Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An old saying

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by geraldg, Jul 16, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Ever hear the remark about how money changed some people, the truth is it didn't change them it just brought out the real person.

chuzz and wolfsblood07 like this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I don't know. I think money has a tendency to change people, especially people who came from nothing. Getting accustomed to the different lifestyle that having a lot of money inevitably brings would change someone. It's adaptation. You adapt to having money and the lifestyle change that comes with it. Most of the time, having a lot of money and material possessions doesn't make you a bad person. It makes some people jealous of you which is usually the real problem.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You can say the same thing about alcohol.

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I don't agree with this either. I'm usually a very responsible person but I was drunk one night and tried to fight one of my close friends. Not something I'd ever do sober because there was no reason for it.

I don't think money or alcohol brings out people's real personality, I think the situation just changes and people react to those changes.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The first thing alcohol does is lowers your inhibitions. It only takes one drink to do that. Things you wouldn't even think of doing, you might do under the influence of alcohol.

wtxiceman and DarkSky like this.
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Exactly. That's why it doesn't bring out your real personality, it just changes your personality.

7. Doug D

Famous last words of a redneck, "Hold my beer, watch this!" :eek:

DC-93 and DarkSky like this.
  8. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I think that a person does not change but money brings out the real person I know a lot of people with money and you would never know they had money. But when people change it is the real person coming out and they show who they really are. A stable person can handle getting wealth and you read about it all the time people winning the lottery and about a year later they are broke. I myself would love to help people that really need help and not brag about it. Remember the old saying a fool and his money are soon parted.

9. Doug D

A friend of mine use to counsel those who came into large sums of money such as the lottery, inheritance, etc. She said on average they blew through the money in less than three years unless they showed some real discipline and invested the money wisely.

DC-93 and RalphP like this.
  10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I think one of the funniest things is after you get money is the friends and family you never knew you had.

DC-93 and RalphP like this.
  11. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I never understood how someone could blow through money like that. How many mansions and Lambos does a person need? I say it half jokingly, but all we need is $3.5 million to have us live comfortably. Pay off all our debts and do some work to the house. Then take the remainder and have a firm like Merril Lynch or Edward Jones or etc invest in low risk mutual funds and treasury bills. If I can get 100K or 150K a year back on interest and dividends, that's all we need. If a person cannot live comfortably on that kind of money, they have serious problems.

Doug D and geraldg like this.
  12. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

You can live on a lot less than that!

13. Kentgossen

Kentgossen New Member

I agree. Money just allows them to do more of what they were doing with less money making the traits more obvious.

14. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Man, I support myself, my wife and my daughter on about $25,000 a year. That's why I'm always home and don't have any toys. EVERY penny I have has to be carefully thought about.

Devildodge likes this.