AF: AN: Official: 2014 Jeep Cherokee | Page 17 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Official: 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by Allpar News System, Feb 22, 2013.

1. DirtyLarry

DirtyLarry New Member

I think the 2014 Cherokee is horrible and really concerns me where they may be headed with the Jeep brand. It looks like a catfish strung out on meth. Our boys let us down with this one. How can this thing come from the same family as the outstanding looking RAM, Charger, Wrangler, etc. What a mess this thing is.

2. Fury3

Level III Supporter

Owning a '13 Charger and a 2000 Cherokee I definately can see the purpose of change and can appreciate it. I built my Cherokee for offroad and have owned it since new. The new Charger has something that this version of the Cherokee just doesn't have. Asthetics. My old XJ right now is lifted, armored and quite honestly ugly in a way that only offroaders can appreciate and look at with a smile of admiration, by the way, that's a conceit. But before the mods it was quite handsome and capable a true sport utility vehicle. The Grand Cherokee looks good, hell even the Compass "Looks" good. This iteration of the Cherokee does not stir me, if fact, kinda makes me mad that that it doesn't stir me because I wanted to look at it and say "man, I want that!" From the pics I can honestly say... sigh... not so much.

3. ccrider77

ccrider77 New Member

Uglier than anything AMC ever built...

I worked in the automotive industry for years and I understand that Fiat is trying to capitalize on platform sharing to generate new models or revise existing models. However to ignore Jeep's long heritage of producing rugged, purpose-built, off-road capable vehicles and instead badge a modified Alfa as a Jeep and expect people to like it is ludicrous. It might sell if it at least looked like a Jeep, which this doesn't.

A quick note to Fiat-Chrysler - PLEASE do not touch the Wrangler!

4. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Very well said

Mike

Clearly this must be addressed quickly in a second year refresh in my opinion.

Mike

Bill Sample likes this.
  5. robertp5072

robertp5072 New Member

I am sorry but, this is the ugliest thing I have ever seen, since the Subaru Tribeca. This is just butt-ugly, not even desirable. This is not a Jeep, its a Battle star Galactic Space pod...I would rather them spend money to bring back the Dakota and re-due the PT Cruiser at least those were good sellers and very desirable.. All this european design just sucks. Right now, this designer and who ever green lighted this needs to be sent to Syberia

6. strum0

strum0 Member

Never chimed in before so I "hi". I have to say that my first impression of it is SHOCK. It truly is very unJEEP-like. But I am torn. At the same time, I really don't like those headlights, but I do really appreciate the edginess of it all. It's going to make a splash, that's for sure. But I guess the bottom line is that it is ... how can I say... looks a little too Italian. They did need to add a couple more straight lines to maintained it's Northern Ohio heritage. I feel that some of those curved lines were added so that it could be quickly adapted to an Alfa Romeo Kamal vehicle. Looking past it's face, the rest of it looks remarkably attractive and I give the designers some cudos for matching what Range Rover is doing. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh when it's shown at the NYC Auto Show this April.

Steve

7. dominatorishere

dominatorishere New Member

This thing will be a hit among blind drivers.

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The XJ was ignored and never updated...at the end of its life, it was totally behind the competition.

But the Liberty was also ignored and never updated. Yes, it had a makeover that was skin-deep but never addressed the competitive issues of ride, interior room and fuel economy.....at the end of its life, it was totally behind the competition.

Do we see the similarity?

So, can we stop with the XJ sucked and the Liberty sucked routine? Both were best-sellers, but were given no chance to remain best sellers.

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It may be well said...and Strat may have articulated it well, but the problem remains, he read the negative comments of over 100 people and true or not, it has branded this car with at least one hundred people and the readers of their posts.
    It's safe,to say there are thousands who just walked away from Jeep, more people are talking about this thing on the web, than the
    Super Bowl, commercial, so that goodwill has been muted.
    Monday will be the tell, continuing crescendo, or moderated dislike?
    Either way, the fact that Chrysler had to change plans and defend it (the LLC post is back up) with a spin strategy of a new direction, means they are playing from behind.
    Will that negative reaction spur curiosity, or derision?

