AF: AN: New 2017 Chrysler minivan spy shots | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: New 2017 Chrysler minivan spy shots

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, May 7, 2015.

1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Last I heard was that production start may slide into late Q2.

Not the most reliable information and could be totally wrong.

2. Maybe they learned something from the Cherokee launch.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Well, we know that a revised 9-speed is in the works.....which should solve the Cherokee launch issue......if it has actually solved the problems and delivers a reliable, durable transmission.

We all know that a faulty transmission could doom the new Town & Country from Day 1.

UN4GTBL, Ian, somber and 1 other person like this.
  4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Should be more transmission optinos, 2 automatics and 1 manual. I keep my vehicles for 10 or more years, multiple trips to dealer plus anexpensive failure takes the joy out of owning something. Tired of waiting for transmission issues to be resolved before i buy. Thats why I owned manuals for 30 years. And leased for 20.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

What other automatic option could be used? To my knowledge, other than the 9-speed the only other automatic still made that would be compatible with the Pentastar is the 62TE.

How many - and which - new vehicles have you put off buying for trans issues to be resolved?

Manuals are not the magic solution to the problem. The last manual in a Chrysler minivan was about 30 years ago - they simply did not sell well enough to justify the expense involved.

UN4GTBL and DaveAdmin like this.
  6. They only need one. A good reliable unit that doesn't fail. Shouldn't really be a tall order.

dfarc and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. AdminDave

Staff Member

Much as I would absolutely love a manual transmission minivan, the only reason to use a manual now is for the fun of driving (or cost reduction), and neither works with minivan customers. Long term, with the lower gas mileage, the manual would cost more.

Believe me, if they made a manual transmission mini, I'd be first on line, but I know why they won't. Lower mileage, higher emissions, lower performance, higher cost (engineering amortized over fewer vehicles).

What I'd like even more is the 200 with a manual, that is a fun car if you get the AWD V6.

8. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I guess that's more along the lines of when the next model year usually comes out. I'm really looking forward to the release of details, especially concerning the hybrid version. Does the battery pack conflict with Stow'N Go? Is the hybrid AWD? And, of course, how good is the MPG rating?

9. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

My thought is that it doesn't conflict, but rather eliminates Stow'N'Go for at least the 2nd row.

I'm expecting the MPG to be improved over a non-hybrid, but not by a truly significant amount. I'd be quite happy if it could reach 25MPG city.

10. desavona

desavona Active Member

Does anyone know if the electric AWD be available at launch?

11. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Personal guess, I doubt it. I am thinking they will start with the basics and then add the new technology once they work out the production kinks.

Wil

UN4GTBL, TripleT and Medicin-Man like this.
  12. jerseyjoe

In the new Millennium I am learning there is no magic or solutions. Things just get too complex.
    If all the front drivers used the same manual then the cost would not be prohibitive. Guess you are telling me the previous 6 speed will not work in the new minivan.
    To avoid owning I (we) leased 2 Concords, 1 Intrepid, 1 Diamler Sebing (pure expensive junk), 1 GC loved it, but it had a drinking prblem and our present 300 whitch did not have any issues till we purchased it. Fortunatey we got an extended warenty. I can tell you that the 42RLE will make it to 98,000 if you give it a lot more attention than a 3 speed Torgueflite. My 09 Challenger was purchased at a time when MOPAR might have been scutteled. Used on weekends the 42RLE should not be an issue, lifetime warranty. It's been the best shifting of any of the 4 speeds. All the automatics belonged to my wife. My 1954 Plymouth 3 speed manual, i did blow the rear from too much clutch popping. My 1968 Charger, Charger 2.2, Shelby Charger, and Neon were 4 speed manuals. My 57 Fury, 68 Satellite, 68 Newport, 69 Charger, were real torqueflite, i could not bust them or the motors, drove the like i hated them, tought me a lesson! I did own 2 brand Xs for 6 months tought me more lessons.

ANY QUESTIONS? :)

#552 jerseyjoe, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes. Even if the 6 speed manual transmission is interchangeable between all FWD cars how do you think you will pay for the emissions and crash testing of EACH car with the manual transmission without making it cost prohibitive? You have to certify each car line, not each engine/transmission combo so by putting the manual transmission in all FWD cars you've added million (tens of millions, if not approaching 100 million) of costs you have to cover. So do you raise the cost on all cars or just the ones with the manual transmission (that few people would buy)? How much extra would you pay for a manual transmission?

#553 valiant67, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    JKU12, Moparian and Mike V. like this.
  14. jerseyjoe

You see I always add too much to my statement real purpose was about avoiding the way too meny Poor Chrysler automatics. Its why some otherwise ood vehices disappeared.

I thought certification would be a big drawback. There must be a way to engineer around it, 9 apeed automatic dual clutch stick shift? With more compexity being added to new vehicles every day I am losing interest in new vehicles. I like my hands and feet mechanically connected to the movement of the vehicle. The base 500x with manual trans is looking better every day. Looks like the future, if the car is available world wide there will be economy and satisfaction in numbers. How do the streach limo guys get around making their vehicles? 500x Van anyone?

#554 jerseyjoe, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Prabhjot likes this.
  15. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I agree especially since the Chrysler minivans have "always" "had" transmission issues...

jerseyjoe likes this.
  16. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

And at this point I think it's a toss up between the 62TE and the 9-speed as to which is "better"

The 62TE in our 2011 is a rough transmission, even after reflashes. You feel like you've been rear-ended at times. It's the main complaint with the van, other than the fact that the keys keep dying.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  17. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Interesting, I have never had thes problems with the '12 or the '15.

Wil

18. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

The 62TE in my 200 was flawless while I had it.

19. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

The one in my Journey misbehaved all the time, hunted and seem lost... the 9-spd seems silky smooth to me after that one. The 8spd in my Durango is almost undetectable.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

My friends have a 2014 and it seems much better.

The rental 2014 and 2015 that I've driven are also much better.

Also, ECO mode is horrendous.