AF: AN: It’s official: Supercharged 6.2 Hemi | Page 19 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: It’s official: Supercharged 6.2 Hemi

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, May 20, 2014.

1. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

Is that the first time we've seen those stripes? That looks cool.

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

Yes, you must be thinking of the R/T Classic stripes I posted a couple months ago.

[​IMG]

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

4. JRS200x

Level 2 Supporter

Soooooo... since you apparently live in a hellcat breeding ground... Do they sound great going down the road?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what bloody good the HP and TQ of the Hellcat will turn out to be if the Weight:HP ratio is ultimately a 'speed-bump' ?

I'm just hoping that the 'Most powerful production V8' claim can be made, rather than the watered-down 'Most Powerful Chrysler Production V8'.

It would be sickly comical if they've gone through all this build-up and it turns out to be third place. If that happens, I think that would be it for me ...

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

That's a silly question... YES!
    [​IMG]

Seen this on Park Street in Detroit last night while walking to the Tigers game. This one's paint was peeling from where the bra for testing was secured during testing before the debut.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. JRS200x

Level 2 Supporter

The actual hp number that they give out? Or the real at the crank HP number? Very different things...

georgejetson and Moparian like this.
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Still going to have to wait for final numbers. There is no doubt in my mind, it will be higher than what most people think.

MoparDanno and MoparJoe like this.
  9. o_swas

Level III Supporter

Am I the only one who's worried by the fact that the transmission puked after only a few runs? I realize that the transmission has likely lived a very hard life, but still, I assume it's driven by people who know what they're doing.

10. georgejetson

Supporter

I'm not.

We don't know that car's history, what they were testing, whether that was the production-intent clutch, what tune the engine was in, what kind of tires they were running, or whether any of it is true at all.

Even if the basic story is true, what if that detail is wrong? For instance, what if some guy saw them put the car on the trailer after four passes and concluded that they had toasted the clutch but didn't know for sure? Or what if the engineers got the data they came for after four passes and so they told onlookers that they had toasted the clutch? Or what if something else broke? We have no idea.

MoparDanno likes this.
  11. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

But still a good point was made regarding the clutch's integrity. It has to do a huge amount of work due to the 4400 plus pounds of material (that weight thing again...)

12. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure they will put a clutch in there that can handle the power, its entirely possible that they were testing a particular clutch pack to see how it performed. I know for a fact that SRT spends a lot of time launching their cars at the strip to ensure that the drivetrain will hold up to anything the owners throw at it(in stock form).

MoparDanno and UN4GTBL like this.
  13. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Any idea when they plan to announce the final numbers?

14. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

If it was in fact the transmission..YES!
    But seeing it was reported to be the clutch..which is a WEAR item like brake pads, tires, ect....NO.

15. o_swas

Level III Supporter

Thanks. That makes me feel better.

16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

More than likely at the Woodward Dream Cruise later this summer. Final testing and callabration is being done on the HELLCATs right now. Supposedly the Charger SRT HELLCAT will debut then as well.

17. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is there a requirement that states they need to give specific peak numbers? I know we would all like them too, but maybe they'll just stick with 600/575 with a wink and a nudge. More to the point, if hellcat dynos at 675hp and 625 ft lbs of torque, does an automotive guideline/rule/law state they need to state that, or can they state any number below that?

18. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

As long as the SAE test procedure is followed for EPA and MVSS, no.

Charger Red and georgejetson like this.
  19. georgejetson

Supporter

Color me skeptical. That's the third week of August. The order banks will be open by then. The long-lead media first-drive event is being held in mid-July. I suppose it's possible that they could reveal the HP number at the media event and hope the embargo holds, but that seems like quite a hope.

20. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

As long as they don't invite Jalopnik they should be fine lol

MoparDanno and UN4GTBL like this.