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Spot on.
    Bob detailed here many times the shortcuts taken by Daimler on the suspension components, low cost parts, etc. etc.Jeep never had a chance...yet it kept Chrysler financially viable enough to be an acquisition target for Fiat.

11. Bill Sample

Bill Sample Well-Known Member

As Erik and others stated the light placement is the major problem to many including me, and my wife as well. I put the '14 Cherokee's appearance in the Ram Ducato league.
    I prefer just about every Cherokee predicted appearance rendering to the actual result. The more recent lighting relocation renderings make it look a lot better but as I think Norm said - get rid of the bottom-feeder look - eliminate the chrome highlight around the lower air intake.

12. ptgt04

ptgt04 New Member

ugly ugly. not really offroad capable, probably keep my old jeep rather than upgrade like I planned, oh well a fiat/jeep was probably to be expected

13. Joberg

Joberg Guest

Hell no! Just one more reason to buy used vehicles instead of new. They should never have stopped building XJ's. Damn dirty shame that they want to ruin the Cherokee name with this. Jeeps should be Jeeps, if they don't want to build Jeeps then they should just let the brand die.

14. Bigun426

Level 2 Supporter

Jeep can sponsor a European football team but Dodge can't sponsor a NASCAR team. To me that is a slap in the face by a cocky SM.

15. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

An XJ would've NEVER met todays standards. So that idea is just dumb, no offense.

Just like the people who think the Dart should be RWD with a v8; even if it was, someone would complain about how it looked. I think we're having the same issue here. It's not a "real" Jeep. The Definition of a JEEP has changed. No longer is everybody going out to play; no longer are people going to spend their 35,000 on an off-road toy.

People like what they BUILD their Jeeps into. In a sense, their own mental image of what a Jeep is. Usually built off a used $200 to $2000 dollar XJ's or Wranglers; I might add. I think the only exception to the rule is the JK Rubicons, honestly. And even then, they're found more as daily-drivers who like the image of Jeep, not necessarily have ever experienced what off-road is. Old-school Jeep enthusiasts would rather build their own vehicle that they aren't afraid to bang-up or void a warranty on. The field has changed, the game needs to change along with it, I think. This is a step in that direction. I think as long is it is BEST IN CLASS off-roadability, then it'll do just fine, sales-wise.

That said, I think if they're going to build CUV's, they should want to build an equivalently-sized wrangler-capable CUV beside it. Just to see which sells better. Traditional, or new-school. You'd probably find both extremely appealing to the masses. A Jeep Wrangler-esque vehicle that was down a size, with a full, permanent roof would be awesome, IMO.

There are many many thousands of people that don't know the difference between 4x4 and AWD. Most of them think its the same thing. Some sort of awesome traction control system. lol

16. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

What will be interesting is if management gets the message or simply gets angy at Jeepers and decide to take it out on the next Wrangler?

17. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

I know that. It just looks like one has higher ground clearance and larger tires. Sorry, I did not word my statement that well.

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Now be nice, some posts are on the verge of being uncivil today.;)
    The idea is not dumb.
    No one has said an XJ type vehicle should remain as it was in 2001. It certainly could be refreshed every few years and still keep it's off road ability, just like Wrangler has AND still meets today's standards.
    I'm not getting the mindset by non-Jeepers (not you) that somehow thinks a capable Jeep can only exist in 1875.
    The XJ still had rear leaf springs for,crying out loud. It didn't have progressive rated springs or tuned shocks, or a hundred things that could have made it improved in ride and comfort, while still maintaining its off road standards.
    Add to a newly tuned suspension, the 3.2 and 8 speed, traction control and a better interior, it would be a world car and unstoppable.

What IS dumb is these new to Jeep managers who's limited experience makes them think that independent suspension is the be all, end all.
    The designer of the famous Mopar torsion bar, independent suspension, was Bob Bachelor, who was also the staunch defender of Jeep straight axle suspension. When he passed, the wisdom and the authority to pushback against management goofs, went out of the equation.

19. oh2o

Level III Supporter

GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) by the way will be 5500 lbs. for the new Cherokee 4x4, just a hundred lbs. less than the Liberty. 5050# for the FWD's.

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

It might be the trail rated version?