AF: AN: New 2017 Chrysler minivan spy shots | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: New 2017 Chrysler minivan spy shots

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, May 7, 2015.

1. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Well, I've never had any mechanical problems with my 62TE, (Knocking on wood right now :)), that I had to keep returning to the dealer for, so, I'd have to take that one over the 9. Last thing I want is to have to return to the dealer for anything. I agree with the harshness, especially the bumping and thumping. The times when you just get on the gas and then immediately have to get back off it for a second for some reason and then back on again. Man, it just hates that! Creeping along in traffic is like getting rear ended sometimes. Lol
    I've never replaced a battery or fob since I bought my van in 2011. Eco button is horrible. Wife hates it and I do too. I got a really bad shudder through the floorboard while driving around the city once and thought OMF I think the transmission is slipping! What a rush! I realized I had hit the "ECO" button while putting something in the console and accidentally turned it on. Man, that thing sucks!

2. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Yeah, when you shift into Drive, I always have the brake pedal pushed all the way to the floor to try and minimize the *THUMP!* as it's bad. And yeah, ECO is terrible.

I've lost track of how many times I've replaced the battery in the keys for the van. The dealer has even done it at least once too. Both of our factory keys have died now. They can be used to start the van, but the remote function of them is dead. We had one replaced already, and the other just died this week. Hopefully it will be replaced too. Ironically the key I bought off ebay for $75 is still working flawlessly. (We needed a 3rd key)

When I compare it to the keys in my Caliber, which are pushing 9 years old, have never had a problem, and I've only replaced the battery in one of the keys I'm disgusted.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  3. MPE426HEMI

Wow, that's weird? I dunno what could be causing them to drain so fast. Makes no sense really.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Ya because they only use the battery when they're activated. Mine has the original battery from 2002. Something's up.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

ECO has one speed... Slow...

Basically put your foot down a little and let the van catch up... Argh!

I have banned it from the van.

Wil

MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

FWIW, I had no issues with ECO mode in a recent 2015 Grand Caravan rental. I was on the hook for the gas and at $3.50 and up at the time, I wanted all the help I could get.
    Drive conservatively and it was not problematic at all.
    Drive it like you stole it and you didn't want ECO mode in the first place.

link3721 likes this.
  7. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

It's really frustrating. I'm glad our van doesn't have the factory alarm, as we'd be constantly setting it off using the metal key to open the door. I refuse to buy another vehicle with these terrible dumbler keys. The biggest pain is that they also just die randomly. So even if you put a brand new battery in it, the remote still doesn't work. Thankfully the immobilizer chip in the key isn't impacted by the key battery being dead or the remote no longer working, so once you are in the van you can start it. The key that just died did give a warning sign I guess though. You had to hold down the bottom left corner of the key with one hand to get the lock or unlock buttons to work. Now nothing happens.

Seeing as the van knows when the remote battery is low, it would be nice if there was an indication of such on the dash. If the new vans use the Enter N Go system, then they shouldn't have this problem as they use different keys.

Agreed. The factory remote keys for my Caliber always work. One still has the original battery in it even. It's almost 9 years old now.

8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I find, at least with our van, that the ECO mode is very slow to down-shift. So if you need to pass somebody or accelerate out of the way of something it is either shifting down 3 gears and going WOT or nothing at all.

And the 2nd gear change is just terrible in ECO mode.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  9. MPE426HEMI

I guess if you live somewhere relatively flat, you might be able to live with it, at times. I live in a place that has lots of hills and such and I find it a PITA. Using it on the highway is useless because to keep to the speed limit/pace in traffic you always have to be kicking it down, so you're not saving any fuel that way. It causes my van to shudder under lower speed especially at the bottom of an gradual incline. Basically, if I wanted a van that felt underpowered, lethargic and like it's 1985 again, I wouldn't have been interested in a V6 with a 6 speed. When I first picked up my van, the salesperson told me not to use it because we didn't have E85 available in our area, Lol. Geez.:rolleyes:

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I'm really hoping that they have the 9-speed issues resolved for the new van.

dfarc, somber and MPE426HEMI like this.
  11. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Haven't had any problems with the transmission on my 2011 Grand Caravan. I agree that ECO mode isn't any fun at all. Haven't had any trouble yet with the keys, either.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  12. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Trade you! :)

I agree and understand that ECO mode isn't meant to be fun, but I find it half-baked.

/my offtopic comment that took the whole thread with it.

13. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Does anyone mind if we leave the 62TE crap in the past? This is the 2017 minivan thread.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Did you mean leave the crap 62TE where it belong in the past or stop talking about it? :p

Point is what ever problems the 9spd has it not a isolated issue and in general is a already better then the hunter thumper in the past.

UN4GTBL and MPE426HEMI like this.
  15. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

Same here for my 11. Finally turned off the ECO button because of how lazy it made my van, much better now.

MPE426HEMI likes this.