AF: AN: One Ram van down, two to go | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: One Ram van down, two to go

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

In the complaint I read, the servicing dealer did not have a lift or service bay, large enough to repair/service the Sprinter based motorhome.
    I'm not sure about the selling dealership, but if you buy a motorhome, or even a commercial van from Dodge, it's a huge inconvenience to be away from your home dealer, on either business or vacation, and find out after the fact, you can't get it worked on at any Dodge Dealer.
    That's an issue with slapping Ram badging on the Fiats.
    It comes down to two issues, leave them Fiats and lose sales, or step up and sell more as Rams but certify and train all dealerships to service them.
    Neither is an easy or inexpensive answer.
    I found out the hard way, in 1989, that my selling diesel dealership, didn't have any diesel mechanics. I had to drive 25 additional miles to get it serviced. Not good.

2. fargo59

fargo59 Well-Known Member

i know that the last dealership i worked at was unable to service sprinters as none of the hoists had both the capacity, and over head clearance needed for the high roof versions, let alone RV's. plus the added training. the crossfire left a bad taste in everyone's mouth in terms of "foreign" vehicles. they made no sense, and required so many special tools.
    when the 4500/5500 were launched, many shops couldn't service as parts were too big. the shop i am at now can partially service them, however we cannot do alignments or tires due to the shear size of everything.

3. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

This is where a midget (sorry, vertically challenged) mechanic would come in handy. Don't have to lift the vehicle as high. :p

4. tomtex

tomtex Member

Jeep need a 4x4 jeep van like the old VW Van, and sold around the world?

5. tryphon

tryphon Well-Known Member

6. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

i'm trying to find some more information about the Promaster. does anyone know the start build date? and will there be a 15 passenger version?

i'm trying to put a proposal together to update our fleet. so far, we are leaning towards the ford transit...purely because that has more information about it and will have a 15-passenger version available from the factory.

our fleet moves about 125+ students weekly, and moves 400+ for larger events about twice a quarter. all we use are ex-greyhound MCIs, an international, and Eseries-based minibuses and shuttles. oh, and our entire fleet is 10+ years old (MCIs are 15+)

if there are any fleet managers out there, please pm me...i could use some advice...

7. larryv

Level III Supporter

There won't be a passenger version of the ProMaster, at least not for a while. Commercial (non-finished) uses only.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Production is slated to start in May.

9. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

It looks pretty close in size to the Caravan, and they already have the cargo version of it. Accordingly, money would be much better spent on an offering for which they have nothing comparable.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup. Daily will be here eventually, they've confirmed it.

11. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Scudo is a J/V with PSA and will end within a few years. Rumor has it that commercial version of next gen Caravan CV will also spawn a Scudo replacement.

12. RVC

RVC Active Member

^^^ that would make sense.

13. Hemi 265

Hemi 265 Well-Known Member

I did think of that but wasn't sure if it was bigger.

Thanks, nice info and yes it will make a lot of sense .

14. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

ya, i was afraid of that.