AF: AN: FCA small cars will switch to PSA architecture | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: FCA small cars will switch to PSA architecture

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Aug 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Very keen, I've seen their (Aisin) sales brochure. It includes a P2 hybrid transmission BTW. The push to plugin hybrids is slowed by supplier issues and the lack of charging infrastructure across our vast continent. Regular hybrids continue to sell even in the face of cheap fuel.

Toyota's hybrid-drive system enjoys a great reputation here in the US. This is something FCA products struggle to have. The 9-speed and DDCT debacles with FCA vehicles has soured consumer confidence here.

2. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

... but would they be prepared to allow FCA build that under license? The 8HP and 9-speed in US brands are built by FCA, not ZF.

3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I'm unaware of any car maker producing an 8 speed Aisin transmission under a licence.

8 speed FWD transaxle is available as P2 but plug in hybrid and maye P2 full hybrid. I'm unaware of a P2 mild hybrid solution. Actually modern P2 mild hybrids are not mild any more, they are full hybrids but operating at around 50 Volts. They have full hybrid functionality.

Aisin had highlighted their mistake. Mistake of not developing P2 mild hybrid solution which will in the mid term lead to lose of many contracts with European based car makers like BMW and PSA.

P2 mild hybrids are usually complete solutions. Transmission makers provides not only transmission but also all parts including electric motor. That's how ZF is doing it with their transmission for longitudinal engines. I believe that's how Getrag/Magna is doing it with their wet DCT for FWD based cars.

4. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

These are the physical aspects that concern me most when thinking about the developmental sides of this. I hope there are engineers left at FCAUS whom could work their magic on these architectures to bring us class-leading products in the manner in which CHRYSLER CORP INC, had become known for in the early 90s.