AF: AN: Ram gets USPS van contract | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Ram gets USPS van contract

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There is a whiole world of parts and components for Fiat Ducato or PSA ones.

For example there are ehnancement for suspensions, either for the vans or the motorhomes, being van motorhomes or the bigger ones.
    For example there are different springs for front, additional air suspension kits for rear suspension, shocks absorbers, as the Koni FSD in different sizes and types. Than there are also all the front strut substitute, as the Al-Ko ACS, in different weigth rate models, that also rise the front of the motorhome (depends on the conversion weight repatition and weigth).

In general there are a lot of kits and parts tomodify or improve the van or motorhome, even some body parts.

3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I know Hertz is another thread, but their commercial division bought a lot of Ram vehicles in 2019. When I was let go from my airport job at the end of March, there was a lot full of Hertz cargo vans near there. Half were Transits and the others were ProMasters. All of them were waiting to be placed into service. Hertz also bought a lot of Ram 2500 pickups. Almost all of the pickups were placed into service while the vans just sat.

4. Gavin Byrne

Gavin Byrne New Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer Kris. I need to build my own customised van for work purposes which is why I don't want a ready-built one. The reason I wanted a right-hand drive is that its what I'm used to I suppose. I could get used to the left-hand-drive too which would be preferable given that 90% of the countries in the world drive on the right side of the road with left-hand-drive cars/vans

I also didn't know that there would be restrictions on bringing a non-US/Canada vehicle into USA. Something I'll have to look into

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I spent a decent amount of time talking with the ProMaster engineers. The Italian suspensions had the right capacity but would have failed quickly on our poorly paved roads. They had to make many changes to front and rear suspensions at every capacity level.

That, they said, is what took time. The diesel, as I recall, was not available at launch anyway.

tlc likes this.
  6. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Having the steering-wheel on the proper side for the country you're in makes things a lot safer. Also, if you're buying a used van in Ireland (hello from Cork, btw) you'll pay less for a "continental" van model than a RHD.

If you plan to fabricate a camper from a bare van frame, and you've decided that a Ducato is the right base vehicle for your needs, then call to your local FIAT Professional dealership, and they should be able to order you anything from a bare chassis up (details for Ducato here: Your perfect travelling camper van (at https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/fiat-ducato-camper-van ) ). Doing everything yourself could be expensive, though, and you may be better off contacting a manufacturer for a custom-build. For an idea of what's possible on each donor van, have a look at what the existing manufacturers do, e.g. Hymer: HYMER | Reisemobile & Wohnmobile kaufen (at https://www.hymer.com/de/de/modelle/modelluebersicht ) (in German, but the size, weight, base-vehicle and price are obvious)

There are online forums for camper-van and round-the-world trips, and the people there will have far more useful information about the paperwork you'll need to enter certain countries as well as the local rules, and also how to get a vehicle across the sea.

7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I would recommend Adria to @Gavin Byrne
    Adria Mobil (at https://www.adria-mobil.com/ )

8. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. And we'll its been mentioned in the past I'm surprised they have not made a promaster HD or some name like that by this point. Especially after having promaster city on the market a few years. You would think that being on a chassis with a 7 ton. Capacity would be a good way to grow the promaster family. Put a Ram grill on. And we'll there's much more to it question would be is the juice worth the squeeze I guess.

9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Out of curiosity, why did we bring a thread from 2015 to life?

Max Wedge and tabutler like this.
  10. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

The new member found some information he was looking for in a general web search, and probably did not realize the thread was five years old when he hit up @KrisW. I've done the same thing outside of Allpar... :oops:

Edit: While we're on the topic, I still see a ton of new ProMasters in various liveries, so it seems to remain a popular model (well the USPS ones are not new, but hopefully they are serving well). But I haven't heard a peep about the LLV replacement in years.

suzq044 likes this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

BASONE88 and djsamuel like this.
  12. BASONE88

Supporter

Promaster has been an incredible success for/with Amazon. The design just works better. A few years back there were no Promasters available. Amazon delivery was using every type of delivery van they could think of(but Transits seemed to be the go-to). I remember hearing "the Amazon-branded vans will be Mercedes" from an instructor in the field just as the first Promasters were arriving(branded with Amazon).

As these Promasters started filling in delivery fleets, there were a lot of the Aardvark -Transits. These are the tall, long ones. Those Transits went away over the last year and half, I believe, for a number of reasons. They are too long and tall and came back (from day to day delivery) all bashed up. Also, the handbrake (located on the right) makes it extremely difficult to move out of the passenger area to the back. Combine that with a low(car-like), seating position and one can imagine the inconvenience.

Promaster, by contrast, is shorter and the overall height is lower with the same capacity. The handbrake is on the left and the seating is more upright/higher. Therefore, a more commanding field-of-view (among other things) makes them more agreeable/useable. There are other modifications/add-ons to the Promaster which make them even better (for Amazon). To be specific, the branded trucks are better than ones leased from a rental company(but still superior to alternatives IMO).

The Promaster does have issues. One of the worst (I've seen) is where the driver's side door-hinge-actuator attaches to the van-door-seal(not sure if there is a better term). At the attachment point, the actuator is actually breaking/cracking the metal (locally) that comprises the seal. I have only seen this on a few vans, but it is a pretty serious build defect. I am certain with conventional use, this is likely not an issue. But the Amazon delivery drivers are in and out of the door hundreds of times a day.

MJAB and T_690 like this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Good to see the ProMaster making some inroads on the Transit, which was outselling it 10:1 for no reason I could see, other than Ford being much better at dealing with fleet buyers.

Mr. Fusion likes this.