizarro-World / Twilight Zone these past 7 months.

At this point, why should ANYTHING surprise us anymore?:p:D