AF: AN: ProMaster undercuts Sprinter (updated) | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: ProMaster undercuts Sprinter (updated)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Allpar News System

Allpar News System Automated System

[​IMG]
    How does a company compete with a existing player who has a long head start? It helps to undercut their pricing, as Hyundai did for many years, and as the Fiat 500 more recently did versus the Mini line. The Ram ProMaster, accordingly,  undercuts Mercedes’ Sprinter. (As a side note, it’s a Mercedes Sprinter in Canada, but appears to once again be a Freightliner Sprinter in the US, after being a Mercedes and Dodge for a while.) [​IMG]
    Canadian pricing for ProMaster Cargo Van in starts at C$31,395 (not including destination, which we believe will be at least $1,000) for the 1500 model, which carries a 118 inch wheelbase. Going to the medium wheelbase (136”) brings the price up to $32,495. That’s not quite as long as the base Sprinter (144”), nor as high capacity, but the price is a far cry from the lowest Sprinter at C$42,900. To make the..

View the original, full post

2. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

3. RVC

RVC Active Member

Really? LOL!

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

D'oh! It's not on the Ram web site.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

THANK YOU for pointing this out and providing a link.

I have updated the story with a couple of American price points and comparisons (finding out that it's Freightliner Sprinter again!) and will get our ProMaster page updated with all sorts of info later.

Still a good story ;) the old one did not mention Sprinter. Ford Transit is really the big one but I'm not up for that right now.

6. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

No problem Dave. Im very interested in how Promaster pricing compares to the Transit. It looks like my job is gonna keep me on the road for a few more years so im actually in the market for one of these vans.

Edit: The Sprinter is also available in the US as a Mercedes. I just looked at one the other day. It was a 2013 2500 144" WB high roof with an unbelievable 53K price tag!

7. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

The Sprinters on the lot at the dealer in Omaha all had Mercedes grilles a few weeks ago. I don't drive through that neighborhood very often.

8. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

So I guess this answers the question: At what price, ugly?

9. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Yep and both Freightshaker and the three pointed star of satan are advertising the all new 2014 Sprinter so it looks to be a dual make model for the forseable future.
    Yes I will agree the Promaster front clip is ugly but now that im actually in the market for one of these vans for work I find I dont care anymore. Im more interested in cost, capability, and reliability. IMHO the Promaster actually looks pretty good from the a pillar back. Even the FWD is starting to make a case for itself as I sometimes end up in areas with the possibility of decent snow accumulation.

10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Oh man, I love that!

Going to add that to my dumbler and dbag names for them

11. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Thank you ill take a bow for that one :lol:

12. ccrider77

ccrider77 New Member

I was a excited that Ram was going to have a full-size van again. My aging B150, as nice as it is will eventually have to be replaced. I was hoping Fiat would re-badge & re-style the Daily, which IMHO is the better van. Plus the Daily is available in 4WD in Europe. Sadly I'm disappointed by the ProMaster, which to me not only has a front clip only AMC could love, but without a window/passenger version and with a front-drive layout and no V8 option for such a large vehicle is a deal breaker. I need something that can haul passengers in comfort, haul motorcycles, pull a trailer, building materials, camp in and have enough power to pull a trailer over the Grapevine at the speed limit without any problems.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

When I went to the Mercedes site to find Sprinters, they directed me to the Freightliner site. I took that as meaning something ;)

I think Daily will be available. I also think Promaster might really be the better van for you, depending on the trailer weight, with the diesel. It arguably doesn't need the V8 because it has much lower weight than the Daily. (Sprinter, by the way, has no V8 option as far as I know.)

Not sure why front wheel drive would be a deal breaker for you. It has less than 300 horsepower and you're not going offroad, right?

14. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Heres the link to the Mercedes sprinter site.
    http://mbsprinterusa.com/
    None of the new euro style vans have a V8 option. The diesels have effectively taken over that space. One of the reasons im looking at the Promaster/Transit vans is because my job keeps me on the road alot and I want to be able to carry my tool box, motorcycle, and camping gear ect.... all locked up inside the van out away from thieves and weather.
    The two things that concern me with the Promater are the torque on the diesel seems to be low. The other would be ive read that the high roof version comes wirh that full bulkhead seperating the passenger and cargo areas. If thats true then its an automatic deal breaker for me.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Keeping in mind --

318 V8, 1972: 150 hp - 260 lb-ft
    318 V8, 1978: 140 hp - 245 lb-ft
    440 V8, 1978: 190 hp - 305 lb-ft

Diesel V6, 2013: 174 hp - 295 lb-ft
    Gasol V6, 2013: 280 hp - 258 lb-ft

In short, today's V6 gasoline engine easily beats the 1978 318 V8 in both horsepower and torque, while clobbering the 1972 318 in horsepower and matching it in torque.

Today's low-end Fiat diesel clobbers the 318 V8s of the past in both horsepower and torque, period, and comes awfully close to the 1978 440 in torque.

16. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

An observation - locally in media ads for local dealers, "Sprinter" is often mentioned as a separate brand. As in "come see your Chicagoland Mercedes/Smart/Sprinter dealer today."

17. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

I thought my '66 440 had 325 hp and 480 lb-ft. It had sometining like 11.5:1 compression and an 1100 cfm carburetor. It was in a Dodge Monaco sedan. It was a bear to feed: 12 mpg at 65 mph 9 mpg at 80+ mph; premium gas. It had the 3.24:1 rear axle and would have gotten better mileage with the 2.76:1 rear axle.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Though I am sure sales to fleets will be the bigger volume, i'd like to see Dodge get a foothold back with all the independent contractors. All the ones I knew with Dodge B vans went with the Chevy/GMC vans now that Dodge is gone and Sprinter was too high price.

19. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

Is the ProMaster in production yet??? I just caught a cargo version and a chassis can version on a Semi Trailor at my local WalMart. Will post pic in a bit...
    [​IMG]

20. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Amen !!