AF: AN: FCA small cars will switch to PSA architecture | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: FCA small cars will switch to PSA architecture

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Aug 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Lancia Ypsilon, that has 4 doors, is a B segment car.
    Its length is 3.83 m, a Fiat 500 about 3.55 - 3.57 m, while a Fiat Panda about 3.65 - 3.70.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

More likely Opel would be relaunched here AS a Chrysler model. Thinking of all those Buick models that were Opels under the skin.

HotCarNut, tabutler, tlc and 4 others like this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

To remember that, you must be "of a certain age", as I am.:D

HotCarNut, AvengerGuy, tlc and 2 others like this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I believe that I am now "beyond" that certain age :D.

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The OpelBuicks...Opuicks...Bupels...weren’t bad cars, having driven a few examples of them over the years. Rebadging Opels as Chryslers wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea, especially considering that their lineup is growing ever thinner. I don’t know what Opel has to offer currently...but I do know Chrysler has zilch. But cars don’t sell well, or so we’ve been told over and over, so does it make sense to bring more over here?

6. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

You don’t have to be that old. The current Buick Regal Tourx is an Opel.

7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

lettera-kuvF-U32001367372003mjC-593x443@Corriere-Web-Torino.JPG

tlc, ScramFan and MJAB like this.
  8. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

And people love that thing. I can see an uplifted version of that take on the Subaru Outback.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

As part of PSA - GM deal the Opel vehicles based on GM platform cannot be sold outside the market where they were already sold not their technology transferred.
    Anyway Opel vehicles are all switching to PSA platforms, even faster than expected. The reason is that alleged fuel efficient technologies that GM had said that were in Opel drawers where not there.

HotCarNut, tlc and ScramFan like this.
  10. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

PSA has bean developing some cars and or CUV’s to be sold in USA as a Peugeot in a couple of years. Im hopping they rebadge them as a Chrysler instead. It seams to me it would be much better then re-introducing another brand in NA.

11. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

There was a lot of badge engineering going on with GM using Opel designs, especially with Buick passenger cars. I don't know how much of the engineering and design talent is left at Opel. It is not out of the realm of possibility to see a Chrysler sedan designed by Opel in the future. Those Opel designed Buick sedans of this past decade were a sales disaster, but FCA has a habit of ignoring history. I also hope the Groupe PSA people understand that Americans have been rejecting the interior styling and sloping roofs that many of their vehicles feature. Chrysler doesn't need to sell a replacement for the recently departed Ford Taurus.

Another point to be made is how will this affect what happens with Latin America. Fiat designs and produces a lot of A-segment vehicles down there. The Doblo van produced in Brazil is generations behind the TOFAS built van we receive as the RAM PMC. Some of the Latin American websites have shown renderings of a Doblo replacement with the latest Strada styling. Most of the SUSW based vehicles from South America and Mexico are Jeeps and light trucks. Except for the Toro, these are B-segment although the Jeep Compass bumps up against the C-segment. Any other FCA B-segment hatches and sedans marketed down there are very old designs.

North America showrooms needs more small vehicles which aren't Jeeps. The A-segment designs from Brazil look great, but are too small for American driving realities. I wouldn't mind allowing some Latin American influence in the design for a Chrysler compact. I don't want another Le Car and fear another one.

cygnus and ScramFan like this.
  12. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

This can go one of two ways:
    1. If Tavares is indeed the pragmatic, savvy executive he is credited to being, he will see the huge savings in time and money in bringing over PSA products to be sold as Chrysler Dodge.
    2. On the other hand, if the team tasked with developing a strategy to bring Peugeot back to North America feels that it has gone too far to stop now, and national pride keep pushing the team to bring Peugeot back to these shores even with a merger, expect a repeat of the Fiat fiasco.
    My guess would be that the Peugeot team is going to keep working on a N.A. strategy until told otherwise. Separately, Tavares must have set up another team to look at the portfolio of brands that the merger will inherit, and develop a thorough brand strategy by region. Once the merger is completed, it’d make sense to fuse the two.

HotCarNut, tlc, Chris mopar and 2 others like this.
  13. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

I had a 75 Opel 1900 with a 4-speed and fuel injection (Ascona). Frame rot @202k was her end. My 2nd Opel (same model) had 247k when it's frame rotted. Seems like 20 years in the mid-Atlantic was about it. The Opel GT's were much worse rust wise. I have to say though that I loved that car. Handled like it was on rails. Slow as everything was back then but still a lot of fun to drive.

14. codypet

The only reason Buick had a sales disaster is because GM didn't know how to market their vehicles. Chrysler historically has done a much better job at mark.........oh wait.

jimboy and Donte Lindsey like this.
  15. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Is this sarcasm, cause the Tour X is/was Buick's worse selling model after it was introduced.
    I loved the Tour X, but Americans hate wagons.

tabutler likes this.
  16. codypet

17. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

they recently offered the Cascada? convertible and a station wagon here as Buicks, both could be easily re-worked into Chryslers

18. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Speaking of Latin America, Chevrolet cars are mainly reskinned Opels like the Corsa and back in time the Opala in Brazil. I wonder what GM will do?

I like that idea, however too bad then GM keep the trademark right and own the name Cascada because "Chrysler Cascada" would ring well to my ears unless we find a loophole and call it "Cascadia" (notice the slightly different spelling).

jimboy likes this.
  19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I would think anything that has a hint of GM will be gone sooner rather than later.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, not sure how they could legally use those vehicles because they were GM products...not sure how any of that works.