AF: AN: Ram 1500 Diesel finally official | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Ram 1500 Diesel finally official

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Allpar News System, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

So you really are not in the market for a light duty truck anyway?

Mike

2. ptschett

ptschett Well-Known Member

3. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Well-Known Member

In the future, yes.

Maybe.

My summer one, is set up to pull a 5th wheel camper. I hate using that as a work truck. It's never been in the salt, tows perfectly.....i'll keep that one to the end.

But the work rig......really isn't sized right. 95% of the time it's nearly empty.....the other 5% isn't big enough to be efficient

It does about 22 mpg.....very good for what it is. The problem is the payback time for increased mpg VS cost of a bigger more efficient second rig.

A lot will depend on the economy.....if business picks up.....going with a smaller and adding a bigger truck[likely less then 10k a year so used would be much cheaper]may make sense.

Where fuel $$$, insurance costs goes adds to the variables......

4. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

The Scania 15L V8 makes it's peak power 100 RPM lower, and peak torque 200 RPM lower than the ISX15 - as I mentioned in my other post. More power, more torque, at a lower engine speed. The Scania V8 and the Cummins ISX 15 are both current, modern SCR equipped engines for heavy duty trucks of the same class.

Look at the current Cummins 6.7L and the 6.7L Power Stroke. Still no advantage to the I6.
    Cummins 6.7: [email protected] 2800 RPM, [email protected] 1600 RPM
    Ford 6.7L V8: [email protected] RPM, 800 [email protected] 1600 RPM

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

"Is that Scania smogable or even practical in size and weight at 15 liters?"
    But by saying heavy duty, you answered the question.
    Hardly practical to the discussion of light duty vehicles. ;)

6. AutoTechnician

This is what you said: "An inline six inherently develops more torque than an equal displacement V". I found an example proving you wrong. Then you tried to invalidate my point by saying it doesn't apply to light duty vehicles, while at the same time ignoring my other light-duty diesel example which also proved your comment wrong.

7. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Comments are supplied in the context of the subject matter.

8. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

The inline 6 does it more effeciently, less fuel.

9. AutoTechnician

The current Duramax and Power Stroke get better fuel economy than the current 6.7 Cummins. The old 12-Valve 5.9 Cummins and 7.3 Power Stroke (the 94-98 Trucks) got more or less the same fuel economy. The old GM 6.2/6.5 also achieved decent economy numbers as well.

The Scania V8s more or less get the same fuel economy as other I6 equivalents as well.

Basically, I was just trying to point out that there are a lot of variables to engine design, and that blanket statements such as "An I6 inherently has more torque than a V8 and gets better fuel economy" are not correct.

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

That's assuming one doesn't know the correct definition of inherently. ;)

11. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If we're done bickering here...I'm all for diesel education, but if we can try and keep it relevant to the subject at hand - which is the light-duty Ram 1500 diesel - that would be great.

12. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

I just want it to be so successful that they can not keep up on sales.

13. Ramfan

Ramfan Member

Much as I love the Hemi 8 speed idea I am holding off buy to buy the Ecodiesel as it will do a better job for my tow happy fuel economy useage goals.

BTW I enjoyed the diesel discussion including the 6.7s & 15 liters. I6 vs V8 has always sort of befuddled me.

14. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

In perspective, about $2,000 more than a Hemi, for more torque and better mpg. I forget which mag ran the numbers, but they said the payback would be approx. 35,000 miles, or two years, using average, western US, driving habits.

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

That's been posted multiple times

For the record, the VM costs $4500 move than the Pentastar and $2000 more than a Hemi in a Grand Cherokee.

How many times can it be posted?

Mike

17. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

Well at least one more:
    Hey guys the VM costs $4500!!!

Did you know Diesels are commonly more expensive?? Nooooooooo.

$4500 may be a heck of a premium, but for all intents and purposes, it's a specialty item. This is pretty much true across the board. They ARE more expensive AND they are specialty items, not currently consumed in quantities of the mainstream market. (Except where tractor trailers are concerned, and you are paying a lot for a lot of things, they put a TON of mileage on those things.).

I expect that they will easily sell everyone. If that happens, they may have to visit working with VM to up capacity. Once that happens, then they could make it more readily available across the board. Once that happens, perhaps the premium will go down. Someone else mentioned that VM has stated they can provide some 40k engines a year. Between the Ram and the GC, they will likely max that number out.

Hey guys!!! Hey guys. DID YOU SEE??? $4500 EXTRA FOR THE VM!!!! OMG OMG OMG

DID YOU KNOW DIESELS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE?? DID YOU KNOW THE CUMMINS IS $7800 EXTRA???

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Duckie would LOVE that relaxed pace, he builds 40,000 Pentastars in about 10 days!

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I don't know that it's any more relaxed at the VM plant... slower machines, perhaps, or flex lines sharing with other engines, etc... coupled with a much more complex design... and presumably only one line...

20. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

40k MORE than what they currently are building. Of course I have no idea what that is.
    That is a hang up, if you don't build another plant, you only have access to what ever spare capacity is "layin' around". Sounds like 40k is that number.
    And I figure, if they meet demand, plus some, that could open to the door to discussion of expansion.