AF: AN: ProMaster RV on its way | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: ProMaster RV on its way

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Allpar News System

Allpar News System Automated System

[​IMG]
    Germany’s Hymer AG, Europe’s largest recreational vehicle (RV) builder, is set to start sales in the United States, after showing two motor homes based on the Fiat Ducato in the United States. The Ducato is currently the basis for nearly half of Hymer’s 47,000 annual production of RVs and trailers. According to RV Business, Hymer will gradually launch both trailers and motor homes in the United States, working through a joint venture with an American company. Hymer builds in nine locations, all in Germany, but is not willing to ship to the US. They are planning two or three models, redesigned to have work with 110 volts and American standard fuels. Initial models may be made in Germany and imported, but American production is planned for the long term. Moving from the Ducato to the Ram ProMaster is not likely to present problems, and may result in some savings, since..

View the original, full post

2. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for a passenger version here pretty soon. Maybe TurtleTop or AmeriTran will get behind the Promaster and/or the Ram chassis cabs.

I have an aging fleet of Eseries vans and minibuses :-(

3. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I'd wait until they are made here. Waiting on RV parts from Germany? "But i wanted to take a vacation this summer!" It's bad enough buying something new made in North America and needing a part in the first few months of production.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup. I think they want to build on the momentum they think they've created already by having something land early. I don't know how that'll work wrt regulations and such, wouldn't they need to use the ProMaster base rather than the Ducato base? I would not get one of the early ones... rushing things out's never good.

It's nice to see, though, that we might be getting an alternative to the sprinters.

Of note, it's a German company and it does use Mercedes chassis for its bigger models, but Fiat for its medium sized ones.

5. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

This vehicle pictured, I assume isn't on a FIAT platform, or at least isn't on the Ducato; I like the front end too much...

6. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

You can put money on a lot of others RV companies including Airstream will jump on this.

7. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The model pictured is, I believe, on a Ford Transit chassis.

8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Looks like a Transit to me.

9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Possibly. The article said Ducato is the chassis used in about half of their motorhomes.
    Curious about the engine used. Many motorhome owners flat tow a smaller lighter vehicle behind them, so that they have a run about vehicle without breaking down base camp.
    Wondering if the 3.0 diesel is rated strong enough to accomplish that?
    Depending upon which manufacturer they team with here, it could be a winner.

10. oruandy

oruandy Active Member

The World’s Fastest Motorhome – A New Record

Performance and motorhomes are not two words that generally go together – despite today’s vans offering a pretty reasonable turn of speed, considering their size and weight.
    However, there’s always someone who has to go that one stage further – and it’s no surprise that they come from the land of unlimited autobahns, BMW, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz! In this case the culprit is a tuning company called Goldschmitt, which has taken a standard Hymer Car motorhome and turned it into a bona fide, Guinness World Record holding speedster.

http://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/archives/2230

[​IMG]

11. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

^ lol - at least they can take the speedy delivery times to a whole new level. xD

12. fargo59

fargo59 Well-Known Member

13. ShanePerrone

ShanePerrone Member

People look at me weird when I say I'm a huge fan of the new van era and where it will position various automakers to finally move on old product. A Ducato with release seats like a nissan nv (so you could vary the position and amount of seats) or older Town and Country would be a remarkable useful hauler. It would lack the show of a modern day pick up, but I hate how massive expensive pick ups can't even haul loads easier than a Town and Country. Sure the Town and Country has the payload limitation, but for anything that heavy and massive I want a group of guys to assist me anyway; which Lowes will do for a small fee. A much smaller fee than the gas needed for a large truck. Always have been a van fan; nothing like the stress of having to move an object that you just cannot with a car.

14. oruandy

oruandy Active Member

Here is the HYMER Tramp Premium 50 which is a really nice "B+" RV. It would compare favorably to any of the Daimler/Sprinter units including the Winnebago View/Navion twins. A couple of differences are the use of chemical toilets w/ removable cassettes vs. black water waste systems on our RV's, and Euro RV's to this point don't have slide outs.

http://www.hymer.com/cms/en/motorhomes/Semi-Integrated/tramp-premium-50/series5.html

15. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

It is. Ford Transit.

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Interesting. Cassettes are normally found here on lower end, lower priced trailers and tent trailers and I have to admit, they are a real pain.
    Slide outs are all the rage here, with even tent trailers and truck campers having them and many trailers and 5th wheels are up to 2 or three slide outs per rig.
    I'm sure both of those issues will be covered by their American partner, if they want good sales, they will have to offer those items.

17. tryphon

tryphon Well-Known Member

This shows that the Ducato, with the right paint job, is really a great looking vehicle!

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

:lol:
    It shows that when you cut away 80% of the body...it's passable. ;)

19. Jackratchett

Level III Supporter

I would buy one!

20. M.O.D.

M.O.D. Well-Known Member

FYI, The Ducato (in either FIAT, Citroen or Peugeot badging) OWNS the Euro RV market with a market share above 50% regardless which market it is sold on or which RV manufacturer uses it as a base.

True the market share is even higher in Italy or France, but it's market leading even in countries where Fiat Cars are not so popular.

(The commercial vehicle part of Fiat, FIAT PROFESSIONAL, has churned out big profits for Fiat largely thanks to Ducato's RV sales)